Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Swimming for Tri

• 25-01-2012 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭

Inspired by our latest convert to the SBR Challenge ;)

Shouldn't you do 1.5km straight swims with the wetsuit on, not tumble turn and not kick off the wall to keep it relevant?! :D

Seriously though, worth a discussion IMO...

Is kicking off the wall cheating?
    Are longer reps like 300s and 400s not better suited for Tri?
    Is there any point in learning to tumble turn?
    If Elite swimmers/triathletes are breathing every 2, why is it necessary to learn to bilateral breathe?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Pfft kicking off the wall 40+ times in a session develops the leg muscles. Good for all 3 disciplines.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Pfft kicking off the wall 40+ times in a session develops the leg muscles. Good for all 3 disciplines.

What? You training for a sprint?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Is kicking off the wall cheating? A little, but then so is following the tiles along the bottom to stay straight. I say we all ditch the goggles too!

Are longer reps like 300s and 400s not better suited for Tri? I'm going to bow to interested's greater knowledge on this and just do as he says.

Is there any point in learning to tumble turn? No. It's just showing off.

If Elite swimmers/triathletes are breathing every 2, why is it necessary to learn to bilateral breathe? It's not. So I havent learned!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Izoard wrote: »
    What? You training for a sprint?:)

40+ :pac:

And my pool is 33m - 62 lengths does the job for me. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

IMO, bilateral breathing is worthwhile. It keeps your stroke balanced and also gives you the option to breath to the other side in OW swims if the swell isn't favourable. Granted you probably won't swim bilaterally when working hard or racing but in general I think it's good practice. I know the swim smooth folks are strong advocates of it.

I've seen people with faster open turns than guys that tumble turn so it's not a necessity but it does look good when done right. I still haven't taken the time to learn it though.

300's and 400's are good and should definitely be in your sessions. So should 100s and 50s. It's a balance and you should mix up your sessions so you don't just do 100s all the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Inspired by our latest convert to the SBR Challenge ;)

Shouldn't you do 1.5km straight swims with the wetsuit on, not tumble turn and not kick off the wall to keep it relevant?! :D
    I know people who advocate this - their form is sh!t and they do bad bad times

No, why would it be? Its part and parcel of pool swimming. Want to bot have a wall to kick off - then OW swim
    Only if they are done with good form. Most triathletes are only reinforcing bad habits by doing 400s.
    Essential. Touch turns break your rhythm and give a split second breather. Tumbles keep you honest.
    If Elite swimmers/triathletes are breathing every 2, why is it necessary to learn to bilateral breathe?

Are you basing the Elite swimmers breathing every 2 on competition footage by any chance? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

tunney wrote: »
    Are you basing the Elite swimmers breathing every 2 on competition footage by any chance? :)
    Yep, both swimming and Tri.

Yep, both swimming and Tri.

"COMPETITION FOOTAGE". Waits for penny..............

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

I wouldn't really see kicking off the wall as cheating as long as you are doing the distances. Having to start from a standing start every lap would be a nightmare and overkill as you wouldn't be stopping if can be helped in the race

I suppose the tumble turns stop the sneaky break you might have in the longer sets which isn't great if you are doing long distance. But if you are trying to keep to a time I don't see it as much of a problem. I can do them but I get the breathing wrong going in and coming out of them so I am left gasping for air after turning so I don't go near them

I can breathe bilaterally but very rarely do - i make conscious efforts in warm up and warm down to do it but when the sets are difficult I know myself i am faster every 2

Longer sets are good for endurance, I enjoy a long OW swim during the summer where I just swim for a decent period of time. The faster sets increase your cruising speed over time

Training in OW - I am always surprised that peoples pool times are far better than their open water times. I find it easier to swim with the wetsuit on as it helps the body position. I think its important to get out at least once a week from May on

"COMPETITION FOOTAGE". Waits for penny..............

Is triathlon not a race? Where are you going with this? I get that they are sucking in the oxygen to maintain the effort, keeping and eye on moves, tactics etc... Even 1500m f/s swimmers breathe every 2 and switch sides to watch bothe sides of the pool. What am I missing? :confused:

Bringing it back to the application of bilateral breathing.. what are your throughts on that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

I'm just starting back swimming after a few years absence, and keen to not introduce bad habits. Breathing every 4th stroke suits me in training, but I was told as a kid that this will overdevelop one side of your stroke, and lead to muscular problems after a while (and I suppose an associated drift from straight line). Don't know how true that is, but I guess I should try breathing every 3rd.

Is triathlon not a race? Where are you going with this? I get that they are sucking in the oxygen to maintain the effort, keeping and eye on moves, tactics etc... Even 1500m f/s swimmers breathe every 2 and switch sides to watch bothe sides of the pool. What am I missing? :confused:

Bringing it back to the application of bilateral breathing.. what are your throughts on that?

Racing versus training.

Train bilaterally to get a balanced even stroke. Race as you will.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

Ive done these - a set of 6*1500 off 20 long course at UF one sunny morning a long time ago. Since the rest of the squad were racing Id to report back my times and average 100 splits for all 6. Everyone drifts but focusing on the clock and (as Tunney says) form at a particular level of effort is key. A lot of people are still getting used to swimming with the clock so the longer the intervals, the less likely they'll be to hold pace. 15*100's holding 1.25 off 1.35 - will arguably ensure focus and quality from a session.

Is it not like this with biking and running as well ? start the sport of triathlon - happy to get about - just do long spins on the bike and long runs ? want to push things on @ pace ... suddenly intervals ... percentages ... lions, tigers, bears .. oh my !

Evil .. IMO ;)

Nope and Yep, turns are NOT for resting. In the right hands tumble turns, kicking off the wall are a weapon. They're part of the discipline of pool swimming, they help maintain lane order and when presented with people idling about on the bank fully dressed can break the monotony of a long set by creating a wave that will soak their pants. Never fails to crack me up.

Yep, again the bit about focus and holding a pace. But only 400's .. Im not a big fan of 'funny' distances like 150's, 300's etc .. but its probably just me. I'd honestly love to give out a set of 6*400's off 6.30 for a particular group of swimmers but at the moment I feel they get more from something like 6*200's + 3 sets of 4 * 100's or similar ... focus, more feedback from the coach ... which many don't have apart from 1 hour a week.

learning to breath bilaterally and employing in when training helps 'balance' the stroke as much as possible. People will favour one side or another and will over-extend the opposing arm (to the side they breath to) arguably too much which puts strain on the smaller muscles in the front of the shoulder and is - recently - considered less efficient than maintaining a more shallow pull. Some squads now use 'centre' snorkels to allow people to swim sets 'feeling' without breathing which helps identify any strangeness.

Elite swimmers / triathletes when racing may swim differently when racing and training ... which Im guessing where Tunney's question came from.

Only if they are done with good form. Most triathletes are only reinforcing bad habits by doing 400s.

Do you not think that are needed every now and again, even if done with less than perfect form? If nothing else it might give weaker swimmers a mental boost knowing they are capable of swimming longer sets?

I agree with your comment on form, etc but feel that the 400s have their place every now and again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,766 ✭✭✭griffin100

Ive done these - a set of 6*1500 off 20 long course at UF one sunny morning a long time ago.

I need to lie down after reading that :eek:

pgibbo wrote: »
    Do you not think that are needed every now and again, even if done with less than perfect form? If nothing else it might give weaker swimmers a mental boost knowing they are capable of swimming longer sets?

I agree with your comment on form, etc but feel that the 400s have their place every now and again.

I agree 400s have their place of course. But if you got a set for next week which would you think would allow you hold better form and not reinforce sloppy habits?

10x400m on 8
    or
    40x100m? on 2

I agree 400s have their place of course. But if you got a set for next week which would you think would allow you hold better form and not reinforce sloppy habits?

10x400m on 8
    or
    40x100m? on 2

Both would make me put my tail between my legs and go home! :D

Point taken and without fail the 100s would be the better option

10x400m on 8
    or
    40x100m? on 2

Another way of looking at the 400s is that they create more awareness of your technique IMO and at what point it starts to melt down.

BTW I agree that the 10*4s would be more susceptible to reinforcing bad habits, I'm just offering a different perspective.

In my lane I find the group stays relatively together with sets of 100s even if the back of the lane are barely making the RTs. However extend the set to 400s and it usually breaks apart. Its not down to fitness as everyone in the lane is more or less swim fit. Its just down to swim efficiency.

I find that the set of 4s is not just a really good endurance test but it preesents the opportunity to really test you efficiency. To an extent you can muscle your way through a set of 100s (albeit 40 of thm would check that!).

Right now I'm faster than my nemesis over 50s and 100s and maybe even 200s but if we were to do a 1500 she would cruise a faster time and leave me red faced.

Interested once pointed out to me that there may be a tendency to 'drift off' in anything longer than 400. I took that as meaning the 400s was about as far as you could keep your mind set on form before going onto auto-pilot. Auto-pilot being the place of reinforcing the bad habits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭BennyMul

Is there a difference between doing a long straight swim e.g. 2K or 20*100, 10*200 etc?

why is the feeling here, is there any advantage in doing the straight swim, once, twice a month?

thanks

It comes down to the point the lads are making above about holding form. Form will be hard to hold for a straight 2k.

Personally, I didn't swim a straight 3.8km in the lead up to Barcelona. The onlt time I have ever done a straight 750, 1500, 1900 or 3800 has been in races. Others approach things differently but I know that my stroke isn't good enough to hold good form for the longer distances in training.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭BennyMul

thanks Pgibbo

Oh the boredom of 2km straight.

I used to see some lads that did similar with water walkmen. Waste of time.

I actually like 2k straight from time to time. Its short enough so you can be in and out and showered in an hour. Its just long enough to feel like a nice aerobic workout but not long enough to turn into a session. Simple up and down the pool 20 times steady. Ad hoc bits of other strokes, sprints, tumble turns etc if the mood takes you. All done in a nice relaxed rhythm :)

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

When I do 2k 'straight' I mean I dont take breaks. Each 100 I do try to either focus on one particular part of the stroke, or concentrate on position etc, in other words, to keep my mind on the job. Sometimes Ill do multiples of 25m hard 25 easy as part of a longer set. Am I wasting my time? Should I do things differently?

Oryx wrote: »
    When I do 2k 'straight' I mean I dont take breaks. Each 100 I do try to either focus on one particular part of the stroke, or concentrate on position etc, in other words, to keep my mind on the job. Sometimes Ill do multiples of 25m hard 25 easy as part of a longer set. Am I wasting my time? Should I do things differently?

No you are not wasting your time. Howver focusing on something different for 20 consecutive 100s?! I'd generally pick one or maybe 2 things tops to focus on and focus on it for the whole thing.

A hundred and one ways to split a 2k set though to get bang for buck. A quick one might be

6*50 as kick/drill 25 swim 25 for warm up
    5*200 with descending RTs
    1 minute rest
    5*100 with decending RTs
    1 minute rest
    4*25 max effort/ or 2*50 max if LC
    100m cool down any stroke but f/s

So one question I have is - what level does a swimmer need to be at before tackling long distance straight swims? Is being able to swim 1:45 or faster for 2k straight comfortably that value or something else? I'm assuming that once you reach a certain level your form won't suffer near as much as say a 2:00+ per 100 swimmer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

pgibbo wrote: »
    So one question I have is - what level does a swimmer need to be at before tackling long distance straight swims? Is being able to swim 1:45 or faster for 2k straight comfortably that value or something else? I'm assuming that once you reach a certain level your form won't suffer near as much as say a 2:00+ per 100 swimmer.

I'm probably not understanding the question here chief but ... imho

a) swim, swim regularly - for enjoyment, for fitness, for an escape from the real world. Typically the more time a person spends in water the more relaxed they are.

b) If a person is relaxed and comfortable in the water they're much more likely to take up instruction from a coach about one or two things related to their stroke. They're more aware in the water.

c) Most kids when being taught to swim don't do intervals - they will do alot of drills - kick, single arm etc, kicking on the back ... the elements of the various strokes and as they advance along the learning curve they may do things like diving etc. Its only if they have an interest in competitive swimming will they move to sets / intervals / clock work.

So ... for alot of triathletes starting out ... that want to get around a 750 or 1500 swim ... my advice would be to swim, get instruction from a single source where possible regarding your stroke - take on fixing or improving one or two things at a time as you go. The more you swim, the confidence grows ... it is possible to do 750/1500/1900/3800 without stopping, with bilateral breathing with the prettiest stroke in the pool ;)

To improve on that ... sets focus swimmers to train at a target pace that is easier to adhere to when utilising the clock than via feel. There probably arent that many that know what 1.30 pace 'feels' like ... over and over ... so doing sets on a target pace -5 seconds for sets of 100's, 200's, 400's or 800's can help. Help with confidence, swim endurance and enable coaches to correctly adjust sets and intervals to enable swimmers that are trying to improve to get their bodies used to rep times and the desired pace.

To try to answer the question "So one question I have is - what level does a swimmer need to be at before tackling long distance straight swims? Is being able to swim 1:45 or faster for 2k straight comfortably that value or something else?"

People starting out should do their best to keep good form and try and swim for Xk straight for their confidence. Anyone capable of doing 4*100 f/s on an interval time of 2min or less probably has a good enough stroke to manage Xk straight but imho will get more value from doing sets that will help improve their swim endurance / fitness over shorther / faster intervals.

Clear as mud ? ;) as always, just another opinion on D'internet

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭DaveR1

QUOTE]

I'm not sure about kicking off the wall but NOT tumble turning is definitely CHEATING.
    By not tumble turning it allows you to take a cheap breath, which can give a lot more air than a breath during the length. You are not breathing on a swim stroke!!!
    However, it is slower so I tumble! :p

DaveR1 wrote: »
    I'm not sure about kicking off the wall but NOT tumble turning is definitely CHEATING.
    By not tumble turning it allows you to take a cheap breath, which can give a lot more air than a breath during the length. You are not breathing on a swim stroke!!!
    However, it is slower so I tumble! :p

I practiced a couple taking shotgunjunior swimming last week. Maybe made 1 out of 10 attempts look vaguely like its supposed to although sh!t slow. Some morning I'll try one in the lane when there isn't someone within 10m of my feet! I'd only cause injury if I tried one in a regular set, not that you would be in harms way :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Notwitch

I tried swimming with a band around my ankles for the first time yesterday.

Only reason I wasn't vertical by the end of the first length was because the pool was so shallow. Lifeguards were getting itchy in their seats.

I was certainly more aware of my body position afterwards. So for me it's very tough but it seems to be both a strength and body position workout.

Advertisement