Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

18-01-2012, 15:04   #316
Fizzlesque

[/QUOTE] I'm more interested in if other people on here from the northside have managed to source alternatives. I thought it would be quicker than waiting for dub city to get back to me.[/QUOTE]

So far, no. I've tried Thorntons, Greenstar, Panda and looked at Access' site and none of them service Finglas (which is where I am). I've also been looking online for an alternative and it would appear there isn't one.

Quite simply, I don't have 80e to pay (for the small bin the yearly charge is 80e) upfront, and I've heard a few negative stories about Greyhound's service so, for now, I'm going to sort out my waste needs myself. Most of my waste involves the green bin anyway so I'll take that to the recycling centre myself (on my trustee bicycle) and my compost bin takes care of most of my food waste (what it doesn't take the birds can eat) and it looks like I'll be lighting the fire in my house a lot more in the future. There'll always be something difficult to get rid of (biros keep coming into my mind for some reason ) but I'm sure I'll find a way that doesn't involve breaking the law or spending money that could be better spent elsewhere (as soon as I have some).

Last edited by Fizzlesque; 18-01-2012 at 15:14.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
18-01-2012, 15:07   #317
Bistoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
Are you still on this? Competition is allowed (as you can see on the south/west sides of the city. As per the post above, Thorntons are now looking into expanding their business. Some parts of the northside seem to be covered by other private companies

A private company choosing to not enter a market isn't the same as DCC not allowing competition
I think Dirk was suggesting that it seems like it never went to public tender, witch I think is required by law.
18-01-2012, 15:10   #318
Dodge

Just a quick ord of advice for anybody thinking of leaving Greyhound, make sure you write to them to tell them you're not aviling of their services.

You don't want to get to a situation where 3/4 months down the line you have enough money to pay upfront, only to find out you're technically in arrears, and your €100 will only do for the period January 2012-January 2013 (as your 'custom' was automatically transferred to them from DCC)

I don't know if this is the case, but I'd make sure I let them know.

I doubt if you wanted to become a 'new' customer in April/june/whatever, they're turn you down
Thanks from:
18-01-2012, 15:11   #319
Dodge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bistoman View Post
I think Dirk was suggesting that it seems like it never went to public tender, witch I think is required by law.
That wouldn't really effect the level of competition though

Obviously there's concerns there too
18-01-2012, 15:26   #320
Fizzlesque

Quote:
Just a quick ord of advice for anybody thinking of leaving Greyhound, make sure you write to them to tell them you're not aviling of their services.

You don't want to get to a situation where 3/4 months down the line you have enough money to pay upfront, only to find out you're technically in arrears, and your €100 will only do for the period January 2012-January 2013 (as your 'custom' was automatically transferred to them from DCC)

I don't know if this is the case, but I'd make sure I let them know.

I doubt if you wanted to become a 'new' customer in April/june/whatever, they're turn you down
Yeah, it's probably worth doing for the reason you mention (which I hadn't thought of) but, also, I'd quite like to let them know their upfront demand is why I was looking elsewhere and refuse to be strongarmed into (a) using them and (b) paying for a whole year in advance. It's a pity Greenstar don't service Finglas (they have sent a letter offering to service Dublin 2, which is where my office is, so they do cover some of DCC's old turf) I'd have given them my business if they did.

Apparently it's possible to bring household waste to North Strand and Ringsend recycling centres (4euro a bag - black refuse sack - for household waste and 2euro a bag for green waste), so, thankfully, there's more than one way to skin this particular cat.
Advertisement
18-01-2012, 15:39   #321
lensman

I've emailed the Dublin city manager informing him that my consent was not sought or given in relation to the transfer & therefor I still consider myself to be a customer of DCC regarding bin collections, I also stated same for transfer of any arrears or in credit balance....no reply as yet, also nobody in my area has received any post/info pack from greyhound or DCC in relation to the transfer...green bins were put out this morning as was normal under DCC & have not been lifted.

Last edited by lensman; 18-01-2012 at 15:46.
18-01-2012, 16:04   #322
Ernest

Nobody Knew About the Change

Yesterday every house on my road had their green bins out for collection - this used to be the fortnightly green bin collection day. Clearly nobody knew about the change that Dublin City Council are attempting to perpetrate on us without our consent.
The City Manager is John Tierney. To contact your elected city councillors see the following link:
http://www.dublincity.ie/YourCouncil...llorsHome.aspx
18-01-2012, 16:11   #323
Dirk Gently
Closed Account

Quote:
Are you still on this?
well considering the councillors themselves don't know the contents of the deal I'm not sure how you can be so sure it's just a matter of other companies deciding , "meh, we don't want the business".

Dub city sold their waste collection service to greyhound. They done it very rapidly and in a way so as to hook their customers into signing up with greyhound for a year. Why didn't they make provision for 2 or 3 companies to openly compete for our custom.

Dear customers, we no longer provide a bin service, here are your options for alternative providers...... (They didn't do this. They transferred the whole show to a single provider who they would have known would have a monopoly in a huge part of their administrate area by default of the way in which the collection service was sold.

Quote:
Under the Waste Management Act, (1996), all local authorities in Ireland are obliged to collect or arrange for the collection of the domestic waste in their area. They must also provide or arrange for the provision of facilities for the disposal and recovery of household waste. Household waste will generally be collected once a week, whether by a private operator or a local authority. They will follow a specific route and different areas will be serviced on different days.

Under the terms of the Waste Management Act (1996) and the Waste Management (Planning) Regulations (1997), each local authority must prepare a waste management plan, giving details of how they will deal with the waste in their area. Domestic waste can be disposed of in different ways. Most local authorities provide waste collection services. However, private waste collectors are becoming more common. If you decide not to make use of organised waste collection, you can dispose of much of your own domestic waste by recycling, home composting and use of civic amenity centres.
The council are ultimately responsible for domestic bin collection, whether through themselves or by arranging private operators to service areas.
Do you really think it went unnoticed by Dub city and greyhound that no other operators serviced the northside or that by making it prepay on short notice that greyhound would have a 1 year monopoly? Did greyhound just get lucky?
18-01-2012, 16:14   #324
Dirk Gently
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bistoman View Post
As far as I know it did go to tender, but it's the conditions of that tender I'm interested in. Whether it be greyhound or any other company winning the tender the fact remains that only one company got it and by default got 1 years worth of custom due to the prepay within 30 days clause.

There should have been a more orderly wind down, council giving a few months notice to customers and making sure multiple companies where in place with whom to switch to.

Last edited by Dirk Gently; 18-01-2012 at 16:17.
Advertisement
18-01-2012, 16:21   #325
Bambi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Gently View Post
Do you really think it went unnoticed by Dub city and greyhound that no other operators serviced the northside or that by making it prepay on short notice that greyhound would have a 1 year monopoly? Did greyhound just get lucky?
I would have assumed DCC went through a tender process where all the big recycling companies were given a chance to vie for the contract and so would have know that this was coming down the line. Would be very irregular if there was no tender process. Although nothing suprises me about DCC
18-01-2012, 16:27   #326
Dirk Gently
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi View Post
I would have assumed DCC went through a tender process where all the big recycling companies were given a chance to vie for the contract and so would have know that this was coming down the line. Would be very irregular if there was no tender process. Although nothing suprises me about DCC
see post above. I'm sure all the major players tendered and that greyhound was the eventual winner. My gripe is that dub city (1) awarded it to a single company (2) didn't notify customers until the clock was already ticking on their greyhound account (3) created a de facto monopoly on the northside by way of their timing of the abrupt transfer and pre-pay bill.

I don't accept that the engineered northside monopoly wasn't very much at the centre of agreement.
18-01-2012, 17:02   #327
John Mason
Hosted Moderator

HMod: PFJ
i cannot believe that no other company services finglas. was on to OZO and will be in the next couple of months but they havent got a date yet.

my friend works in the waste industry and they reckon greyhound is up to their eyes in debt and need this upfront money to keep the company afloat
18-01-2012, 17:07   #328
Emma1980

problem you have though is that if ozo do come in in the northside in the next couple of months, you'll have already paid greyhound the non refundable 100euro for the year - unless of course you decide to dispose of your rubbish yourself in the meantime! It's a no win situation!
18-01-2012, 17:08   #329
Dirk Gently
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishbird View Post
i cannot believe that no other company services finglas. was on to OZO and will be in the next couple of months but they havent got a date yet.
how do they plan on getting people to switch when everyone will have paid greyhound a year in advance.
18-01-2012, 17:10   #330
lensman

Here's an interesting posts a few pages back http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showp...2&postcount=95
If it's true greyhound didn't actually have the money to bid in the first place & got the DCC bin collection gig on a kind of (buy now pay later) deal, so greyhound need us all pay our €100 yearly charge up front so they have the money to honour the deal.....I would suspect greyhound covered the arse in a get out clause, ie: if they don't collect enough money up front they can back out of the deal.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion