Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Heavy Rain Warning & Potential Flooding (Friday / Saturday July 6th & 7th)

• 04-07-2012 6:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭

Met Éireann and M.T.C have given a heavy rain warning for Friday.

Met Éireann have described the situation as looking like a washout with potential flooding.

East and south Eastern regions look like receiving the greatest rainfall totals as a band of heavy rain moves in giving up to 50mm in places on some models.

The focus then is for northern region for Saturday for more possible heavy rain and flooding.

Might turn out interesting so thread could be necessary.

211729.png

211730.png

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭eastmayo

well at least evelyn looks happy:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭torrentum

Any chance of electrical activity with this rain?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

She is just after saying.... go west young man.... love it! She has an absolutely brilliant sense of humour...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Seen that, ah she's brilliant at putting a very detailed forecast together. Its a credit to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Yes, in fairness to Evelyn she is the best at what she does.

It looks a very volatile situation though for Friday / Saturday and under such volatile conditions the forecast is likely to change over the next 24hours. Therefore issuing such an early warning, whilst making the public aware, could be a tad premature.

She also commented on that showery cell over the bay of biscay tonight risking the south coast, and while the models dont predict it coming near us, it is worth watching!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

She's even madder to talk to in Person trust me!! haha :)

Looking forward to the 18z run to see what theyve been seeing .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

eastmayo wrote: »
    ha i was just about to say the same..good aul ev... did you ever hear the way she says ..dwrizzle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Go away you ****ing bastard summer! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭fatherbuzcagney

redsunset wrote: »
    ..that, ah she brilliant at putting a very detailed forecast together. Its a credit to her.[/QUOT

i can give a very detailed forecast too for ireland.... rain rain and more rain with no chance of sunshine:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

eastmayo wrote: »

Maybe a bit tipsy :D

• Advertisement

ITs gonna be a WET Friday folks!!!

211759.png

211758.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

Whats the best guess on saturday for Galway? Going to the in port race with the clan so want to pack light. Will I need rain gear?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Fiskar wrote: »
    Whats the best guess on saturday for Galway?

Rough guess is that it will be same as today, yesterday, this day last month and this day last year.

Latest DMI HIRLAM has the main band of rain very slightly further south than on the ECMWF 12z run but still looking pretty wet for the south and east.

hirlam.gif

Will be an interesting one to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭mallards

Poop I'm flying from Dublin to Cardiff on Friday morning and back on Sunday evening. Any chance of that system disrupting the flight do you think?
    Thanks

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

hopefully the thunderstorms will stay away from cork anyway :mad:

hopefully the thunderstorms will stay away from cork anyway :mad:

????... one , this setup isnt really for thunderstorms.

2...... who doesn't want thunderstorms? ha

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Iancar29 wrote: »
    ????... one , this setup isnt really for thunderstorms.

2...... who doesn't want thunderstorms? ha

I know you might not believe me but for once I don't want thunderstorms, I have a flight on Friday...

The UKMET are taking the threat fairly serious. The rain will be falling over alot of higher ground over there and so large totals could be achieved. We have our own bit of high ground too in the firing line so some thing on a par could be achieved here also. Anyway this is what's being said.

A severe weather warning has been issued by the Met Office, with fears of flooding and disruption on Friday and Saturday.Rainfall totals could be 40-60mm (1.6-2.4 inches) widely across warning areas, but some places could see up to 100mm (3.9 inches) of rain through Friday and into Saturday.– MET OFFICE CHIEF FORECASTER MARTIN YOUNG.

Central and northern England is expected to be worst affected, with an amber alert - the second most severe category that can be given - in place for north-east England.Up to 100mm (3.9 inches) of rain could fall in 36 hours during the downpours

he average UK rainfall for July is 69.9mm (2.8 inches)

4.4mm (2.5 inches) for the north of England

People living in the affected areas have been warned to be prepared for flooding.Heavy rain on Friday and Saturday may lead to significant flooding of properties across parts of northern England.We urge people to remain vigilant and prepared for flooding by checking the Environment Agency website and signing up for localised river flood warnings.– ENVIRONMENT AGENCY SPOKESMAN

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

jaysus...going a gig all day in the pheonix park saturday!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,237 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

ME don't seem to be going down the road of the UK met office - seem to be going with just your standard "some heavy falls of rain in places". No mention of 100mm!!

So what I'm saying is it's probably gonna miss us completely - all that heavy rain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

mallards wrote: »
    Poop I'm flying from Dublin to Cardiff on Friday morning and back on Sunday evening. Any chance of that system disrupting the flight do you think?
    Thanks

Very unlikely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

My iPhone has the wettest period for my location Friday night into Saturday morning. 18:00 ~ 06:00 approz peak.

Do I see another mad system coming in for Thursday Friday week from the NE?

leahyl wrote: »
    ME don't seem to be going down the road of the UK met office - seem to be going with just your standard "some heavy falls of rain in places". No mention of 100mm!!

So what I'm saying is it's probably gonna miss us completely - all that heavy rain.

Only higher parts of Wicklow and Dublin are at threat of seeing larger rainfall totals. I probably didn't make that clear enough in my post. And I'm sure areas of the country will see very little or northing of this too. Parts of Cork, Kerry, Clare, Galway, Mayo, Sligo, Donegal for example are not really in the way of this. The attention is on the east and south east.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

ffs playing golf with work tomorrow afternoon! Was meant to be playing today and its nice and dry! I couldn't be more freaked! Think I might just call in sick and cry and shiver in the corner of my room

211809.JPG

Matt Hugo on location of heaviest rainfall.

==============================================

Bring in mind people that this still could be a damp squib. Track of heaviest rain not locked in yet and I'm thinking it will have lost a lot of its energy by the time it reaches our shores. Remember this thread is only here as a just in case it does get bad and not a guarantee that it is going to. Hence that is why a warning is but a risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Anyone have any idea what time this is going to start hitting the east coast tomorrow please ??? I've some foreign friends over & we were planning on going to Glendalough :eek:

Want to get them in & out before it hits if possible! Thanks

Latest rain track for midday tomorrow.

211814.JPG

Glendalough might not be the best place to be in, come afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Thanks Redsunset, I was thinking the exact same thing, Glendalough looks to be right in the mouth of it! advice much appreciated. to the pub instead ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Anyone care to give a prediction for the Ring Of Kerry on Saturday, me and 7999 others are doing a cycle !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭nilhg

I'm ( along with reportedly 9000 others) doing the Ring of Kerry cycle on Saturday morning, what I'm seeing suggests that the worst will be over by our 6AM start time, if anyone thinks different could you keep your opinion to yourself till I'm on the road down tomorrow.:D

Hopefully it'll clear in time, 180km in the wet isn't an attractive proposition.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement