Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

02-06-2012, 08:20   #271
Neilw

Lens for motorsport photography

Hi all,

I've just bought a Canon 600d and I would like to purchase a lens that would be suitable for photographing motorsports.

What would people recommend? I can't justify a Canon L lens just yet so something a bit cheaper than one of them.

Thanks,
Neil.

Last edited by Neilw; 02-06-2012 at 09:33.
Advertisement
02-06-2012, 09:19   #272
.Longshanks.

Hey Neil, if your in bright conditions and only starting out then something like the 55-250mm will be a decent place to start. It be bought for around €/$ 220.00...
If you think its not going to be long enough (enough zoom) you could look into the 100-400mm but that will end up costing twice the price of the camera
02-06-2012, 09:23   #273
Neilw

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev_Longshanks100 View Post
Hey Neil, if your in bright conditions and only starting out then something like the 55-250mm will be a decent place to start. It be bought for around €/$ 220.00...
If you think its not going to be long enough (enough zoom) you could look into the 100-400mm but that will end up costing twice the price of the camera
Thanks for the reply. Is there anything that would work in lower light, Ireland is not the sunniest of places I'll be buying in the States so might be able to get something a bit better, budget of about $400.
02-06-2012, 09:28   #274
.Longshanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilw View Post
Thanks for the reply. Is there anything that would work in lower light, Ireland is not the sunniest of places I'll be buying in the States so might be able to get something a bit better, budget of about $400.
Low light as is dull weather or late in the evening?

For low light you'll need brighter glass - if a wider (bigger) aperture.
Used sigma 70-200 ႒2.8 on adverts for €400?
http://www.adverts.ie/lenses/sigma-7...ro-hsm/1633672
02-06-2012, 09:30   #275
Neilw

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev_Longshanks100 View Post
Low light as is dull weather or late in the evening?

For low light you'll need brighter glass - if a wider (bigger) aperture.
Used sigma 70-200 ႒2.8 on adverts for €400?
http://www.adverts.ie/lenses/sigma-7...ro-hsm/1633672
I'd say dull weather rather than late evenings. Unfortunately I'm out of the country so buying in Ireland is a no go.
Advertisement
02-06-2012, 09:35   #276
BengaLover

Lens purchase - help me decide!

Wanted an even better macro than my 28-80mm for closer close ups and narrowed down the find to a 90mm, found 2, which in your opinion would be the best one to buy, as Im no expert in this area whatsoever!

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/160811168280?...84.m1423.l2649

OR

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/140760610083?...84.m1423.l2649
02-06-2012, 10:33   #277
hbr
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damokc View Post
They've already bought a Olympus point n' shoot off them so maybe they're doing them a deal. On pixmania its 429.
The 1100D is €400.49 from your local Argos.
Thanks from:
02-06-2012, 11:45   #278
PCPhoto

if you want closer "close-ups" you need to get a proper macro lens ....many lenses offer a macro facility but true macro ...1:1 reproduction requires either a proper macro lens or a system of close-up filters.

most people that have used the macro filters find them ...ok, they do not compare to a proper macro lens but if you are restrained by budget its a good alternative

Heres a link to one of the type of filters I'm talking about
02-06-2012, 12:03   #279
PCPhoto

can you clarify what types of motorsports you are talking about.

1. bikes road racing
2. cars road racing (Rally)
3. bikes track racing (can also be dirt tracks)
4. cars track racing (Can be anything from mondello to nuremburg ring)
5. Drifting and other motorsports which may not be officially sports.

if you intend doing the images in bright, dry, conditions or is there a chance you will have overcast, cloudy, rainy and windy conditions?

Do you know how to photograph sports ? or have you simply purchased a camera and because you have a camera and an interest in motorsports you want to go out and photograph motorsports ? Do you know much about photography ?

have you ever photographed moving subjects ? Do you know how to ? Do you know about positioning, panning, exposing, off-camera flash ? do you know about the relationship between ISO, shutter speeds, apertures, do you know what depth of field is ?

Purchasing a camera and suitable lens does not automatically mean you will get professional grade images, you have to learn how to take a photo as well as how to post process an image.

I'm sorry if all this sounds like I'm putting you down - I have no idea as to your experience except that you've just purchased a 600d and want to take photos of motorsports.

Also - just to add in - to get inside the barriers you will have to apply to the organisers, I wouldn't recommend you (or anyone else) do this until you are happy to put your life in danger - because thats what you are doing you are putting youself inside the barrier and will be first hit if something goes wrong....as was recently discovered with the latest motorsport deaths (in Ireland) or a pregnant woman and a photographer.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
02-06-2012, 12:11   #280
PCPhoto

if you are buying in the states keep an eye on "craigslist" for possible bargains - its heavily used over there and plenty of good secondhand gear, reasonabily priced.
02-06-2012, 12:12   #281
phutyle

BengaLover, what's your budget? You're unlikely to get a proper macro A-mount lens (1:1) for less than €150 euro, even second hand. Your options, in and around 90mm, are pretty much limited to these:

Sony 100mm macro: link
Tamron 90 mm macro: link
Sigma 105mm macro: link
(there are older Minolta 100mm macro lenses as well)

Forget about seeing "Macro" on a lens description or name. It means nothing. If it doesn't say "1:1", it's not a macro lens.

If your budget is around €100, then your options are either macro filters, like PCPhoto said (just be sure the filter diameter is the same as the diameter of your lens). Or extension tubes, like these Kenko ones.

Macro filters will degrade sharpness, but they're cheap and small. By all accounts, the very best close up filters are the Canon 500D (not to be confused with the camera of the same name) but they're the same price as extension tubes (and more limiting, since they're diameter specific), so I don't really see the point (except for some specific circumstances).

Extension tubes wil preserve sharpness, but you lose some light. They're bigger than the filters, but smaller than a dedicated macro lens. You can use them with any existing lens (even a macro, to push your magnification up), and good ones will even preserve auto focus (although, for macro, you'll usually be using manual focus anyway). I wouldn't bother with anything other than the Kenko ones above.

I have all three (filters, tubes and lens). I never use the filters any more (bought them years ago), and I only use the tubes with the macro lens to give better than 1:1 magnification. I use the lens on it's own a lot.

So if you want the best 1:1 macro ability, go with one of the lenses above.

If you're budget is tight, and you want to preserve quality, go with the extension tubes.

If your budget is very tight, you don't really care about quality, and just want to mess around at getting very close to small things, go with the filters.

Last edited by phutyle; 02-06-2012 at 14:07.
02-06-2012, 12:17   #282
Neilw

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCPhoto View Post
can you clarify what types of motorsports you are talking about.

1. bikes road racing
2. cars road racing (Rally)
3. bikes track racing (can also be dirt tracks)
4. cars track racing (Can be anything from mondello to nuremburg ring)
5. Drifting and other motorsports which may not be officially sports.

if you intend doing the images in bright, dry, conditions or is there a chance you will have overcast, cloudy, rainy and windy conditions?

Do you know how to photograph sports ? or have you simply purchased a camera and because you have a camera and an interest in motorsports you want to go out and photograph motorsports ? Do you know much about photography ?

have you ever photographed moving subjects ? Do you know how to ? Do you know about positioning, panning, exposing, off-camera flash ? do you know about the relationship between ISO, shutter speeds, apertures, do you know what depth of field is ?

Purchasing a camera and suitable lens does not automatically mean you will get professional grade images, you have to learn how to take a photo as well as how to post process an image.

I'm sorry if all this sounds like I'm putting you down - I have no idea as to your experience except that you've just purchased a 600d and want to take photos of motorsports.

Also - just to add in - to get inside the barriers you will have to apply to the organisers, I wouldn't recommend you (or anyone else) do this until you are happy to put your life in danger - because thats what you are doing you are putting youself inside the barrier and will be first hit if something goes wrong....as was recently discovered with the latest motorsport deaths (in Ireland) or a pregnant woman and a photographer.
Maybe I should send the camera back We all have to start somewhere.

I would be more interested in cars, both road and track. I go to mondello quite a bit. I've had some decent (imo) photos from moving subjects.
Some of the events I got to are in the winter, so dull days are to be expected.

I'm in learning mode at the moment so reading a lot on the web. I'm planning on taking a course too. As for the terminology you mentioned above, I understand some of it and will read up on the rest.
I've a couple of friends who can also point me in the right direction.

I'm watching craigslist alright, not too much on sale where I am though.
02-06-2012, 21:36   #283
Redpunto

HIYA

quick question - looking for camera just to point and shoot - have 3 kids so needs to be quick but user friendly but image quality is a must!

Was looking at three cameras

Panasonic S2
Fujifilm JX420 or
Samsung PL221

any comments appreciated

THANKS.
03-06-2012, 07:52   #284
g0g

Looking for some advice on a random comparison. The only camera I have at present is the 12MP camera on a Nokia N8 mobile phone. It's very handy to have in my pocket all the time for random shots. However, a few months back I borrowed a DSLR (entry level) and was blown away by the quality of point-and-shoot photos from it. We have a young child and the indoor and outdoor shots of him with the camera came out fantastic without me really changing any settings.

I'm looking to buy a camera now mainly for the following:
1) Family photos at home or out and about
2) Possibly an attempt at some sports photography (cycling/badminton) but nothing serious
3) General photos while out and about

I'd like to think I'll take the time to learn about settings etc over time, but it's quite possibly that I'll mainly be doing point-and-shoot.

OPTION 1
I see the Nikon L120 reduced to € 134 (including a cash-back voucher) in Argos - is this a no-brainer for my requirements? It yoyos on price and this is the best price I've seen it for.

OPTION 2
Invest in a DSLR which I presume is gonna set me back probably € 400-500 for entry level. I had been looking a good bit at the Pentax k-r, which I assume might be cheaper in the coming months with a replacement on the way.

QUESTIONS
Out of the box point and shoot am I likely to see much better quality pictures from a DSLR? Will that Nikon realistically be useless if I try it out for an indoor sport like badminton?

Thanks in advance for any advice!
03-06-2012, 15:27   #285
Kent Brockman

I suspect that most on here are using far more advanced cameras/equipment than can be found in Argos but I'll ask just in case

There seems to be good savings to be made on these cameras. I would be using it mainly for family/holiday photos but also for taking photos of products for my website and Facebook page.

Any of these stand out? Thanks for recommendations/advice

http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/store...:offer:cameras

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion