Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

29-11-2011, 03:42   #1
Feelgood

Bye bye LAFHA, no more gravy train

This is a bit of a disaster.....

Quote:
Almost all temporary residents in Australia will lose access to the Living Away From Home Allowance (LAHFA) under plans unveiled by the Australian government today
http://www.irishecho.com.au/2011/11/...se-lahfa/14058
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
29-11-2011, 04:34   #2
mandrake04

Yeah and if you want to bring defacto's or dependants they are going to have to pay.

Quote:
User-pays system under new visa pricing model
Tuesday, 29 November 2011

The Gillard Government will implement a new visa fee system to ensure taxpayers are no longer subsidising visa applications, the Minister for Immigration and Citizenship, Chris Bowen MP, announced today.

Mr Bowen said the significant changes included the introduction of a fee for dependants of visa applicants from July 2013.

'If people are bringing family members with them to Australia, the fee will reflect the additional processing and checks for these family members,' Mr Bowen said.

'These changes will bring Australia's visa application charge structures in line with comparable countries. The user-pays approach means that taxpayers will no longer need to subsidise visa applicants.'

Currently, the application fees charged to people wanting to come to Australia do not cover the cost to the Commonwealth of processing the applications. The changes are projected to generate about $613 million over the next four years in revenue.

There will be no change to humanitarian visas as part of the new application fee structure.

Student visa application fees will also decrease by 5 per cent from 1 January 2012, increasing the competitiveness of Australia's international education sector. At the same time, fees for a range of Skills and Business visas will increase by between 5 per cent and 15 per cent.

In addition, some visa programs, such as the overwhelming majority of visitor visas, will be unaffected by the move to user-pays to ensure there is no impact on tourism.

From July 2012 a CPI increase will also apply to the majority of visa application fees and a surcharge will be introduced for optional services such as visa labels.

Other changes to take effect from July 2013 will affect applications for longer-duration visas and for those seeking further visas onshore.

Mr Bowen said to encourage the use of online applications, there would also be an additional charge for people making a paper-based application where there is an 'e' visa option.

As part of the changes, improvements will be made to the Department of Immigration and Citizenship's IT network.

'We need to maintain our IT development with online applications and biometrics collection and checking,' Mr Bowen said.

'These initiatives will put Australian visa services on a sustainable financial footing, while supporting our position globally as a destination of choice to visit, live, work or study.'
(3) thanks from:
29-11-2011, 04:37   #3
hussey

Send a message via MSN to hussey
Had to happen eventually, it was money for nothing

Official page here: http://www.treasurer.gov.au/DisplayD...ear=&DocType=0
Thanks from:
29-11-2011, 05:35   #4
jank
Banned

Lost mine a few months ago so wont affect me personally. Expect an upsurge of PR applications post July 2012 especially pre July 2013 as to avoid the extra fee.

Not sure why they are going on about Australian tax payers "subsidising" visa applications. Most temporary residents are tax payers already and are not entitled to the same services as permanent residents.
Plus its ain't exactly cheap! ENS 856 is at least $3500 and one has to wait a good few months for it to come though! Good thing my application is going in in a few weeks, this fee would have doubled the cost almost!
29-11-2011, 06:06   #5
mandrake04

Quote:
Originally Posted by jank View Post
Expect an upsurge of PR applications post July 2012 especially pre July 2013 as to avoid the extra fee.
I read on another forum recently that because post July 2012 175 & 176 application's are by invitation only, the first round of invites is not until Jan 2013. That's 6 months of not accepting GSM PR applications (ENS 121 & 856 are not affected for EOI). They reckon that the Dept will use that 6 months as a time to clear the backlog of 30,000 outstanding applications.
Advertisement
29-11-2011, 06:38   #6
danotroy

maybe a bit silly but ive just arrived and heard about this before. working in hospitality would i be entitled to LAFHA?
29-11-2011, 06:42   #7
hussey

Quote:
Originally Posted by danotroy View Post
maybe a bit silly but ive just arrived and heard about this before. working in hospitality would i be entitled to LAFHA?
It's an employee fringe benefit, who the onus is on your employer, if WHV more than likely no, although some ppl have got it.
29-11-2011, 06:43   #8
danotroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hussey View Post
It's an employee fringe benefit, who the onus is on your employer, if WHV more than likely no, although some ppl have got it.
so basically the employer pays me the allowance at an extra cost to themselves?
29-11-2011, 06:56   #9
mandrake04

Quote:
Originally Posted by danotroy View Post
so basically the employer pays me the allowance at an extra cost to themselves?
No its an allowance, they reduce your salary by x and increase your your allowance by x.

Salary is taxable.
Allowance is not.
Advertisement
29-11-2011, 08:47   #10
Feelgood

With the high cost of living down here and LAFHA removed, I reckon my take home pay will be on par if not less than back home in Ireland. For some temporary visa holders, particularly those with kids I think it will be hard to justify staying here.

I was holding off on applying for PR because I didn't want to lose LAFHA, though as jank said there will be an upsurge of PR applications from July next year.

Is there much involved to go from a 457 to PR?. People keep mentioning the 457 visa as a back door to PR, how does that work?
29-11-2011, 09:13   #11
mandrake04

Its a back door because some people don't qualify for PR because ie. they can't get a skills assessment (lack of qualifications and experience)

once you are on a 457 for 2 years you can apply without a skills assessment if your employer is willing to sponsor you for ENS. (with a Skills Assess you can apply at anytime as long as employer is willing to sponsor for ENS)

As regards General Skills Migration PR the work on a 457 in Australia gives a few extra brownies for

1 year = 5 points
3 Year = 10 points
5 year = 15 points
8 year = 20 points
Thanks from:
29-11-2011, 10:08   #12
kdevitt

Send a message via Skype™ to kdevitt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feelgood View Post
With the high cost of living down here and LAFHA removed, I reckon my take home pay will be on par if not less than back home in Ireland. For some temporary visa holders, particularly those with kids I think it will be hard to justify staying here.
Ditto - think I'll start the job search back home.
29-11-2011, 11:25   #13
Feelgood

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandrake04 View Post
Its a back door because some people don't qualify for PR because ie. they can't get a skills assessment (lack of qualifications and experience)

once you are on a 457 for 2 years you can apply without a skills assessment if your employer is willing to sponsor you for ENS. (with a Skills Assess you can apply at anytime as long as employer is willing to sponsor for ENS)
Thanks mate, a fountain of Australian kangaroo knowledge as always!
Though if my employer sponsors me for ENS without skills assessment, am I then bound to that employer for the duration of my PR?. Am I also right in saying that if your employer sponsors you, this process then becomes a lot faster?.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdevitt View Post
Ditto - think I'll start the job search back home.
Jaysus, I wouldn't got that far just yet mate!. Fair enough we will be down a few quid for sure, but quality of life comes above cash any day. We will just have to drink a few less schooners and stop buying bananas and we will we right!
29-11-2011, 11:29   #14
kdevitt

Send a message via Skype™ to kdevitt
Quote:
Jaysus, I wouldn't got that far just yet mate!. Fair enough we will be down a few quid for sure, but quality of life comes above cash any day. We will just have to drink a few less schooners and stop buying bananas and we will we right!
Not much point hanging around too long if I'd have more disposable income at home!
29-11-2011, 11:34   #15
hussey

Quote:
Though if my employer sponsors me for ENS without skills assessment, am I then bound to that employer for the duration of my PR?.
Nope, but they could ask you to sign something or a fixed length term
a friend of mine had it written if she left within 6 months she paid the cost back, 12 months 1/2 it back. Not sure if they would ever enforce it (or if it was above board) but she was happy anyway

Quote:
Am I also right in saying that if your employer sponsors you, this process then becomes a lot faster?.
Yes you are put near the top pile (if not the top),
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion