Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

31-01-2012, 17:12   #1
monument

New traffic calming at junction King's Inns Street with Bolton Street

Seems very usable by cars and vans and better for cyclists than many other types of traffic calming which causes a 'pinch point' between cars and cyclists:

More photos here on flickr.
Advertisement
31-01-2012, 17:19   #2
Lapin
Banned

It looks hideous.
Thanks from:
31-01-2012, 17:24   #3
galwaycyclist
Banned

Ok knee jerk reaction is this looks like a typical "false one way street" installation that has been used at the wrong end of a one-way street.

The usual intent of such treatments would be to allow cyclist permeability past some traffic control focused mainly on motor traffic - so a banned left turn or a one-way/no-entry restriction that really only needs to apply to cars.

So with regret, it looks to have been put in backwards, the cyclist bypass should be on the left to allow contraflow cyclists to exit onto the crossing arm while preventing cars from trying the same thing. A similar treatment might be expected at the other end of the street (actually more important there).
31-01-2012, 17:31   #4
galwaycyclist
Banned

And if that is a secondary school on the corner, are we to understand that kids from the school don't already cycle contraflow up the street? Such as to get to the cycle lane we can see crossing the mouth of the junction?

If that is the case, then this treatment places turning cars in direct conflict with the cyclists turning out - or else - requires the cyclists to cycle on the wrong side of the road.

What is the opposite of a "gold star"?
31-01-2012, 17:35   #5
monument

Agreed on contra-flow -- it would fit on the street (segregated and mostly put behind a lane of parking maybe) -- even if it would require the removal of one of the turning lanes at the other end of the street (street view here).

But the reasoning for it is as an entry treatment to the 30km/h and to improve the pedestrian environment. The junction used to be very wide (street view).

With a lack of progress on contra-flow (or changing roads back to two-way!), it's an improvement for pedestrians and slowing the speeds of cars.
Advertisement
31-01-2012, 17:39   #6

I'm not sure what advantage this offers over a normal junction to anybody, it just seems to be creating clutter.
31-01-2012, 17:50   #7
monument

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jehuty42 View Post
I'm not sure what advantage this offers over a normal junction to anybody, it just seems to be creating clutter.
It's main aims seems to be very clear that this is an entry point to the 30km/h zone and to give pedestrians walking along Bolton Street a better and safer crossing (the crossing is at the level of the footpaths, the space people have to walk across which is shared with traffic is narrowed, and traffic is slowed down).
31-01-2012, 17:51   #8
galwaycyclist
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by monument View Post
Agreed on contra-flow -- it would fit on the street (segregated and mostly put behind a lane of parking maybe) -- even if it would require the removal of one of the turning lanes at the other end of the street (street view here).

But the reasoning for it is as an entry treatment to the 30km/h and to improve the pedestrian environment. The junction used to be very wide (street view).

With a lack of progress on contra-flow (or changing roads back to two-way!), it's an improvement for pedestrians and slowing the speeds of cars.

OK but if this is a 30km/h zone then it should be two-way for cyclists without needing any segregation. In fact in France it would probably be automatically two-way for cyclists.

Also if the intent is to slow speeds and reduce through traffic why are any turning lanes needed at the other end?
31-01-2012, 18:00   #9
Tails142

I was turning right off bolton street the first time I came upon this monstrosity and nearly ended up driving through the cycle lane part before I realised what it was.

the junction was too wide when trying to cross as a pedestrian but not sure it required the separate 'lane' for cyclists

could be worse I suppose, it seems to have more road markings now compared to when I first encountered it
Advertisement
31-01-2012, 18:02   #10
monument

Quote:
Originally Posted by galwaycyclist View Post
OK but if this is a 30km/h zone then it should be two-way for cyclists without needing any segregation. In fact in France it would probably be automatically two-way for cyclists.

Also if the intent is to slow speeds and reduce through traffic why are any turning lanes needed at the other end?
That's why I agree with you -- there should be contra-flow.

And you're right, they could even keep the parking and something like this could easily work, or something without the lanes or just a contra-flow lane (there's not one single option):

I'm not defending it, but I'd hazard a guess that the problem is the system is still obsessed with motor traffic flows, at lower or higher speeds, and this is made worse by all the car parks in the area.
Thanks from:
31-01-2012, 18:03   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tails142 View Post
I was turning right off bolton street the first time I came upon this monstrosity and nearly ended up driving through the cycle lane part before I realised what it was.
I agree, it looks visually very confusing and it's possible drivers will not fully understand what is expected of them here.
31-01-2012, 18:10   #12
galwaycyclist
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by monument View Post
Also even if there is an issue with providing contraflow access at the other end - they could still have made it contraflow for cycle traffic originating within the street. Such as the school?

This would still have satisfied the requirement of providing an entry treatment and reducing exposure for crossing pedestrians.
31-01-2012, 21:49   #13
AlekSmart

The other negative aspect of this twittery related to the ending of any prospect of routing a Bus Service along Kings Inn St.

Currently Bolton St,King St and Smithfield itself are in a Bermuda Triangle when it comes to Bus Services....

With the pre-existing narrowing along Capel St and the seeming unwillingness of DCC the QBN office and Dublin Bus themselves to actually do a small census to reveal the dense population who continue to be ignored with regard to a public transport service.

There are a shed-full of options and opportunities for New Termini and new routings to deliver some service to this forgotten part of Dublin City......
31-01-2012, 21:59   #14
Cookie_Monster

Send a message via Skype™ to Cookie_Monster
how are you supposed to get a truck down there without wrecking the kerbs?
31-01-2012, 22:49   #15
monument

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlekSmart View Post
The other negative aspect of this twittery related to the ending of any prospect of routing a Bus Service along Kings Inn St....
Luas BXD planned for the next street over has already done that.

But also you can't stop all installations of traffic calming (or traffic or cycle lanes, parking, Dublin Bike stands, etc etc) on any street just because a bus route could one undefined day use the street.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jehuty42 View Post
I agree, it looks visually very confusing and it's possible drivers will not fully understand what is expected of them here.
It's fairly simple:

On the road: An arrow painted for cars to enter, and bicycle for where bicycles enter.

On the yellow signs: Bicycle for bicycle bicycles go, and arrows for everything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tails142 View Post
the junction was too wide when trying to cross as a pedestrian but not sure it required the separate 'lane' for cyclists
It's to avoid the increased level of conflict between cyclists and motorists caused by a pinch point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookie_Monster View Post
how are you supposed to get a truck down there without wrecking the kerbs?
Does somebody need to get a truck down there?

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion