Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

30-11-2011, 09:58   #1
droidus

'Footpaths are for pedestrians' - new DCC billboard

'Cyclists - Footpaths are for pedestrians - obey the rules of the road'

Anyone seen this? Cant find a picture online. There's one on the corner of the N2/Finglas village - just across the road from a notoriously bad stretch of off-road cycle path...
Advertisement
30-11-2011, 09:59   #2
Big Nasty

No but what about it?
30-11-2011, 10:04   #3
Cookie_Monster

Send a message via Skype™ to Cookie_Monster
but won't someone think of the children dogs, buggies and wheelchairs?
30-11-2011, 10:06   #4
HivemindXX

I've seen them for about a month. There's one on Constitution Hill which changes between this and a bunch of other ads and another one on Ballymun Road.

I like them. Footpaths are for pedestrians.
30-11-2011, 10:08   #5
droidus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCMLXXV View Post
No but what about it?
Seems like a strange use of ever-dwindling resources, and sends a mixed message to cyclists who are simultaneously told to use cycle lanes on the footpath.
Advertisement
30-11-2011, 10:12   #6
Cookie_Monster

Send a message via Skype™ to Cookie_Monster
but why target cyclist when motorists are much much much worse offenders when it comes to using (parking) footpaths which is effectively ignored.
30-11-2011, 10:15   #7
tomasrojo

I agree about the mixed message. Footpaths are for pedestrians, except when we have a target to meet for kilometers of cycle track "constructed", in which case we'll hive off half the footpath to make a useless cycle track, thus simultaneously making it illegal for cyclists to use the road there.
Thanks from:
30-11-2011, 10:18   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookie_Monster View Post
but why target cyclist when motorists are much much much worse offenders when it comes to using (parking) footpaths which is effectively ignored.
Not to mention parking in cycling lanes. Ranelagh village is a joke for this. On any given evening there are cars abandoned in the cycling lane just by McSorleys. I wouldn't normally mind but there's plenty of parking in the streets off Ranelagh road and the street is always really busy fo rbikes to be weaving around a parked car and out in front of a bus.
Thanks from:
30-11-2011, 10:20   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by droidus View Post
Seems like a strange use of ever-dwindling resources, and sends a mixed message to cyclists who are simultaneously told to use cycle lanes on the footpath.
Pretty sure they are not referring to cycle lanes.

The clue is in the bit where they specify footpaths.

Are people now so sensitive that the council can't put an ad up for what is a problem without people getting annoyed about it?

They should do something about it. Also, they should go bloody hard on people who cycle without lights at night. The amount of times I have nearly crashed into somebody that appears from nowhere,clad in black and with no lights. They are like rubbish, Kamakazi ninja's.
Advertisement
30-11-2011, 10:23   #10
droidus

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprazant View Post
Pretty sure they are not referring to cycle lanes.

The clue is in the bit where they specify footpaths.
OK sherlock, what do you deduce from this?

Located directly across from the billboard in Finglas.
30-11-2011, 10:26   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by droidus View Post
OK sherlock, what do you deduce from this?

Located directly across from the billboard in Finglas.
Ok, sorry.

It does seem to be the case that people are so touchy that the council now cannot ask for cyclists to stay off the footpaths in case the danger pedestrians.

My mistake for thinking that we cyclists are actually adults.
30-11-2011, 10:28   #12
Bluefoam

I have no issue with the fact that they are promoting the issue of footpaths being for pedestrians, but it does add to the wave of negative publicity aimed at cyclists and only fuels the uneducated view from some motorists that cyclists act as a law unto their own... must wear helmet, may not use the road, must wear special cycling iluminous protection clothing...

I think the money would be better spent making sure the infrastructure was in place to discourage cyclists from using the footpaths. For instance, good safe cycle lanes, or better integration to allow cyclists to use thye roadway more safely. Or by promoting cycling as a safe and positive alternative to driving and the concept of sharing the road...
(2) thanks from:
30-11-2011, 10:32   #13
Zulu

Im guessing the part with the bicycle is the cycle path, and the part with the man is the footpath. Didn't think it was that hard - what with the pictures and all.
30-11-2011, 10:35   #14
droidus

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprazant View Post
Ok, sorry.

It does seem to be the case that people are so touchy that the council now cannot ask for cyclists to stay off the footpaths in case the danger pedestrians.

My mistake for thinking that we cyclists are actually adults.
I agree with the sentiment, but as mentioned above, it gives mixed messages as there are many miles of cycle lanes located (unsafely) on the footpath, it portrays cyclists in a negative light and is a questionable use of resources given the actual danger cyclists pose.

Incidentally, I cycle on the route above everyday. If I ignore the (illegal and unsafe) cycle lane and cycle on the road I get buzzed and abused by bus drivers. I see a lot of cyclists on the path where there is a tight on-road bus/cycle lane (Drumcondra for example). I'd say a significant percentage of them think that's where they're supposed to be as thats where the infrastructure tends to put them.

Last edited by droidus; 30-11-2011 at 10:38.
Thanks from:
30-11-2011, 10:36   #15
droidus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulu View Post
Im guessing the part with the bicycle is the cycle path, and the part with the man is the footpath. Didn't think it was that hard - what with the pictures and all.
Try again.

Where is the cycle lane located? On the footpath or on the road?
(3) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion