Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
27-06-2012, 10:24   #496
naughtb4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by ED E View Post
No, the phone.


And no, not what I mean. When I said "upgrade" I was referring to an "in place upgrade", where the update changes the system and leaves your apps and data there. In both windows and android this always causes problems or performance issues down the road so its always best to start clean.
What is the best way to "Start Clean" ideally without using Flashtool?

I have backed up using PC Companion, is it possible to factory reset and then restore using this?
naughtb4 is offline  
Advertisement
27-06-2012, 11:04   #497
Ludo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Cork
Posts: 2,865
Installed SUS (Sony Update Software) rather than PC Companion and update now in progress.....DONE

Last edited by Ludo; 27-06-2012 at 11:16.
Ludo is offline  
(2) thanks from:
27-06-2012, 13:24   #498
be wide of me
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 88
Just updated no problem through Sony Update Centre. No need to factory reset. Impressed with ICS so far Got a white Xperia S on meteor!
be wide of me is offline  
27-06-2012, 13:29   #499
Ludo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Cork
Posts: 2,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by be wide of me View Post
Just updated no problem through Sony Update Centre. No need to factory reset. Impressed with ICS so far Got a white Xperia S on meteor!
Impressed with what exactly? Only thing I really noticed so far is the font appears different in most apps (plume/dolphin, etc).
No obvious difference really so far....what am I missing?
Ludo is offline  
27-06-2012, 13:33   #500
ED E
Registered User
 
ED E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: D14
Posts: 12,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by naughtb4 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ED E View Post
No, the phone.


And no, not what I mean. When I said "upgrade" I was referring to an "in place upgrade", where the update changes the system and leaves your apps and data there. In both windows and android this always causes problems or performance issues down the road so its always best to start clean.
What is the best way to "Start Clean" ideally without using Flashtool?

I have backed up using PC Companion, is it possible to factory reset and then restore using this?
Factory reset does the same thing as flashtool's wipe command, but restoring a seus backup might null the whole process, depending on how in depth it is.
ED E is offline  
Advertisement
27-06-2012, 13:34   #501
be wide of me
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludo View Post
Impressed with what exactly? Only thing I really noticed so far is the font appears different in most apps (plume/dolphin, etc).
No obvious difference really so far....what am I missing?
Find the swipe more responsive the phone seems to boot faster, all in all the phone runs better, no doubt improving battery life. I like the new texts and fonts, i think the software feels less outdated.

And get all technical if you want but i'm a smartphone newbie and am glad i upgraded that's just my opinion!!
be wide of me is offline  
27-06-2012, 13:56   #502
naughtb4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,177
Seems to be some comments on ICS battery drain on XDA

Only thing i have really noticed is the notification bar is ALOT smaller and the music app seems to be interfering with some of the shortcuts buttons i had configured for double twist.

Wish Sony would release a stock music + podcast player
naughtb4 is offline  
27-06-2012, 14:19   #503
batistuta9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 4,729
Quote:
Originally Posted by ED E View Post
Factory reset does the same thing as flashtool's wipe command, but restoring a seus backup might null the whole process, depending on how in depth it is.
so when updating you should backup everything >> factory reset >> then do the update, right?

also is this just for OS versions or firmware updates too
batistuta9 is offline  
27-06-2012, 20:34   #504
marcbrophy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Limerick
Posts: 1,060
I think I'm getting great battery life on ICS compared to GB!

More than 36 hours usage, and still 16% battery



Last edited by marcbrophy; 27-06-2012 at 20:46.
marcbrophy is online now  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
27-06-2012, 21:20   #505
Ludo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Cork
Posts: 2,865
Is it just me or is the market (play or whatever it is called now) no longer able to update more than one app at a time? I have a fair few to update after moving to ICS and if I kick off more than one at a time, nothing downloads until I cancel them all and start them one at a time.
Ludo is offline  
27-06-2012, 21:53   #506
naughtb4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludo View Post
Is it just me or is the market (play or whatever it is called now) no longer able to update more than one app at a time? I have a fair few to update after moving to ICS and if I kick off more than one at a time, nothing downloads until I cancel them all and start them one at a time.
Must just be you , i updated 40 or so tonight
naughtb4 is offline  
27-06-2012, 21:58   #507
marcbrophy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Limerick
Posts: 1,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by naughtb4 View Post
Must just be you , i updated 40 or so tonight
Yeah, I just updated 7 there, all automatic after I pressed the update button

Is it just me though, or do they update 1 at a time now, rather than all at once, like I remember before?
marcbrophy is online now  
27-06-2012, 22:11   #508
naughtb4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,177
Fifa 12 is free on the Play Now Store as an FYI, not sure of the price on market

Wait no only a trial version

Last edited by naughtb4; 27-06-2012 at 22:12. Reason: Update
naughtb4 is offline  
28-06-2012, 00:33   #509
thebman
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 9,948
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcbrophy View Post
Yeah, I just updated 7 there, all automatic after I pressed the update button

Is it just me though, or do they update 1 at a time now, rather than all at once, like I remember before?
Same here, noticed tonight
thebman is offline  
Thanks from:
28-06-2012, 00:36   #510
ED E
Registered User
 
ED E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: D14
Posts: 12,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by batistuta9 View Post
so when updating you should backup everything >> factory reset >> then do the update, right?

also is this just for OS versions or firmware updates too
Yep, backup then wipe and update or backup then update and wipe, either works.

Nah, minor updates dont bother with this, just major revisions
ED E is offline  
Thanks from:
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet