Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

16-07-2012, 09:23   #46
Scioch
Closed Account

I got a cheque from "State Savings" the other day, reckons I won some money. Looked like the real deal and all and the numbers even matched my actual prize bonds. How they knew I had those is anyone's guess.

Didnt fool me though, no sir. Ripped that bitch up and binned it right away. You'd want to get up pretty early in the morning to put one over on old smeggers.
Advertisement
16-07-2012, 09:26   #47
urbanledge

i got one about 5mins after looking at the thread!
16-07-2012, 09:35   #48
PogMoThoin
Closed Account

Donedeal? Has anyone got one of these texts and not had an ad on donedeal?
16-07-2012, 09:40   #49
Captain Morgan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PogMoThoin View Post
Donedeal? Has anyone got one of these texts and not had an ad on donedeal?
Yeah I've got about 5/6 different ones in the last couple of weeks. Never had an ad on Done Deal.

The mother-in-law also got one and she wouldn't have put her number anywhere online.
16-07-2012, 09:50   #50
oppenheimer1

I'm going to put this out there and say that there is perhaps a rogue app for a smartphone thats downloading peoples contacts?

That would be my reasonable guess as to where the numbers are coming from.
Advertisement
16-07-2012, 10:24   #51
Jester252

My sister is a millionaire now
16-07-2012, 10:30   #52
Thanos

Quote:
Originally Posted by oppenheimer1 View Post
I'm going to put this out there and say that there is perhaps a rogue app for a smartphone thats downloading peoples contacts?

Not sure it is this, I do not have a smart phone (4 year old Nokia) and I got 2 yesterday....?!?!

was wondering if it was some sort of random dialer macine that just goes through all the numbers until it gets a hit, then send the message?
16-07-2012, 10:40   #53
kart
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanos View Post
Not sure it is this, I do not have a smart phone (4 year old Nokia) and I got 2 yesterday....?!?!

was wondering if it was some sort of random dialer macine that just goes through all the numbers until it gets a hit, then send the message?
I havent gotten any of these txts, and yet, my number is very public and out there everywhere. At least one of them anyway.

I recon thats what it is. It is TOTALLY random, but once you get one txt ur number is listed as a number in use and then they all keep sending you. The first message you get is totally random. They dont need to go through any donedeal ads or anything. It is easy to come up with random numbers one u know they all start with 085, 086, 087, 089 and so on. U just make up 7 numbers after that, chances are they hit home every now and then and if the txt goes through u keep a list of these numbers and keep sending to same ones plus list is growing every day.

Going through any ads or trying to "find" numbers in internet would be too much hassle for them.
16-07-2012, 11:18   #54
humbert

Send a message via Skype™ to humbert
Quote:
Originally Posted by oppenheimer1 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanos View Post
Not impossible. Your number could be in someone else's contacts.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
16-07-2012, 18:47   #55
validusername1

Yeah, I got one about 2 weeks ago from an American number saying ''CONGRATULATIONS! You are Ireland's WINNER OF THE DAY! Go to http://www.apple.ie.totalfreegiveaway.com to claim your prize. Must claim within 24 hours.''

Then I got another text from an English number yesterday saying ''CONGRATS! YOUR MOBILE NUMBER HAS WON $2,000,000 USD IN THE FREELOTTO MOBILE PROMO. FOR CLAIMS SEND MAIL WITH NAME TO claimsfunds@live.co.uk & CALL +447045750703.''

Wouldn't mind but you'd think they'd pick a more realistic amount rather than 2 million dollars, and their e-mail address is a hotmail address, what sort of lotto company has a hotmail address? Haha, I really wonder if anybody is dumb enough to fall for these things. I don't know where they'd have gotten my number.
16-07-2012, 19:23   #56
Alice1

Yep, got one yesterday - the BBC one. Janey, it was a bit obvious like - even my daughter said "you couldn't have won, Mummy cos you didn't enter any draw"
16-07-2012, 19:53   #57
bewhiched

Text

Yeah got one this evening
16-07-2012, 20:15   #58
caitmb

Judging by all the replies on here I wouldn't want to have the scammers phone bills!! I got 2 txts ,one telling me I won £1,000,000 and the other $2,000,000. Both from english numbers. Someone has to fall for this ****e or it wouldn't be worth their while surely? Ask Joe probably has a special lined up on this one....
16-07-2012, 20:39   #59
Baneblade

got the free lotto one yesterday (uk mobile) and a microsoft uk promo one this morning (USA, dallas) and one from the "free lotto uk" last week (uk mobile)
16-07-2012, 21:04   #60
derb12

I had never received anything like this on my phone but I got 2 of them in the last 3 days.
Very careful with my number usually, I only ever give it where there is a genuine possibility that it'll be needed - like for Tesco online shopping if they can't find my house. Or Aerlingus or Ryanair - I've probably given it to them as well. I always just put in random numbers otherwise.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion