Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

25-11-2014, 12:37   #286
Zzippy

Mod: Rugby, ZTest
What happens if I take a bike from one docking station, but when I get to my destination there are no empty docks for my bike? Am I supposed to circle endlessly, looking for a space?
Advertisement
25-11-2014, 12:39   #287

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zzippy View Post
What happens if I take a bike from one docking station, but when I get to my destination there are no empty docks for my bike? Am I supposed to circle endlessly, looking for a space?
Yep, or check the app (not yet released) or website for spaces.
25-11-2014, 12:54   #288
irisheddie85

Quote:
That is the argument for why they are all so close together. If every one tries to use the same stand there will be another stand within easy walking distance to put the bike back.
25-11-2014, 13:09   #289
Mrs OBumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by J o e View Post
Yep, or check the app (not yet released) or website for spaces.
The display on the stand tells you which are the nearest stands, and how many free spaces they have. So you should be able to make an accurate assessment of where to try.
Thanks from:
25-11-2014, 13:13   #290
snubbleste
Banned

Quote:
That's a motorist mindset right there!
Thanks from:
Advertisement
25-11-2014, 13:17   #291

According to ARN, the number of stands and their proximity to each other are important factors in the viability of shared bike schemes. One of the reasons SmartBike failed in Washington DC was too few stations: http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/b...good-riddance/

Availability of parking spaces also depends on turnover. As I was leaving yesterday two cyclists arrived from Fairgreen, but the station at the bottom of the Square was full.
25-11-2014, 13:21   #292
boardzz

The App is now available on iOS "bikeshare.ie"
25-11-2014, 13:21   #293
Poxyshamrock

In Dublin, you get an extra few minutes free if the bike station you return to is not free. Is this the case in Galway?
Thanks from:
25-11-2014, 13:26   #294
spoonface

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poxyshamrock View Post
In Dublin, you get an extra few minutes free if the bike station you return to is not free. Is this the case in Galway?
Is that really true? I mean when I bring it back and it's full, I just keep on cycling to the next station, so they have no record of me having met with a full station. Is there a way to stop and register that it's full?
Advertisement
25-11-2014, 14:39   #295
thesandeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by irisheddie85 View Post
If every one tries to use the same stand there will be another stand within easy walking distance to put the bike back.
Do you not mean cycling distance?
25-11-2014, 14:43   #296
irisheddie85

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesandeman View Post
Do you not mean cycling distance?
No walking distance so you aren't too far from your original destination when you Park in a different spot. The major complaint is how close they all are together and this is the only answer i could find
25-11-2014, 14:49   #297
galwaycyclist
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by irisheddie85 View Post
No walking distance so you aren't too far from your original destination when you Park in a different spot. The major complaint is how close they all are together and this is the only answer i could find
This is the idea. If your first station of choice is full you can go to one nearby, put back the bike, and still be within walking distance of the original station.

A question I would have is if there is anything stopping you from swopping bikes?

So if I have already had one for 25 mins I when arrive at a full station. Do I have to wait for a slot to come free?

Or can I take a new bike and put the old one in that slot and get another free half hour?
25-11-2014, 14:59   #298

in dublin they have a van assigned to move bikes between stations from an overcrowded station to an empty station, anyone know if it's the same in galway or is it too small scale?
Thanks from:
25-11-2014, 15:00   #299
irisheddie85

Quote:
Originally Posted by galwaycyclist View Post
This is the idea. If your first station of choice is full you can go to one nearby, put back the bike, and still be within walking distance of the original station.

A question I would have is if there is anything stopping you from swopping bikes?

So if I have already had one for 25 mins I when arrive at a full station. Do I have to wait for a slot to come free?

Or can I take a new bike and put the old one in that slot and get another free half hour?
I would assume only 1 rental is allowed at a time so you have to return the first bike before getting a second.

But i haven't seen anywhere there is a minimum amount of time between 2 rentals. Maybe it's buried in the terms and conditions but I'm not going to that much effort.
25-11-2014, 15:48   #300
Mrs OBumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumbs868 View Post
in dublin they have a van assigned to move bikes between stations from an overcrowded station to an empty station, anyone know if it's the same in galway or is it too small scale?
Well there's at least one lad employed to work on them 40 hours/week - I'd guess they will have a relocation approach. Dunno if it involves a van.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion