Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

22-01-2012, 02:07   #1
datura

Graduate jobs in the civil service (AO)

Just in case anybody interested hadn't seen this:

http://www.publicjobs.ie/publicjobs/...aturedJob=true

They're looking for people with backgrounds in Human Resources, Law, Accountancy, Economics, Banking and Finance and Tax Policy.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
23-01-2012, 01:18   #2
Slydice

Quote:
Originally Posted by datura View Post
Human Resources, Law, Accountancy, Economics, Banking and Finance and Tax Policy.
might be worth putting that into the title of this thread cos ya pretty much need a degree in one of em
11-02-2012, 15:19   #3
Nolanger
Banned

Apparently only 3,200 applied. We're in recession and new graduates have no interest in these pensionable jobs? Then they cry at the airports to mammy before heading off to Australia/Canada?
(3) thanks from:
11-02-2012, 16:48   #4
josephotoole91

A lot of the positions required masters degrees which probably cut down on the potential recruitment pool.
Thanks from:
11-02-2012, 20:33   #5
Toasterspark
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolanger View Post
Apparently only 3,200 applied.
How many jobs are there available?

I'm assuming they are all Dublin-based - will they have preference for people in the Dublin region (similar to the summer vacancies?).
Advertisement
11-02-2012, 20:42   #6
JohnMearsheimer

Any graduate could not apply for these positions. The job specs for these positions I read on public jobs were very targeted. Usually AO competitions are open to anyone with a degree but the Public Appointments Service were clearly looking for specific graduates in this case. For example, with the HR related jobs they wanted people with CIPD qualifications, other jobs required you to be a qualified solicitor, others you needed a masters in economics. Only a small number of our total graduates would meet the minimum standards for eligibility.

Last edited by JohnMearsheimer; 11-02-2012 at 20:48.
11-02-2012, 20:45   #7
JohnMearsheimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toasterspark View Post
How many jobs are there available?

I'm assuming they are all Dublin-based - will they have preference for people in the Dublin region (similar to the summer vacancies?).
Probably not a whole lot of jobs available. They won't care where you're from or based.
14-02-2012, 21:50   #8
InReality

pity I missed this.
were there any jobs that just needed a degree ?
15-02-2012, 00:19   #9
flowers11

Quote:
Apparently only 3,200 applied. We're in recession and new graduates have no interest in these pensionable jobs? Then they cry at the airports to mammy before heading off to Australia/Canada?
The jobs available are very specified and most require masters degree and experience, solicitors will be given priority over legal graduates who apply for the legal roles for one example so I really dont think this is a fair comment to make. I'm one of the 3,200 people who DID apply and am not very optimistic of my chances and know that pretty soon I will probably have to wave my parents off tearfully at an airport.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
15-02-2012, 01:12   #10
JohnMearsheimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by InReality View Post
pity I missed this.
were there any jobs that just needed a degree ?
No, none.
15-02-2012, 10:54   #11
johnny-fatality

sickened I didn't hear about this in time.
15-02-2012, 18:15   #12
Nolanger
Banned

I applied and did some kind of online questionnaire last week. Just because you have a Masters doesn't mean you'll pass their aptitude tests/interviews. The number of people with a 4th level qualification is very low in the Civil Service anyway. A bit late in the day for the Public Sector to be looking economics/finance/accounting graduates. Done ten years ago we might not be in this recession?
15-02-2012, 18:35   #13
flowers11

Never said that having a masters entiltled you to a job or meant you'd pass the interview just meant it would give you an advantage if they specified it in the job requirements section of the job description.
15-02-2012, 19:06   #14
JohnMearsheimer

Quote:
I applied and did some kind of online questionnaire last week. Just because you have a Masters doesn't mean you'll pass their aptitude tests/interviews. The number of people with a 4th level qualification is very low in the Civil Service anyway. A bit late in the day for the Public Sector to be looking economics/finance/accounting graduates. Done ten years ago we might not be in this recession?
True, it does not but the first round of tests is just to cut a whole bunch of people. Even if you pass it they'll probably cut you because you didn't meet the eligibility requirements to apply in the first place....that is if you don't possess what they're looking for....I don't know, maybe you do. I agree, in the past the public sector were not great at matching jobs with people's skills, backgrounds and strengths but surely it's better late than never.

Last edited by JohnMearsheimer; 15-02-2012 at 19:36.
Thanks from:
15-02-2012, 22:51   #15
microbio
Closed Account

Quote:
The number of people with a 4th level qualification is very low in the Civil Service anyway.
Do you know this from personal experience or is it an assumption based on the state of the country? As a recent recruit from a competition which required a level 7 qualification, I can tell you that most of the recruits had a level 9 qualification, and/or a level 10 (about 10 or 11 out of 15 taken on). It is my experience in my department that level 9/10 qualifications are widely held.
Based on our own competition, they will be looking for value for money from candidates. Best of luck with your applications.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion