Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Updated look for the site (part2)

• 11-07-2012 9:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭

Hi All,

For those that haven’t already experienced it, We’d like to introduce you to the Boards.ie new Beta Skin (This link switches the skin on for you). – Should you wish to revert to the old look Boards.ie, you can do that by clicking HERE.

We’ve gathered to all the feedback to date and this version now features:

- An updated header > Slightly tweaked layout and altered the colours slightly to make it easier on the eye

- Appearance Settings > Hover over your name, and you’ll now see a link to ‘Appearance Settings’. Here you can change how the Notification Badge works, Unstick the Header, Enable Cozy Mode and Full Width Mode. NOTE: The last 2 are EXPERIMENTAL. They may be buggy. We’re also, right now, not committing to fixing any bugs related to these to switches.

We are also hard working on ‘Themes’. As previously mentioned, it will initially be a Dark Theme and a Grey Theme as well as this current default, White Theme. They will be added soon, so bear with us.

As before, we’re open to any / all feedback, good and bad. We are very aware that things being too white is an issue for some (and the themes will take care of this when they are added soon) and that some found there was too much space (cozy mode should address this as well).

Known, common issues
    • iPad compatibility - We know there are issues with iPads. Full testing has not been done on any iPad. The skin was designed for full PCs like netbooks, laptops and desktops with the idea being the touch site may see improvements similar to the new skin in the future. This isn't to say we're leaving iPad users in the dark, but that they're not our target audience currently but we will improve things as we go along
    • Jump to unread posts/spacebar/pgdn/pgup scrolling can get blocked by the sticky header - We are aware of this

Finally, here is the original post from the first feedback thread for those who haven’t read it yet.
    Dav wrote: »
    I'd like to introduce you all to Tony who is our new Product Manager. Tony's been with us for 5 weeks now and this has been the first project he's been involved with. His work will focus on User Interface/User Experience so this was an ideal place for him to start.
    There has been a lot of hard work going on the past number of months here in Boards.ie towers to improve the experience that is had by one and all on Boards.ie. With this new Beta skin, Boards.ie has been given a bit of a face lift and some new features added. Most, if not all, of what you’re used to on Boards.ie is still present and accounted for, though some of it may have gotten repositioned to make the over all experience more consistent with current standards out there.

On top of this, we've got a new Registration process which will be going live when we've finalised this skin (which will become the default for all visitors and members alike unless you've specified a different skin). The new Registration will hopefully cut out a lot of the spam we see as it will require the person registering to go look at a random post and submit an answer to a test question based on it.

Here are some of the Feature Highlights for the Boards.ie new Beta skin:

Omni-Search-Navigation - In the header you will now see the new search box. You can use this to search for anything across the site, navigate anywhere in the site or search for members. Just start typing the forum you want to go to, the user you’re looking for or the term you want to find, and the results will start appearing as you type. For example, if you type ‘Xbox’ in the search bar you will see the Xbox Forum, followed by the ability to search the site for the term ‘Xbox’ and then any members with ‘Xbox’ in their user name. Hitting Enter after typing your search term will bring you to a search results page as normal. Pressing the down arrow on your keyboard and hitting enter when selecting the forum will navigate you to that forum. When in a forum, you can start searching and this time you will have the option to search within that forum only, or the whole of Boards.ie. The other search result options are also present.

Breadcrumbs - Just below the Boards.ie logo we’ve placed the breadcrumb trail. Here you can see exactly where you are, and the ability to navigate up levels.

"Sticky" header - the menu and omni-search and breadcrumbs will remain floating over the content as you scroll up and down the page. This can be disabled by going here, scrolling to the bottom of the page, ticking the box beside "Disable sticky header" and clicking Save.

Category Navigation - The categories are all listed along the top of the site. By default, the header is in ‘Sticky’ mode (it can be unstuck if in the User Control Panel). Move your mouse over the category and the menu will expand. Click the expand icon to show the subcategories. When you find the one you’re looking for, click the text link to navigate.

Follow Forum / Thread - This feature is now more prominent on the site. You can go to any forum and ‘Follow’ it. This will then be added to the ‘My Forums’ dropdown in the upper right of the screen. If there is new content in the forum, there will be an ‘*’ at the end of the forum title.

When you follow a thread (either by clicking the ‘Follow Thread’ Button, or replying to the thread and subscribing to it, it will be added to the ‘Followed Threads’ list in the Member Dropdown. As threads get new content you will see the number increase. So, for example, if you’re following 10 threads and 9 of the threads have had new posts (there could be multiple posts in any given thread, but it will be counted as a single update), you will see a ‘9’ in the notification counter to signify that 9 of your threads have new content.

Button Positions - The buttons around the site have been repositioned to make them more consistent. When reply, the reply button will always be on the right, and have the primary action colour (in this case blue). Everywhere on the site, when there are multiple buttons, the primary action for the group is always the button in blue.

General Design - We’ve increased the amount of padding around elements around the site to make it easier on the eye and easier to read. Because we’ve tightened up the header, the amount of content that you see on screen is generally the same as the old version of Boards.ie.

Over the next few months we’ll be tweaking the various Boards.ie product (mobile site, website and any other Boards.ie products) to create a consistent experience across all facets of Boards.ie.

We’re looking for any / all feedback on the site, good and bad. Because this is ultimately still a beta, we are particularly interested in any bugs you might find, or if there is a feature that you have found to be missing. If you would like to leave feedback, it would be a big help to us if you could submit it like this:
    Type: Bug / Design / Missing Feature / Feature Suggestion / Other
    Issue: insert text here, screen shots are helpful if you can manage it
    Browser & OS: What browser version you're using to help us replicate and track the issue more quickly
    Screen Resolution: what res your screen's running at - can be quite important in design issues.

Thanks,
    Tony and all the Boards.ie Team
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

How come the bar on top doesn't scroll down when I do? Was it too clunky or something? What if it's just the list of forums that follow you down? Eh? EH?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭Boards.ie: Tony

How come the bar on top doesn't scroll down when I do? Was it too clunky or something? What if it's just the list of forums that follow you down? Eh? EH?

It should. Try refreshing and see if that fixes it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Header bar is still too big

I have the header turned off, yet it's still follwing down the page

Also, while typing this, I cannot see the top of the text box because the header is blocking it

Tallon wrote: »
    Header bar is too still too big

*cough* try cozy mode *cough*

It should. Try refreshing and see if that fixes it.

It didn't until my girlfriend tried it there (didn't work for her either). Apparently you have to click on save changes in Appearance Settings, even if the Sticky Header box is already checked.

• Advertisement

It didn't until my girlfriend tried it there (didn't work for her either). Apparently you have to click on save changes in Appearance Settings, even if the Sticky Header box is already checked.

It's just a little glitch with the rollout and what you've cached locally. Logging out and back in again should address that!

It's just a little glitch with the rollout and what you've cached locally. Logging out and back in again should address that!

No need, it's working grand for me now. Thanks anyway. Tell Nicola I said hello.

*cough* try cozy mode *cough*
    So the size of the lines on the Subscription page defaults to 'cozy mode' too?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

Just noticed that the breadcrumbs images at the bottom on the page seem to have some darker\differing grey from the background.

212708.jpg

Broswer Firefox 10.0.2

EDIT Just spotted you seem to be using the same image for the header and footer breadcrumbs -
    Header - http://b-static.net/www/i/breadcrumb_divider.png
    Footer - http://b-static.net/www/i/breadcrumb_divider.png

Also I have noticed a lot of bugs when viewing the site on an IPad, e.g
    • My Forums drop down doesn't seem to work in a thread or forum but works from home page
    • The view 1st unread post in a thread has to be pressed twice to work
    • Youtube/embedded videos seem to overscroll the sticky header when scrolling.

Also is there a list of current open issues?

BTW somebody should update Dav's announcement Link to point to this new thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

I can find the 'New Posts' tab.

:D

Only negitive is that for looks wise, I think I slightly prefered the last update from last week, appears to be more white space with this one. Although currently playing with the Cozy and Full width modes.

Otherwise its looking good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

ah change for changes sake :rolleyes::rolleyes:

the current menu navigation looks and works superbly, its neat and tidy, the only thing it doesnt do is follow you, now you have this stupid pre 1995 navigation bar following you everywhere, why not have the current bar follow you, just that little sliver of the page,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Paddy

tommycahir wrote: »

Done

don ramo wrote: »
    ah change for changes sake :rolleyes::rolleyes:

the current menu navigation looks and works superbly, its neat and tidy, the only thing it doesnt do is follow you, now you have this stupid pre 1995 navigation bar following you everywhere, why not have the current bar follow you, just that little sliver of the page,

Try logging out and back in again.
    There seems to be a conflict with the local cache on some people's computers.
    The header, unless you've changed the setting to 'unstick it' should follow you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

I was just working on that and it's live now, thanks for the reminder Tommy :)

So the size of the lines on the Subscription page defaults to 'cozy mode' too?

what do you mean?

• Administrators Posts: 53,342 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Is there any need for the "Switch to old look" link?

I just clicked it by accident - quite annoying.

awec wrote: »
    Is there any need for the "Switch to old look" link?

I just clicked it by accident - quite annoying.

Unfortunately, there is for the moment.
    It's just a temporary thing that we're going to leave there for a couple of weeks.

what do you mean?
    When you switch to 'Cozy mode' the subscription page changes from large formatting (Like the Touch site) to more compact closer together 'cells'

When you switch to 'Cozy mode' the subscription page changes from large formatting (Like the Touch site) to more compact closer together 'cells'

Unfortunately, there's no way to have the best of both. It's either cozy or not and it applies site wide. Cozy mode is experimental and we won't currently be looking at tweaking how it works.

• Advertisement

It seems that the script to move to the 1st unread post is acting up also on my browser as can be seen in the below screenshot it appears to cut off the start of a post

212717.jpg

Browser : Firefox 10.0.2

example URL http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056697740#post79670070 and http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=79668629#post79670099

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

Formatting keyboard shortcuts (Ctrl+b, ctrl+i) appear to have stopped working in the new skin? Anybody else able to reproduce this?

(Google Chrome 20.0.1132.47 m)

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭solarith

Cozy mode - nice!

Site seems much more functional, but it still doesn't look *nice*. Lick of paint still needed. Even some subtle gradients would improve it. Graphics overhaul too (to the style of Quite, Reply, etc), though I'd guess that's planned.

Unfortunately, there's no way to have the best of both. It's either cozy or not and it applies site wide. Cozy mode is experimental and we won't currently be looking at tweaking how it works.
    Fair enough... Will just wait until everything is rolled out and just put up with it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

I'm a little bit light sensitive so I may be in a minority here.

Although the brightness of the background has been improved from the first effort it is still too bright for me to read for more than a minute or two without getting a headache. The current colour scheme has the huge merit of being highly readable. I don't see any advantage to making it harder to read .

• Registered Users Posts: 33,214 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Really like it. Only thing I'd say is the text under people's names (Location, Posts, Join Date etc) should be smaller. If you have a mod or admin with a lot of forum names under their name, plus an avatar, plus join date etc, if they make a post with only a line or two, their post looks massive (which would also be putting people off with amount of white space)

Other than that, in the My Forums Dropdown menu, the tooltips box currently says eg. "Last Post: 5 minutes ago (contains unread threads)". The asterix beside the forum name already tells you if there are unread threads or not. Would it be possible to have "Last Post: 5 minutes ago by (poster name)"? Maybe even reduce "minutes" down to "mins".

• Administrators Posts: 53,342 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

It seems that the script to move to the 1st unread post is acting up also on my browser as can be seen in the below screenshot it appears to cut off the start of a post

212717.jpg

Browser : Firefox 10.0.2

example URL http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056697740#post79670070 and http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=79668629#post79670099

Yep, I posted this issue in the last thread.

Was just coming in to say that it still repros for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Also I have noticed a lot of bugs when viewing the site on an IPad, e.g
    • My Forums drop down doesn't seem to work in a thread or forum but works from home page
    • The view 1st unread post in a thread has to be pressed twice to work
    • Youtube/embedded videos seem to overscroll the sticky header when scrolling.

Also is there a list of current open issues?

Yep, noticing a few bugs while using my ipad as well.
    - while i can press where my screen name is to access how many pm's etc i have when i press the button to view then nothing happens, not even if i hold fown and use the 'open' function.
    - also the menunfor the 'rec' is extending off the page on the L hand side. Didn't notice this happening yeterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,214 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Also, the avatar beside my name in the top bar is an older avatar, not my current one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Paddy

Penn wrote: »
    Also, the avatar beside my name in the top bar is an older avatar, not my current one.

Odd. There was a bug fixed in relation to that a few weeks ago, nothing in this release should have effected it. Can you you do a right click "Copy image URL" and post it in here.

Advertisement