Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How much promotion? (Forum feedback & opinion thread)

Options
  • 08-06-2012 9:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭

Right guys...

A point was raised in the Your YT activity thread that a) the thread was being used a lot to self-promote rather than highlight other series that you watch and b) that the channel thread means only the newest posted will likely get views.

SO, how much self-promotion would ye like to see? Would ye like uploaders to have their own dedicated thread where they can post absolutely everything / just videos that they want feedback and advice on?

Do you click on channel links from any of the other threads?

Bit of feedback appreciated where ye want to see the forum going...People SEEM less inclined to go for fancy editing tricks (although that could be just people not talking about it).

🤪

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I use the forum mainly for talking about the technical side of recording. I have an unusual set up and I basically record commando in the wild, so I have concerns not many people seem to, so getting/ passing on hints and tips is fun.

I delibrately, and I mean very delibrately, do not click on a vid or channel for randomers promoting themselves, especially if it's just another CoD channel with nothing special to show for it. There's already too much of that on Youtube. I will go out of my way to view something from a contributor to the forum.

I would actually like more talk on the promotional side but not in the sense of throwing videos up here, I mean, how do you get your vids out there more, how do you grow the channel, how do you make money off them, that kind of thing. Feedback would be great in the sense of "how can I do something special to make people watch? What am I strong at? What am I weak at?"

I do not think allowing xXXLeetSNIP3R4XXx and ILUVGANGA1234 their own threads is a good idea, it'd lead to a clogging of the forum.

Could you imagine if I posted every video I have? I have 1,400 on my channel :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

I would actually like more talk on the promotional side but not in the sense of throwing videos up here, I mean, how do you get your vids out there more, how do you grow the channel, how do you make money off them, that kind of thing. Feedback would be great in the sense of "how can I do something special to make people watch? What am I strong at? What am I weak at?"

A 'How to' promote thread would be interesting to gather ideas alright. In the baffling world of YouTube, sometimes there are steps you can take.

I would like if people were looking for feedback, but I'd have to find a way to draw the line in the sand - are people actually looking for feedback, engaging, developing, etc. The other problem is a lot of videos are just straight up commentary (unlike the photography forum for example where you could critique certain elements, colour, lighting, etc).

🤪

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    A 'How to' promote thread would be interesting to gather ideas alright. In the baffling world of YouTube, sometimes there are steps you can take.

I would like if people were looking for feedback, but I'd have to find a way to draw the line in the sand - are people actually looking for feedback, engaging, developing, etc. The other problem is a lot of videos are just straight up commentary (unlike the photography forum for example where you could critique certain elements, colour, lighting, etc).

Yeah, me too, I'd like that- if you take me for example, the videos are live, with on the fly editing, and webcams mixed in with the game footage and live dual commentary, there's stuff to be critiqued there. You try loads of different ways to do it. But if it's simply a guy talking over game footage..?

Also, you would run into the problem of people simply posting for a few hits.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Honestly, I'd rather not see any self-promotion in this forum directly. If people want to self-promote, they should go to the forum their audience is catered towards, and post there if the charter there allows it.

As Doom has said, I find this place as more of a tech forum, where people can seek advice and critique on their recording setups, and editing skills; as well as other things like how to get noticed, how to make a bit of money off videos etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

TheChrisD wrote: »
    Honestly, I'd rather not see any self-promotion in this forum directly. If people want to self-promote, they should go to the forum their audience is catered towards, and post there if the charter there allows it.

As Doom has said, I find this place as more of a tech forum, where people can seek advice and critique on their recording setups, and editing skills; as well as other things like how to get noticed, how to make a bit of money off videos etc.

I agree with this.People should come here for advice for editing software or problems with recording.If they want to show their videos to a potential audience then let them start a thread in the respective forum (Minecraft,CoD etc) and let them get feedback there.It would benefit everyone because they'll get more exposure for the simple reason that everyone watching the video in their thread will have an interest in the game and it'll keep this forum free of all sorts of games being spammed everywhere.

• Advertisement

I guess if Sabes wanted to allow promotional or feedback threads for videos, he'd really need to have some ambiguous rule in place to allow him to make a judgement call, something like "occasional posting of videos from regular users will be tolerated, however Boards is a discussion forum not a notice board, so please do not do so til you are a regular contributor and understand the dynamic on this forum". Or similar.

Like, would anyone hold it against me if I posted here going "ZOMG I got xsplit, look how easy it makes on the fly live editing isn't it awesome, everyone should get it now" as opposed to "Hi guys furst time poster, plz lik my BF skillz killz vid"?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056672106

Perfect example, why should I bother with this guy when he didn't even bother with this thread first :D

Doesn't even bother saying what games he's lets playing.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,330 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056672106

Perfect example, why should I bother with this guy when he didn't even bother with this thread first :D

Doesn't even bother saying what games he's lets playing.

Adds to the mystery :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Reality_Check1

At the moment is there any way to get/ask for feedback without making it seeming like you are just trying to whore some views? Id like some feedback on stuff but Im anti clogging up the forum with stuff like that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

There should be a dedicated thread definitely!

If people hijack threads, just move the post, or give them a verbal warning?

Most are only new anyway so will never come back

Also, if you guys wouldn't mind checking out my latest video I'd appreciate it. Also, please like and Favorite it if you can...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

Thanks

Tal

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,330 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

At the moment is there any way to get/ask for feedback without making it seeming like you are just trying to whore some views? Id like some feedback on stuff but Im anti clogging up the forum with stuff like that

Maybe throw your channel link in your sig and it'll be easier for ppl to click onto?
    And also ffffffffffuuuuuuuuu Tallon,I clicked on that link like a bollocks

Ok, considering I just got a genuine request from someone to my pm box asking for my opinion on a video, I'd support a dedicated thread too.

Long as I can put my 5 hour Street Fighter tournament video there :D

Ok, considering I just got a genuine request from someone to my pm box asking for my opinion on a video, I'd support a dedicated thread too.

Me too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

TheChrisD wrote: »

I'm just getting into the whole game recording thing and I agree with the part about no self promotion in here. This has been a great resource for me to learn about different aspects of the whole scene...it would be a total pain if it ended up turning into a load of posts with links to random stuff from random people who may never post on Boards normally but are just looking for views.

What I would love to see is a dedicated thread where newbs like me could post up a video and basically ask for C&C and any more experienced members who felt like imparting some knowledge could do so if they wished. It wouldn't be about 'hey look at my video", it would be more of a "hey guys, any advice would be really appreciated, here is a practical example of what I am doing".

I'm just getting into the whole game recording thing and I agree with the part about no self promotion in here. This has been a great resource for me to learn about different aspects of the whole scene...it would be a total pain if it ended up turning into a load of posts with links to random stuff from random people who may never post on Boards normally but are just looking for views.

What I would love to see is a dedicated thread where newbs like me could post up a video and basically ask for C&C and any more experienced members who felt like imparting some knowledge could do so if they wished. It wouldn't be about 'hey look at my video", it would be more of a "hey guys, any advice would be really appreciated, here is a practical example of what I am doing".

I think that's a pretty good idea.

I like the idea of people posting C&C threads - once people are not dropping in to just post their link and you never hear from them again (until Episode 2). I also like the idea of people posting tutorials / showcasing new and interesting techniques. This forum has been around a while, but we still don't know if anyone is trying something outside of Let's Plays (yes, I'm aware that I am quite guilty of this too, but I have a project in the works).

Possibly another thread for "Best Work" - people get one shot to post their best video. If they were pitching their channel to someone, this would be the showcase video. Any thoughts on this approach?

🤪

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    This forum has been around a while, but we still don't know if anyone is trying something outside of Let's Plays (yes, I'm aware that I am quite guilty of this too, but I have a project in the works).

Possibly another thread for "Best Work" - people get one shot to post their best video. If they were pitching their channel to someone, this would be the showcase video. Any thoughts on this approach?

Excuse me, I think I have 3 let's play videos out of 1,400 :D

I'm getting some new gear soon, I'd enjoy updating the forum as I get it all working. People might get some good out of seeing Xsplit do it's thing too.

I'd probably watch a best of thread. Maybe limit it to one vid every 3 months or so.

Limiting to A best is the best way to both challenge people and showcase someone's work. The lack of response thus far is either people finding it tough to find something that stands out (the group I fall into at the moment) or people finding it tough to choose (a select few).

I could be wrong, but I don't think we'd see a massive change between someone's video for July and someone's vid for August.

I would be more curious in people actively looking for feedback and trying to learn though (C&C style like the photography).

🤪

YouTube also challenges uploaders to pick one video, but most of us use the featured video box incorrectly - it's supposed to be a highlight of the channel to entice people to sub if they randomly find your channel / have seen another video. People can upload more than one vid to the thread once there is a reasonable gap in between.

Movies are different than what 98% of game recorders upload though. You can reasonably hope to outdo yourself as you learn new skills, editing tricks, etc., but I don't think LP-ers can (again, I'm willing to be proven wrong). Nothing wrong with Let's Plays, etc, but I don't think the uploader is regularly going to outdo themselves.

There's always reason to critique - you may have learned new stuff since, but someone could mention something you haven't realised. Classic movies get analysed and critiqued all the time. Only difference is that we can read the comments and choose to take them on board or not (possibly because we have fixed certain things in newer videos).

Basically I'm trying to get people to engage with the forum and threads rather than just hitting & running like the channel thread seems to be.

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Hey guys, any thoughts on the CC thread? I've been working on a cinematic of one of the maps from Battlefield 3. It's been done before but I am finding it a good way to force myself to learn about various aspects of editing. I'd like to pop it up when it's done for a bit of feedback from anyone willing to offer it but I don't want to go about doing that the wrong way.

• Advertisement

Hey guys, any thoughts on the CC thread? I've been working on a cinematic of one of the maps from Battlefield 3. It's been done before but I am finding it a good way to force myself to learn about various aspects of editing. I'd like to pop it up when it's done for a bit of feedback from anyone willing to offer it but I don't want to go about doing that the wrong way.

Well, I don't run the place but if you put up a vid I'll watch it for sures.

Although my skills are rather different to regular vid makers so I dunno if i'll have anything of worth to add.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭JaqenHgarr

so i see a lot of you guys saying you'd like to learn how to make some money off gaming vids. I want this myself and i looked up how to do it . Basically you apply to the youtube partnership programme and they will review your vids and decide if your worthy to have ads in yur vids. However as well as having good content you must not have any copyright infringement. one thing that a lot of people do not realise is that having cut scenes from the game in your vid is copyright infringement
    hope this helps

JaqenHgarr wrote: »
    one thing that a lot of people do not realise is that having cut scenes from the game in your vid is copyright infringement

No it's not.

I have and had hundreds of videos with cut scenes, and I make money :)

my apologies guess i just assumed the video was telling the truth

my apologies guess i just assumed the video was telling the truth
    Video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GV9GGzDqOyM cant find the original but this vid seems to be suggesting that all of the game is copyright infringmement unless your machinima ? im finding this pretty confusing Tallon since you make money do you think you might be able to make a brief guide on how it works

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GV9GGzDqOyM cant find the original but this vid seems to be suggesting that all of the game is copyright infringmement unless your machinima ? im finding this pretty confusing Tallon since you make money do you think you might be able to make a brief guide on how it works
    A brief guide on how what works?

I spent years uploading gaming videos, interacting with the community, helping people, answering questions, building up a fan base etc. Then approached Machinima to partner me

I had been approached by a couple of other companies already, but decided to go with them as I would get the most exposure and have the best support

I now get paid for all videos I upload

That video you linked to is one guy who has no idea what he's talking about, and it doesn't mention much about copyright

i didnt mean i brief giude on what works sorry i was just hoping you could clear up my confusion about copyright so were you being paid before you joined machinima

For ads I was, now I'm paid for likes and comments and ads

• Advertisement

so just to be clear , i don't need to be machinima or anything to get ad revenue and i can post gameplay , cutscenes and all

Advertisement