Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

05-11-2011, 10:55   #1
holidaysong

Advise on buying a Saorview box (PVR) in Dublin today...

I have finally given up on the Triax TR112 and it's inability to record anything set more than 24 hours in advance as documented here.

So today, I'm off to buy a replacement box. I've heard good things about the Walker WP12DTB-R. It's €79.95 in Power City (all the way out in Tallaght though). I'm nearly sure this same box was only around €60 in Power City last week though.

Anyone know a city centre seller that does a good Saorview PVR box that is not the Triax? I got that box in DID Electrical on O'Connell Street but unfortunately it's the only one they stock. I'll be using a 500GB external hard drive for my recordings by the way, if that makes a difference.

Any advice greatly appreciated.
Advertisement
05-11-2011, 10:58   #2
lgs 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by holidaysong View Post
I have finally given up on the Triax TR112 and it's inability to record anything set more than 24 hours in advance as documented here.

So today, I'm off to buy a replacement box. I've heard good things about the Walker WP12DTB-R. It's €79.95 in Power City (all the way out in Tallaght though). I'm nearly sure this same box was only around €60 in Power City last week though.

Anyone know a city centre seller that does a good Saorview PVR box that is not the Triax? I got that box in DID Electrical on O'Connell Street but unfortunately it's the only one they stock. I'll be using a 500GB external hard drive for my recordings by the way, if that makes a difference.

Any advice greatly appreciated.
sony svr-freeview plus hd peats
05-11-2011, 11:08   #3
holidaysong

Cheers for the advice but at €299 I'm going to have to rule it out. Having the ability to record one channel and watch another is not a concern, as my TV has an in built MPEG-4 tuner. Also, I should mention a RF loop through feature is a must as I need to feed my aerial signal through the box and then into my TV.
05-11-2011, 13:15   #4
watty

An RF splitter is under €5.

There are NO "real" Saorview PVRs yet. Only the dual tuner boxes are proper PVRs, the others are cheap fudges. The closest you can get (not 100% compatible but close) is a UK Freeview+ HD PVR. There may be real Saorview PVRs in Dec 2011. (Next month as I write).

No proper PVR uses external drives. Any box using purely an external drive is a "budget" compromise, as such a PC or laptop with DVB viewer and MHEG5 plug in option and a Dual tuner USB stick may be a better option if you want to use your own drive so as to have recordings PC accessible.
Thanks from:
06-11-2011, 16:50   #5
Digifriendly

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgs 4 View Post
sony svr-freeview plus hd peats
See my summary of this box for both Freeview and Saorview (posts 8 and 9) - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...p?t=2056437493
Advertisement
06-11-2011, 19:07   #6
recyclebin

Quote:
Originally Posted by watty View Post
There may be real Saorview PVRs in Dec 2011. (Next month as I write).
Any more info on this Watty? Who is likely to be the manufacturer, what specs and cost?
07-11-2011, 19:01   #7
Macy0161

Quote:
Originally Posted by watty View Post
An RF splitter is under €5.

There are NO "real" Saorview PVRs yet. Only the dual tuner boxes are proper PVRs, the others are cheap fudges. The closest you can get (not 100% compatible but close) is a UK Freeview+ HD PVR. There may be real Saorview PVRs in Dec 2011. (Next month as I write).

No proper PVR uses external drives. Any box using purely an external drive is a "budget" compromise, as such a PC or laptop with DVB viewer and MHEG5 plug in option and a Dual tuner USB stick may be a better option if you want to use your own drive so as to have recordings PC accessible.
In fairness watty, the poster said they've mpeg4 tele, in which case a saorview receiver that allows recording will do the job, even if it isn't a true pvr.

Holidaysong - there's the digihome in powercity for €60. I don't know whether there's a software difference between that and the walker, but I think it's the same receiver rebadged.
08-11-2011, 14:21   #8
watty

Many of the single tuner boxes with a USB port for an external HDD are not really proper single tuner pvrs. Some can't use a FS that allows single files of long SD or film length HD. They are often not reliable for recording.

A "real" single tuner PVR is of course fine with a proper Saorview compatible TV. But a cheap box that can record on external HDD isn't always a real PVR.
Thanks from:
08-11-2011, 15:50   #9
gsmith-

I have the BUSH Saorview set to box, I've found it very picky about external USB devices. I suspect there may be a flaw in mine as I've seen others using non-Flash memory based USB devices without trouble on here. Although maybe they're mains powered rather than the two USB powered models I've tried (A Western Digital Passport and a Seagate one too) which just sent the Bush set top box into constant reboots. It works fine with a 16GB flash memory stick but that's rather small (not to mention the shortened lifespan of using flash memory for this sort of thing)

So i'd prefer a model with a built in traditional HDD drive as well. Plus being internal would mean it won't be as likely to be tampered with by the kids.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion