Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
25-08-2012, 23:08   #121
dahamsta
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: The Internet
Posts: 16,322
I think the righteous indignation is a bit previous tbh.

I don't agree with the previous posts about the wonderfulness of the current system btw, it's neither logical nor graceful, it was designed solely with snobbery in mind, to benefit the "Irish Motor Industry". A letter-based system is much more logical, for example, simply because 26 > 10.
dahamsta is offline  
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
25-08-2012, 23:21   #122
Esel
Registered User
 
Esel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Dublin
Posts: 13,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by dahamsta View Post
A letter-based system is much more logical, for example, simply because 26 > 10.
But.... but 99 > 26.

I do get your point though.
Esel is offline  
Thanks from:
25-08-2012, 23:53   #123
dahamsta
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: The Internet
Posts: 16,322
Or, in the case of an import, 100000 > the width of the number plate.

I'd like to be introduced to the guy that came up with that and punch him in the face; just once, but hard. Dickhead.

Last edited by dahamsta; 26-08-2012 at 03:19.
dahamsta is offline  
(2) thanks from:
26-08-2012, 01:35   #124
carchaeologist
Moderator
 
carchaeologist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: On the bypass...
Posts: 9,050
Mod: Kerry
Send a message via MSN to carchaeologist
I'd like to kick the **** out of the whole lot of them!

Talk about making absolute **** of a perfectly good system.
carchaeologist is offline  
26-08-2012, 07:57   #125
Del2005
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 6,942
Quote:
Originally Posted by noodler View Post
I doubt it.

At the very least there will be more sales in Jan/Feb/Mar and then July/August/Sept.
Nope the dealers created the current mess of nearly all car sales being bought in Dec-Feb by ageing all cars the same, you get the same price for a Jan car as a Dec all other things being equal. If we get two different reg numbers per year the dealers will offer less for a Jan-Jun reg than for a Jul-Dec reg. So the same thing will happen except that most car sales will now be in Jun-Aug.

To smooth out the car sales the dealers need to change their trade in policies and that isn't going to happen

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodler View Post
I really think people are overblowing this 13 thing - I mean the system is supposed to be in place permanently - not just for 2013.
As has been pointed out there are plenty of cars with 13 on their registration plate, the SIMI made up the 13 issue to get the reg system changed after they created the uneven sales themselves. They are using the 13 as a smoke screen.
Del2005 is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
26-08-2012, 12:02   #126
Darsad
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 659
How many here work in a business that is front loaded to the first four months of the year. Given the current economic climate it is very hard for a motor dealer to employ good staff for the first six months only to find they have to let them off for the second six months. The new system will allow for a more even spread of the new car business. As for Triskaidekaphobia, I believe there was an independent survey conducted for the SIMI that showed quite a high percentage I think around 20% of the people would not buy a new car in 2013 because of the number 13. I dont think the gov would change the number plate system because of the No 13 alone for fear of negative perception from outside Ireland. However using the balancing sales argument will kill two birds with the one stone and makes good sense.
Darsad is offline  
Thanks from:
26-08-2012, 12:43   #127
AugustusMinimus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,083
I'd go a step further so.

Why not have a plate system which takes each month of the year into account.

13A - January 2013
13B - February 2013

etc etc

Would fully spread car sales across the year evenlt.
AugustusMinimus is offline  
(4) thanks from:
26-08-2012, 14:03   #128
djimi
Registered User
 
djimi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,609
People are saying that this will split the sales more evenly across the year, but will it not just create a situation where noone wants a 131 plate, and instead will hold out to June to get a 132 plate, meaning fewer cars are sold in January-April? You know what people are like when it comes to the reg plate...
djimi is offline  
26-08-2012, 14:34   #129
Eric Cartman
Registered User
 
Eric Cartman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Kildare
Posts: 10,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by djimi View Post
People are saying that this will split the sales more evenly across the year, but will it not just create a situation where noone wants a 131 plate, and instead will hold out to June to get a 132 plate, meaning fewer cars are sold in January-April? You know what people are like when it comes to the reg plate...
but by that logic then would they not just hold out for a 141 plate , or a 142 plate "sure its only 6 months till the new one" , people have to buy cars some time.
Eric Cartman is online now  
Advertisement
26-08-2012, 15:20   #130
Del2005
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 6,942
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
but by that logic then would they not just hold out for a 141 plate , or a 142 plate "sure its only 6 months till the new one" , people have to buy cars some time.
Because when you go to trade in your Feb 13 car the dealer will offer you less then someone with a similar Aug 13 car. The dealers created the short buying period and now they will just move it to mid Summer instead of mid Winter.

The only way to remove the short purchasing period is for dealers to offer trade ins on the car not the 1st two digits, soon to be 3, on the plate, as they are the ones offering less for a Dec registered car than a Jan registered car.
Del2005 is offline  
26-08-2012, 19:08   #131
Limerick man
Moderator
 
Limerick man's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Luimneach
Posts: 20,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by djimi View Post
People are saying that this will split the sales more evenly across the year, but will it not just create a situation where noone wants a 131 plate, and instead will hold out to June to get a 132 plate, meaning fewer cars are sold in January-April? You know what people are like when it comes to the reg plate...
No, they have this system in the UK and it works fine.
Limerick man is offline  
26-08-2012, 19:25   #132
djimi
Registered User
 
djimi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,609
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
but by that logic then would they not just hold out for a 141 plate , or a 142 plate "sure its only 6 months till the new one" , people have to buy cars some time.
Not if you actually want a new car. I might be wide of the mark but considering the importance a lot of people seem to put in the number plate I really dont think its that much of a stretch to think that people will wait until the "2" plate is released, if the want to buy a new car. Also you know full well that when it comes to trade ins the "2" plates are invariably going to be worth more than the "1" plates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limerick man View Post
No, they have this system in the UK and it works fine.
In fairness this change is reported to be coming about because people are superstitious of a number plate; Im not sure Id be trying to second guess the mentality of the Irish car buyer!!!
djimi is offline  
26-08-2012, 19:27   #133
Limerick man
Moderator
 
Limerick man's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Luimneach
Posts: 20,524
I think the idea of the change is fine, I'm not pressed either way about the extra digit but still.

My car Is December 04, the fact that a January 05 car could be worth a grand or two more is a joke IMO.
Limerick man is offline  
26-08-2012, 19:30   #134
Our man in Havana
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 28,890
Bring in dateless plates. Solves all the problems.
Our man in Havana is offline  
26-08-2012, 19:49   #135
djimi
Registered User
 
djimi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,609
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limerick man View Post
I think the idea of the change is fine, I'm not pressed either way about the extra digit but still.

My car Is December 04, the fact that a January 05 car could be worth a grand or two more is a joke IMO.
This is exactly what I mean though; the idea that now not only will a January car be worth more than a car registered a few weeks earlier in the previous December, an July reg car will also be worth more than one registered a few weeks earlier in June. And knowing how we are about reg plates I cant see many people buying cars after maybe January if they know that in a matter of weeks they could get a more valuable car.
djimi is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet