Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

16-08-2012, 10:04   #1
Kintarō Hattori
All Round Nice Guy

Send a message via Skype™ to Kintarō Hattori
This Has to Stop!

I live out in Balbriggan and take the train into town. The station is a hotspot for bikes being stolen or damaged. In my 18 months or so living out there I've gotten off the train, arrived at the cycle rack only to see fellow cyclists in a state of disbelief after having their transport stolen/damaged.

I've been pretty lucky up to this point. I secure my bike with a heavy u-lock and a combination lock around the front wheel/bike stand. While my bike has been interferred with in the past, though never in a big way my luck finally ran out this week.

It seems this week has seen the vandals being quite busy. On Tuesday a fellow had both wheels stolen, while the frame was left locked to the stand.
I turned the corner yesterday and could see from a distance that someone had been at the bike. While giving it a look over another cyclist came down and asked what the damage was. It turns out they'd nicked his saddle, cut the cables for brakes/gears and tried to rip off the brake control/gear shifters. He estimated it'd cost more to fix than the bike was worth. There were other bikes there but their owners weren't on the same train. I didn't look at them but one can only presume that they were victims of damage too.
I got back to my own bike and I guess while they were in the middle of damaging it that they must have been scared off as it was only missing the clamp that held the seat post tight- so I was lucky. They had interferred with both locks but they held tight.

So yes- my luck has run out. I should have taken action before but I'm only doing it now- I know I know. There is no CCTV at the station and there is nowhere secure to lock up the bikes. Bicycles are frequently targetted at the station and I feel that's not good enough- especially when you consider that a monthly train ticket into the city centre is around about €120 per month.

There is from what I gather, a part of the car park that's separated by a fence. I wonder if this could be used to store bikes? Alternatively I'd pay a little each months towards some sort of secure storage if that was possibe.

I've arranged to be on the same train as the chap I met last night. We're going to see if we can get other cyclists to join us in voicing our concerns to IrishRail. It's easy to dismiss an individual but hopefully no so much a group.

If anyone from Balbriggan has had their bike(s) damaged/stolen please drop me a line and we'll take things from there.

Last edited by Kintarō Hattori; 16-08-2012 at 10:17. Reason: Spelling
Advertisement
16-08-2012, 10:07   #2

Someone should invent a devise that will shock anyone who touches your bike and the shock should increase exponentially so to keep scum away, and if it kills them sure they'll be up for a darwin award at the years end
16-08-2012, 10:13   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kintarō Hattori View Post
I live out in Balbriggan and take the train into town. The station is a hotspot for bikes being stolen or damaged. In my 18 months or so living out there I've gotten off the train, arrived at the cycle rack only to see fellow cyclists in a state of disbelief after having their transport stolen/damaged.

I've been pretty lucky up to this point. I secure my bike with a heavy u-lock and a combination lock around the front wheel/bike stand. While my bike has been interferred with in the past, though never in a big way my luck finally ran out this week.

It seems this week has seen the vandals being quite busy. On Tuesday a fellow had both wheels stolen, while the frame was left locked to the stand.
I turned the corner yesterday and could see from a distance that someone had been at the bike. While giving it a look over another cyclist came down and asked what the damage was. It turns out they'd nicked his saddle, cut the cables for brakes/gears and tried to rip off the brake control/gear shifters. He estimated it'd cost more to fix than the bike was worth. There were other bikes there but their owners weren't on the same train. I didn't look at them but one can only presume that they were victims of damage too.
I got back to my own bike and I guess while they were in the middle of damaging it that they must have been scarred off as it was only missing the clamp that held the seat post tight- so I was lucky. They had interferred with both locks but they held tight.

So yes- my luck has run out. I should have taken action before but I'm only doing it now- I know I know. There is no CCTV at the station and there is nowhere secure to lock up the bikes. Bicycles are frequently targetted at the station and I feel that's not good enough- especially when you consider that a monthly train ticket into the city centre is around about €120 per month.

There is from what I gather, a part of the car park that's seperated by a fence. I wonder if this couldn't be used to store bikes? Alternatively I'd pay a little each months towards some sort of secure storage if that was possibe.

I've arranged to be on the same train as the chap I met last night. We're going to see if we can get other cyclists to join us in voicing our concerns to IrishRail. It's easy to dismiss an individual but hopefully no so much a group.

If anyone from Balbriggan has had their bike(s) damaged/stolen please drop me a line and we'll take things from there.
Did you report damage/ theft to the guards?

Have you got onto Irish Rail with pics of the damage and other bikes that have been done over?

Ask them if cctv could be put in as safety and property are at a huge risk.

Even if they only installed the cctv for to protect the property of Irish Rail that would be a start and also get onto Leo V the transport minister.
Thanks from:
16-08-2012, 10:24   #4
RobFowl

I wonder if this should be on the North county Dublin forum too or at least a link to it. Maybe best to ask Beasty about that as he moderates that forum as well.
I'm lucky in that I cycle into Balbriggan but can store the bike at work.
Thanks from:
16-08-2012, 10:43   #5
Beasty
Administrator

I'll put a link to this thread there - I don't want KH to get himself banned for spamming
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
16-08-2012, 10:47   #6
Kintarō Hattori
All Round Nice Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beasty View Post
I'll put a link to this thread there - I don't want KH to get himself banned for spamming
Haha- I wouldn't dream of cross posting sir!
16-08-2012, 10:52   #7
Cookie_Monster

Send a message via Skype™ to Cookie_Monster
TBH what do you expect, leave your bike anywhere unsecure in Dublin and your likely it'll be damaged or nicked. It's a shitty thing to happen but is entirely predictable, especially cos no one gives a damn. Inform the guards and they tell you there's little they can do, inform the like of IE and they say it's not their problem, there's signs there to that effect etc
16-08-2012, 10:59   #8
Kintarō Hattori
All Round Nice Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookie_Monster View Post
TBH what do you expect, leave your bike anywhere unsecure in Dublin and your likely it'll be damaged or nicked. It's a shitty thing to happen but is entirely predictable, especially cos no one gives a damn. Inform the guards and they tell you there's little they can do, inform the like of IE and they say it's not their problem, there's signs there to that effect etc
On one hand yes you're right. That said however it's not good enough and we have to at least try to better the situation that we find ourselves in. If I were to go to IrishRail they can easily dismiss me. Perhaps if we can form a group that won't be so easy to do.
(4) thanks from:
16-08-2012, 11:06   #9
rp
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Sorry to hear your bike got robbed. At Maynooth they have recently installed pay-for bike lockers:

dunno if they plan to roll these out for all commuter stations, but it would seem like they should.
Try mailing these guys to see if they have plans: sales@bikelocker.ie
Advertisement
16-08-2012, 11:15   #10
Mycroft H

We should all buy rifles and have some night time target practice

Serious question? Have you contacted AGS? Secondly, I never lock my bike at a train station, maynooth used to be the very same.
16-08-2012, 11:22   #11
hardCopy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rp View Post
Sorry to hear your bike got robbed. At Maynooth they have recently installed pay-for bike lockers:
http://www.taxsaver.ie/Global/BikeLo...t%20inside.JPG
dunno if they plan to roll these out for all commuter stations, but it would seem like they should.
Try mailing these guys to see if they have plans: sales@bikelocker.ie
Sadly, I can only imagine that the presence of these lockers will result in even less sympathy for people who don't use them.

"Bikes left at owners risk" is just not good enough. Bike storage should really be positioned in sight of the ticket desk, or at least in CCTV range.
(2) thanks from:
16-08-2012, 11:36   #12
mossym

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardCopy View Post

"Bikes left at owners risk" is just not good enough. Bike storage should really be positioned in sight of the ticket desk, .
does that put responsibility on the person behind the ticket desk to intervene if something happens?not sure many ticket agents would fancy dealing with a group of yobs messing with bikes
16-08-2012, 11:40   #13
morana

Ah Balbriggan! this is the District that is overlooking the Swords CC league races.

anyway I know its an awful feeling when it happens I hope your action has positive results. I dont know if CI can play any role in your effort but if you think we can give us a shout and we can see what we can do.
(2) thanks from:
16-08-2012, 12:24   #14
buffalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossym View Post
does that put responsibility on the person behind the ticket desk to intervene if something happens?not sure many ticket agents would fancy dealing with a group of yobs messing with bikes
No, but it leaves little excuse as to why the Gardaí weren't called. It's not easy to secure a public parking place without either CCTV or a human presence. Seeing as how there's someone at the station during business hours, why not give them the ability to keep an eye on the car/bike park too? Sounds like these guys ran riot, must've been there for a significant length of time, and nobody did a thing.
Thanks from:
16-08-2012, 13:42   #15
Con41

I think Gormanstown station has a bicycle lock up facility - the Maynooth one looks good but with Irish rail losing money hand over fist, I can 't see them putting bicycle security anywhere near the top of their list.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion