Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

06-12-2011, 18:41   #1
Sleety_Rain

Potential Extreme Wind Storm - Thursday 8th December

Well originally i anticipated the low would slam into Scotland and the northern Isles but over recent model runs the deep low pressure system has been placed further south with northern counties of Ulster at risk of extreme winds.

The exact track and depth of the low will be difficult to pin point until tomorrow evening. However i feel it necessary to start this thread to put a warning out there.

The system is picked up by the ECM as a vicious system with exceptional winds at its left exit perilously close to the north coast.

Please stay tuned, it will turn windy this evening and overnight across much of the country but this event is expected to hit Thursday and it will be tracked with great concern by Met.IE / Metoffice and your boardsies.

There is also the risk of blizzards if the system does reach the mainland.

Wind gust estimates at this stage are uncertain but this could be extremely severe and we are considering the possibility of gusts in excess of 150km/hr.

Of course it may not come to pass or move further north.

While the GFS throws an extreme gradient a little further north

Last edited by Sleety_Rain; 06-12-2011 at 18:44.
Advertisement
06-12-2011, 18:50   #2
Tom Cruises Left Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weathercheck View Post
Well originally i anticipated the low would slam into Scotland and the northern Isles but over recent model runs the deep low pressure system has been placed further south with northern counties of Ulster at risk of extreme winds.

The exact track and depth of the low will be difficult to pin point until tomorrow evening. However i feel it necessary to start this thread to put a warning out there.

The system is picked up by the ECM as a vicious system with exceptional winds at its left exit perilously close to the north coast.

Please stay tuned, it will turn windy this evening and overnight across much of the country but this event is expected to hit Thursday and it will be tracked with great concern by Met.IE / Metoffice and your boardsies.

There is also the risk of blizzards if the system does reach the mainland.

Wind gust estimates at this stage are uncertain but this could be extremely severe and we are considering the possibility of gusts in excess of 150km/hr.

Of course it may not come to pass or move further north.

Oohhhh exciting weather !!!

Last edited by Sleety_Rain; 06-12-2011 at 19:01.
(2) thanks from:
06-12-2011, 18:52   #3
Ahorseofaman

Is this the same system that Met E are saying will bring potential large amounts snow on saturday night?
06-12-2011, 18:59   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahorseofaman View Post
Is this the same system that Met E are saying will bring potential large amounts snow on saturday night?
No. That's a different system.
(2) thanks from:
06-12-2011, 19:02   #5
Ahorseofaman

Interesting few days ahead then.
Advertisement
06-12-2011, 19:21   #6
Caitriona

Blizzards? Actualy blizzards? Oh no, I'm going to have to get a new F5 key...
06-12-2011, 19:22   #7
maquiladora

It looks potentially bad for Scotland and Northern England alright. A lot less for Ireland if the 12Z GFS track verified.

Even though the 12Z track shifted south, these lows usually end up tracking further north than the models forecast. Still though, its an interesting one.
06-12-2011, 19:28   #8
pistolpetes11

Loving the weather at the moment , even without the snow in my back yard the weather of late has been interesting to say the least
(2) thanks from:
06-12-2011, 19:42   #9
maquiladora

13th/14th also needs to be watched for a potential severe wind event. The ECM and several of the GFS ensembles show this, some with extreme low pressure.

Advertisement
06-12-2011, 19:50   #10
Tom Cruises Left Nut

Has the bottom of the chart been cut in the budget ??

How low pressure are we talking ?
(2) thanks from:
06-12-2011, 19:55   #11

Oh crap.

Dont mean to go off topic folks but I am gonna have to watch this like a hawk. On a ferry ferry - the big ones, on Friday morning and back Sunday night, with drive from Holyhead to Liverpool.

Anyone take a guess what all this will mean. Will there be any disruption or is to early to guess ???

Thanks
Thanks from:
06-12-2011, 20:15   #12
Sleety_Rain

Quote:
Originally Posted by superscouse View Post
Oh crap.

Dont mean to go off topic folks but I am gonna have to watch this like a hawk. On a ferry ferry - the big ones, on Friday morning and back Sunday night, with drive from Holyhead to Liverpool.

Anyone take a guess what all this will mean. Will there be any disruption or is to early to guess ???

Thanks
The worst winds to hit the Irish sea are likely to hit Thursday evening, and i would expect Thursday afternoons crossing to perhaps be delayed as winds in the Irish sea are expected to be sustained 50-60mph gusting 70-80mph.
06-12-2011, 20:19   #13
bryaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by superscouse View Post
Oh crap.

Thanks
Wear a pair of wellies for getting trough the puke..
Thanks from:
06-12-2011, 20:25   #14
howlinwolf

a lot of lows flyin in towards us in the last few days , met eir are sayin tonights winds could be the strongest but are mentioning it will be very windy later in the week , there prob seeing the severe low on thursday drifting further north by then but either way ulster could get a serious pounding this week.... kinda glad im down here in the balmy southeast
06-12-2011, 20:45   #15
smallwonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weathercheck View Post
I may have to cancel tea on the veranda
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion