Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

15-02-2012, 09:25   #1
smilgy

Taxi dashcam

Just wondering, is it legal for a taxi driver to have a dash cam filming the road and the passengers in the car ? For safety purposes of course.
Advertisement
15-02-2012, 09:29   #2
no1beemerfan

I've been in taxis that have had these but they have a notice up saying so. I'd say you'd be in trouble if you had a dashcam recording passengers and didn't have a notice up (that can be seen clearly) stating you had a recording device in the car.
15-02-2012, 09:31   #3
smilgy

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1beemerfan View Post
I've been in taxis that have had these but they have a notice up saying so. I'd say you'd be in trouble if you had a dashcam recording passengers and didn't have a notice up (that can be seen clearly) stating you had a recording device in the car.
That would make sense. Anyone have a definite answer tho ?
15-02-2012, 09:34   #4
KKV

Send a message via MSN to KKV
As far as I'm aware, a taxi is considered a public place. You have no expectation or right to privacy in one, therefore you need not be told in advance you're being recorded.
15-02-2012, 10:03   #5
Stingray

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKV View Post
As far as I'm aware, a taxi is considered a public place. You have no expectation or right to privacy in one, therefore you need not be told in advance you're being recorded.
Pretty much rubbish, read this

http://www.dataprotection.ie/viewdoc...dance/cctv.htm
Advertisement
16-02-2012, 07:07   #6
KKV

Send a message via MSN to KKV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray View Post

Did you read it yourself?
16-02-2012, 09:27   #7
Cionád

In the small print it says: "The use of recording mechanisms to obtain data without an individual's knowledge is generally unlawful."

So I'd imagine as they are not in the majority of taxis, you wouldn't expect there to be one, and as such their presence should be acknowledged.

Came in handy for this driver:
16-02-2012, 10:52   #8
biko
Arbiter

http://www.thejournal.ie/data-commis...81613-Nov2011/

Quote:
THE DATA PROTECTION Commissioner has said that there are concerns about CCTV cameras being installed in Irish taxis.
An estimated 1,000 taxis around the country are fitted with CCTV cameras and legally, the taxi has to carry a sign to indicate the presence of CCTV. (Data Protection Commission guidelines state: The use of recording mechanisms to obtain data without an individual’s knowledge is generally unlawful.”) However, a vox pop of taxi drivers undertaken by Newstalk heard from one man who said he knew of some fellow drivers who had CCTV in their vehicle but didn’t let people know about it.
Ergo: without a sign it's probably not legal but everyone else is doing it...
16-02-2012, 11:00   #9
cormie

How big would the sign have to be and would you have to point people to the sign or would a simple sign be enough and it's up to them to see and read it? I've these cameras in my vans and although it's rare I'd have a customer in them too, it does happen on occasion. It's only recording out the window and audio though so not sure if the same would apply?
Advertisement
16-02-2012, 11:41   #10
kceire

Quote:
Originally Posted by smilgy View Post
Just wondering, is it legal for a taxi driver to have a dash cam filming the road and the passengers in the car ? For safety purposes of course.
Perfectly legal aslong as there is a CCTV sign. I'd have one myself if i was a taxi driver tbh.

Dublin Bus have CCTV, and dublin bus and taxi's are both forms of PSV's.
16-02-2012, 19:53   #11
miller50841

It is no problem at all to have a camera recording once only used for safety and security. To be honest more people should have them. People should buy these little dash cams as they will help save you in an accident or anything else bad.
Its a different story if someone is using the camera for a certain lets say wrong personal pleasure....

I have one in my car and forgot to put it in the one I was driving the last time had a crash where a truck tried to run me off the road would have showed where I was on the road and what he done.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion