Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

06-06-2012, 09:04   #1
Daithi BC

Malting Barley 2012

Any malting barley growers out there?

Today is the first day where you can hedge part of your Boortmalt contract price and fix it relative to the MATIF wheat price (which is €208 a tonne right now) + malting bonus - drying costs.

Anyone have any thoughts on what the best thing to do is?

Last edited by Daithi BC; 06-06-2012 at 11:01. Reason: Clarified that it's Boortmalt contracts
Advertisement
06-06-2012, 09:24   #2
cuddlylad

Sounds good!! is that direct with Minch? would consider locking in a certain percent of your crop?
06-06-2012, 11:00   #3
Daithi BC

Yes - it's the new Boortmalt (Minch) pricing structure. They offer a price at three separate days (today's the first), and you can lock in up to 52.5% of your total contract on any or all of the three days. I've locked in 17.5% today, so I'll have to wait and see what the price does for the next few weeks now.
06-06-2012, 11:17   #4
bob charles

that sounds a bit strange a way of a company buying crop. Only allowed trade at a price set 3 days a year and only allowed sell 52.5% of crop
06-06-2012, 15:21   #5
cuddlylad

i actually though they took the price from matif at 3 random days over the past 12 months and came up with a price from that calc. they have to offer to buy the barley at any stage of the year i reckon. and also bob its the farmers choice of how much he does.
Advertisement
06-06-2012, 19:36   #6
Daithi BC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob charles View Post
that sounds a bit strange a way of a company buying crop. Only allowed trade at a price set 3 days a year and only allowed sell 52.5% of crop
You can not hedge any of it, and they'll buy all of it at the price on the day of sale.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion