Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

01-11-2011, 08:59   #1
fastford

Sticking stainless steel to glass?

Hi,
Bit of a problem-my kitchen table has a glass top with stainless steel legs coming from it. A few nights ago one leg fell off.
I asked in my local hardware store what would be most suitable for sticking it back on and they told me TEC7.
This worked for about a day and it fell off again when the table was holding up Sunday dinner! I tried again with it and it just isn't strong enough.
Anyone with any idea what I cn use to stick these two polished surfaces (glass and stainless steel) together?
Advertisement
01-11-2011, 09:50   #2
Carlow52
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastford View Post
Hi,
Bit of a problem-my kitchen table has a glass top with stainless steel legs coming from it. A few nights ago one leg fell off.
I asked in my local hardware store what would be most suitable for sticking it back on and they told me TEC7.
This worked for about a day and it fell off again when the table was holding up Sunday dinner! I tried again with it and it just isn't strong enough.
Anyone with any idea what I cn use to stick these two polished surfaces (glass and stainless steel) together?
Clean off all traces of the TEC7, u may need to use meths or some similar solvent.
Then use a clear epoxy glue, u can get it in woodies or b and q or a motor factors

I had the same issue and thats how I fixed it

use a one part clear, not a 2 part as they are not clear
01-11-2011, 15:33   #3
deandean

There's a special adhesive you can buy in auto shops for bonding the rear view mirror to a car windscreen. Should to the job.

How'd you break the leg off?
Thanks from:
01-11-2011, 18:48   #4
fastford

Thanks for the info lads.
Don't know what happened the leg-there was a crash in the middle of the night and when we investigated the table was lobsided with the leg lying under it.Bit of a mystery!
02-11-2011, 00:04   #5
2 stroke

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastford View Post
Looks like the table manufacturer hasn't figured it out yet.
If the legs have no connection to each other, I don't think there is anything that would make that table safe.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion