Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
06-12-2011, 18:41   #1
Sleety_Rain
Registered User
 
Sleety_Rain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 10,798
Potential Extreme Wind Storm - Thursday 8th December

Well originally i anticipated the low would slam into Scotland and the northern Isles but over recent model runs the deep low pressure system has been placed further south with northern counties of Ulster at risk of extreme winds.

The exact track and depth of the low will be difficult to pin point until tomorrow evening. However i feel it necessary to start this thread to put a warning out there.

The system is picked up by the ECM as a vicious system with exceptional winds at its left exit perilously close to the north coast.

Please stay tuned, it will turn windy this evening and overnight across much of the country but this event is expected to hit Thursday and it will be tracked with great concern by Met.IE / Metoffice and your boardsies.

There is also the risk of blizzards if the system does reach the mainland.

Wind gust estimates at this stage are uncertain but this could be extremely severe and we are considering the possibility of gusts in excess of 150km/hr.

Of course it may not come to pass or move further north.



While the GFS throws an extreme gradient a little further north


Last edited by Sleety_Rain; 06-12-2011 at 18:44.
Sleety_Rain is offline  
Advertisement
06-12-2011, 18:50   #2
Tom Cruises Left Nut
Registered User
 
Tom Cruises Left Nut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 8,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weathercheck View Post
Well originally i anticipated the low would slam into Scotland and the northern Isles but over recent model runs the deep low pressure system has been placed further south with northern counties of Ulster at risk of extreme winds.

The exact track and depth of the low will be difficult to pin point until tomorrow evening. However i feel it necessary to start this thread to put a warning out there.

The system is picked up by the ECM as a vicious system with exceptional winds at its left exit perilously close to the north coast.

Please stay tuned, it will turn windy this evening and overnight across much of the country but this event is expected to hit Thursday and it will be tracked with great concern by Met.IE / Metoffice and your boardsies.

There is also the risk of blizzards if the system does reach the mainland.

Wind gust estimates at this stage are uncertain but this could be extremely severe and we are considering the possibility of gusts in excess of 150km/hr.

Of course it may not come to pass or move further north.

Oohhhh exciting weather !!!

Last edited by Sleety_Rain; 06-12-2011 at 19:01.
Tom Cruises Left Nut is offline  
(2) thanks from:
06-12-2011, 18:52   #3
Ahorseofaman
Registered User
 
Ahorseofaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 242
Is this the same system that Met E are saying will bring potential large amounts snow on saturday night?
Ahorseofaman is online now  
06-12-2011, 18:59   #4
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 4,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahorseofaman View Post
Is this the same system that Met E are saying will bring potential large amounts snow on saturday night?
No. That's a different system.
Su Campu is offline  
(2) thanks from:
06-12-2011, 19:02   #5
Ahorseofaman
Registered User
 
Ahorseofaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 242
Interesting few days ahead then.
Ahorseofaman is online now  
Advertisement
06-12-2011, 19:21   #6
Caitriona
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 101
Blizzards? Actualy blizzards? Oh no, I'm going to have to get a new F5 key...
Caitriona is offline  
06-12-2011, 19:22   #7
maquiladora
Registered User
 
maquiladora's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 11,121
It looks potentially bad for Scotland and Northern England alright. A lot less for Ireland if the 12Z GFS track verified.

Even though the 12Z track shifted south, these lows usually end up tracking further north than the models forecast. Still though, its an interesting one.
maquiladora is offline  
06-12-2011, 19:28   #8
pistolpetes11
Moderator
 
pistolpetes11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 6,800
Loving the weather at the moment , even without the snow in my back yard the weather of late has been interesting to say the least
pistolpetes11 is offline  
(2) thanks from:
06-12-2011, 19:42   #9
maquiladora
Registered User
 
maquiladora's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 11,121
13th/14th also needs to be watched for a potential severe wind event. The ECM and several of the GFS ensembles show this, some with extreme low pressure.

maquiladora is offline  
Advertisement
06-12-2011, 19:50   #10
Tom Cruises Left Nut
Registered User
 
Tom Cruises Left Nut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 8,681
Has the bottom of the chart been cut in the budget ??

How low pressure are we talking ?
Tom Cruises Left Nut is offline  
(2) thanks from:
06-12-2011, 19:55   #11
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 4,557
Oh crap.

Dont mean to go off topic folks but I am gonna have to watch this like a hawk. On a ferry ferry - the big ones, on Friday morning and back Sunday night, with drive from Holyhead to Liverpool.

Anyone take a guess what all this will mean. Will there be any disruption or is to early to guess ???

Thanks
ScouseMouse is offline  
Thanks from:
06-12-2011, 20:15   #12
Sleety_Rain
Registered User
 
Sleety_Rain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 10,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by superscouse View Post
Oh crap.

Dont mean to go off topic folks but I am gonna have to watch this like a hawk. On a ferry ferry - the big ones, on Friday morning and back Sunday night, with drive from Holyhead to Liverpool.

Anyone take a guess what all this will mean. Will there be any disruption or is to early to guess ???

Thanks
The worst winds to hit the Irish sea are likely to hit Thursday evening, and i would expect Thursday afternoons crossing to perhaps be delayed as winds in the Irish sea are expected to be sustained 50-60mph gusting 70-80mph.
Sleety_Rain is offline  
06-12-2011, 20:19   #13
bryaner
Registered User
 
bryaner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by superscouse View Post
Oh crap.

Dont mean to go off topic folks but I am gonna have to watch this like a hawk. On a ferry ferry - the big ones, on Friday morning and back Sunday night, with drive from Holyhead to Liverpool.

Anyone take a guess what all this will mean. Will there be any disruption or is to early to guess ???

Thanks
Wear a pair of wellies for getting trough the puke..
bryaner is offline  
Thanks from:
06-12-2011, 20:25   #14
howlinwolf
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 332
a lot of lows flyin in towards us in the last few days , met eir are sayin tonights winds could be the strongest but are mentioning it will be very windy later in the week , there prob seeing the severe low on thursday drifting further north by then but either way ulster could get a serious pounding this week.... kinda glad im down here in the balmy southeast
howlinwolf is offline  
06-12-2011, 20:45   #15
smallwonder
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weathercheck View Post
The system is picked up by the ECM as a vicious system with exceptional winds at its left exit perilously close to the north coast.
I may have to cancel tea on the veranda
smallwonder is offline  
Thanks from:
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet