Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

28-02-2012, 00:04   #1
Sully

SF Aengus O'Snodaigh has claimed €50,000 in expenses for Printer Ink

Was mentioned on tonight's Vinny B show. Sinn Féin TD for Dublin South Central Aengus O'Snodaigh has claimed €50,000 in expenses for Printer Ink over the past two years.

Its a bit of a pain in the backside hearing the "industrial wage" line trotted out by Sinn Fein as if they are doing the country a huge favour financially. There not. Their full wage is the same as the other TDs. They draw it down in full, and donate the remainder to the party. They claim their expenses just as much as other TDs, as seen here, which would bring their wage packet up a hefty sum all the same. Donating to their party isn't benefiting the states coffers. Its benefiting the Sinn Fein party.

Ink isn't cheap and neither is paper to be printing on. Its an awful lot of letters to be sending out to reach that sum though, so I can only assume there is other printing going on such as flyers?
Advertisement
28-02-2012, 00:22   #2
jimmycrackcorm

Sure they have to "donate" everything over their average wage to the party, is it any wonder their tds have to make a few euro.
28-02-2012, 00:41   #3
Sierra Oscar
Category Moderator

Very peculiar indeed, SF have some questions to answer on this one. Is O'Snodaigh using taxpayers money to fund the printing of protest leaflets for the SF party? Is O'Snodaigh using taxpayers money to fund the printing of An Phoblacht?

Furthermore as it was an expenses claim, where is O'Snodaigh sourcing these cartridges? Is there a connection to the print publishing company, Coiscéim, which is run by his father?

Also there is the more simplistic question - how do you manage to spend nearly €500 on printing cartridges per week?

Last edited by Sierra Oscar; 28-02-2012 at 00:44.
28-02-2012, 00:45   #4
Bannasidhe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sully View Post
Was mentioned on tonight's Vinny B show. Sinn Féin TD for Dublin South Central Aengus O'Snodaigh has claimed €50,000 in expenses for Printer Ink over the past two years.
*Looks at Ireland - facepalms in despair.*
Thanks from:
28-02-2012, 01:15   #5
Kinski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra Oscar View Post
Also there is the more simplistic question - how do you manage to spend nearly €500 on printing cartridges per week?
Could easily spend that if you were printing a lot of colour documents (like, er, party leaflets) and purchasing new ones instead of refills. Those cartridges are expensive.

Should've got himself a laser printer...
Advertisement
28-02-2012, 01:20   #6
Terrontress

It's a grand a week, allowing for his office to shut for a week over Christmas and a week in the summer.

It would want to be some ink.
28-02-2012, 01:27   #7
yourpics

TD's have access to stationary in the Dáil and the Seanad.

I recently received a letter from a government minister and it was clear that the paper and envelope were supplied by the Dáil.

Last edited by yourpics; 28-02-2012 at 01:36. Reason: typo
28-02-2012, 04:26   #8
southsiderosie

OP, do you have a link or something with more specifics? I'd be curious to see if these were general printing costs, or what they were specifically spending just on ink cartridges.

And just to be a bit contrarian here, does anyone know what TDs normally spend on printing? In my experience with political advocacy work, 1000/month in printing costs is not actually that much money, especially if his office issues monthly constituent newsletters in hardcopy and the like.
Thanks from:
28-02-2012, 06:47   #9
amacachi

Quote:
Originally Posted by southsiderosie View Post
And just to be a bit contrarian here, does anyone know what TDs normally spend on printing? In my experience with political advocacy work, 1000/month in printing costs is not actually that much money, especially if his office issues monthly constituent newsletters in hardcopy and the like.
Full list of everyone's expenses: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...WZG1FTHc#gid=0
WUAG (1 representative) is the party with the most expenses per person, after them it's Fianna Fail with Sinn Fein just behind. The other TDs in his constituency spent ~32k, ~22k, ~32k and ~22k while he spent ~32k. I would have thought that 25/32k per year going on printer ink would be a little disproportionate.

I do find it amazing how consistent each TD's spending is from month-to-month (maybe it's yearly and then divided, not sure of the point if so) and also how the same figures crop up for different TDs from similar areas. Obviously they're all staying in the same hotels and not shopping around whatsoever for transport.

Last edited by amacachi; 28-02-2012 at 06:52.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
28-02-2012, 06:54   #10
femur61

What was he printing? How much ink do you need to print Euros, sorry they have moved on from their shaddy past!
28-02-2012, 07:54   #11
southsiderosie

OK, I'm going to move this over to the Cafe because this seems to be a bit of ado about nothing, plus I get the sense that there are a lot more bad puns coming.

Please keep it semi-civilized though folks.

SSR
(2) thanks from:
28-02-2012, 08:03   #12
nacimroc

I presumed he has resigned / been fired after being caught stealing an unusable amount of stuff ??
28-02-2012, 08:42   #13
Pompey Magnus

God love the Irish, we love to complain about TD's disappearing once they get elected only to surface when there is an election looming. Then when we get a story about a TD who presumably is very active in distributing leaflets to his constituency we hammer him for it.
(2) thanks from:
28-02-2012, 09:31   #14
ThisRegard

There's a difference between actively distributing leaflets, and spamming people, if he has indeed used the ink how he claims it was used and hasn't set up a printing business as a sideline.

With the amount of ink he used he printed enough pages so that the electorate in his constituency would have received over 40 pages of paper from him. To put it in context, if there's at least two adults of voting age in a household, that household would have received on average 81 pages through their door.
Thanks from:
28-02-2012, 10:17   #15
Nijmegen

I don't think there's a lot of ado about nothing. The Journal has a good explainer.

He took €55,000 of printer cartridges in 2 years printing leaflets for his constituency. The Oireachtas has since brought in a €2,000 limit for members following this.

It's one example of how politicians take the mickey when it comes to spending public money. They have to represent themselves, but €55,000 in 2 years is a lot of representing.
Thread Closed