Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

24-06-2012, 12:11   #106
ThirdMan

Another vote for The Catcher In The Rye, and (dis)honourable mentions for Brave New World & The Shadow In The Wind.
Advertisement
24-06-2012, 12:32   #107
ThirdMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsnow View Post
Great Expectations

It wasn,t what I had hoped for
24-06-2012, 13:31   #108
candlegrease

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdMan View Post

Blood Meridian is a stunning novel. His use of figurative language is, in my opinion, unsurpassed in modern literature.

But to each their own. Who would rank amongst your favourite novelists? (I'm asking this in good faith)
F. Scott Fitzgerald
Ernest Hemingway
James Joyce
Edgar Allan Poe
Axelandar Dumas
George RR Martin
Fyodor Dostoevesky

These are the writers who spring to mind right now.
24-06-2012, 14:33   #109
Kinski
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by candlegrease View Post
F. Scott Fitzgerald
Ernest Hemingway
James Joyce
Edgar Allan Poe
Axelandar Dumas
George RR Martin
Fyodor Dostoevesky
Spot the odd one out...
24-06-2012, 15:00   #110
ThirdMan

Quote:
F. Scott Fitzgerald
Ernest Hemingway
James Joyce
Edgar Allan Poe
Axelandar Dumas
George RR Martin
Fyodor Dostoevesky

My intention was to contrast and compare, and then come to some sort of conclusion as to why we disagree. But guess what, I'm full of ****.

But all is not lost, we agree on something. Dostoevsky is my favourite novelist (although I probably only understand a quarter of what he achieves in each of his works).
Advertisement
24-06-2012, 16:53   #111
candlegrease

Quote:
Quote:
F. Scott Fitzgerald
Ernest Hemingway
James Joyce
Edgar Allan Poe
Axelandar Dumas
George RR Martin
Fyodor Dostoevesky

My intention was to contrast and compare, and then come to some sort of conclusion as to why we disagree. But guess what, I'm full of ****.

But all is not lost, we agree on something. Dostoevsky is my favourite novelist (although I probably only understand a quarter of what he achieves in each of his works).
Do you like any of the others I mentioned?
24-06-2012, 22:02   #112
jcf
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicMarker View Post
Was just wondering what highly regarded books readers thought were vastly overrated? After seeing recommendations everywhere I decided to read Brave New World by Huxley and I have to say I was really really let down. I thought the writing was average, the character development almost non existent and worst of all it was sloooooooooww. I got past the midway point and had to stop, having realised that nothing of note had happened at all.

Now maybe it picks up in the 2nd half, but I just couldn't push on, and I find it hard to believe what comes in the latter half could make up for the abysmal first half!
Yeah brave new world was a letdown , so was 1984 .... Animal Farm far superior to either...
24-06-2012, 22:19   #113
ThirdMan

Quote:
Do you like any of the others I mentioned?
The only other person there that I've read is Joyce. I quiet enjoyed Dubliners, but I struggled with Ulysses. It felt good voicing his words, but I wasn't quiet sure what was going on.

I'm always threatening to tackle Hemingway. I quiet like Steinbeck, and I've been told more than once that he's a poor man's Hemingway (probably opening a can of worms here), so hopefully I'll find him enjoyable.

I'm actually relatively new to fiction, and only became familiar with Dostoevsky because of how often he is referred to in the non-fiction that I read.

I probably sounded like a proper literary buff earlier when I asked for your favourite authors. I'm not. I was just working off a hunch, that you prefferred something more literal over something highly figurative, like McCarthy. But that doesn't seem to be the case, especially with George RR Martin in there.
25-06-2012, 00:43   #114
Slattsy

Send a message via MSN to Slattsy
Highly regarded....maybe, or maybe not...but I'll go for it anyhoo.

Flann O'Briens The Third Policeman.
I simply found it weird, I didn't get it at all. It's raved about by boardsies, but it was lost on me.

Also, Catch 22 is amazing, how people didn't like that is beyong me. Each to their own
Advertisement
25-06-2012, 21:00   #115
true-or-false

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Foil Hat View Post
I'm half way through 'The Road' at the moment. It's probably the best book I've ever read, although it's massively emotionally draining.
I have to say, I was horribly disappointed in The Road. It was recommended to me by a few people, and it sounds in summary like exactly the type of thing I'd like, but I just found it boring. I barely rooted for the characters at all, there were only two points in the whole book where I felt anything (they were Spoiler: the bit in the basement and the bit with the pregnant woman), and by the time it finished, I thought the ending was terrible but wasn't even involved in the book enough to feel let down by the lack of a good ending.

The most overrated books in my opinion? I don't know if they'd be classed as highly regarded, but they're certainly the most widely loved books I've come across - the Harry Potter books. I read the first four when I was younger, grew out of it, and to be honest I now regard them as mildly entertaining children's books. While I do think they're imaginative, they're so hugely overrated that I have very little time to appreciate their actual value because I'm so annoyed by all the hype surrounding them.
Thanks from:
26-06-2012, 10:11   #116
ThirdMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by true-or-false View Post
I have to say, I was horribly disappointed in The Road. It was recommended to me by a few people, and it sounds in summary like exactly the type of thing I'd like, but I just found it boring. I barely rooted for the characters at all, there were only two points in the whole book where I felt anything (they were Spoiler: the bit in the basement and the bit with the pregnant woman), and by the time it finished, I thought the ending was terrible but wasn't even involved in the book enough to feel let down by the lack of a good ending.
Have you seen the movie adaptation. The 'spoiler' scene you referred to is captured brilliantly.
26-06-2012, 13:58   #117
Sea Filly
Closed Account

'On the Road'.

Dull, and awful character names.
26-06-2012, 20:11   #118
Grievous

The Road is overrated. I'm not even sure how well rated the novel is, but it seems to me the least literary of all McCarthy's novels.

Blood Meridian is his best work. Even at that, I wouldn't put him in my top 50 writers.
26-06-2012, 20:14   #119
Grievous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeybonkers View Post
Who decides what's 'highly regarded'? Highly regarded by some can be viewed as rubbish by others.
Celia Ahern's books are rubbish chick lit without any literary value.
26-06-2012, 21:18   #120
true-or-false

Quote:
Have you seen the movie adaptation. The 'spoiler' scene you referred to is captured brilliantly.
To be honest I thought the movie was even worse unfortunately.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion