Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

13-04-2012, 10:14   #1
OmegaRed

Send a message via MSN to OmegaRed
Windows Media Player 11 not playing .avi (Codecs)

Hi Guys,

I did a fresh install of Visat (x64) over the weekend and went to play some of my avi files last night. Forgot that I hadn’t installed any codecs for media player 11 so went off and got the usual klite codec pack (64 bit version). Installs fine but still I am just getting sound with no video. Klite doesn’t seem to be working. (uninstalled and re-installed it several times) I did a search for other codec packs and I’ve installed a few (Vista codec pack, All-in-1, Shark, x64 Codecs) and still nothing.

It’s a bit odd as I always remember klite doing the job after a fresh install. Can anyone suggest a resolution? Is there a setting in media player 11 I need to turn on or active the klite codec pack?

I don’t want to use VLC or another player as my media centre remote won’t work with them, so really want to get media player working. Any help would be great!
Advertisement
13-04-2012, 11:04   #2
yoyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaRed View Post
Hi Guys,

I did a fresh install of Visat (x64) over the weekend and went to play some of my avi files last night. Forgot that I hadn’t installed any codecs for media player 11 so went off and got the usual klite codec pack (64 bit version). Installs fine but still I am just getting sound with no video. Klite doesn’t seem to be working. (uninstalled and re-installed it several times) I did a search for other codec packs and I’ve installed a few (Vista codec pack, All-in-1, Shark, x64 Codecs) and still nothing.

It’s a bit odd as I always remember klite doing the job after a fresh install. Can anyone suggest a resolution? Is there a setting in media player 11 I need to turn on or active the klite codec pack?

I don’t want to use VLC or another player as my media centre remote won’t work with them, so really want to get media player working. Any help would be great!
Sounds like a broken codec, you could try Codec Tweak Tool to fix/repair dodgy/broken ones.
You can also try manually installing Divx/Xvid from here

Nick
13-04-2012, 13:15   #3
Torqay
Closed Account

Quote:
so went off and got the usual klite codec pack (64 bit version).
Install the 32-bit codec pack. You'd only need 64-bit codecs with the 64-bit version of WMP (yes, there are two and the 32-bit version of WMP is default).

Quote:
I don’t want to use VLC or another player as my media centre remote won’t work with them
Nothing wrong with the portable version for testing.

Quote:
I am just getting sound with no video.
We had a case here recently, where DirectDraw was not available. Better check with DXDIAG.

Last edited by Torqay; 13-04-2012 at 15:56.
13-04-2012, 18:21   #4
OmegaRed

Send a message via MSN to OmegaRed
installed the DivX codec and the standard pack and now its working!

Thank you very much guys!

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion