Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Risk of strong winds and heavy rain - Sunday the 23rd to Tuesday the 25th of October

• 20-10-2011 8:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

While not as exciting as a potential snowstorm, it would appear having read MT's forecast that there is a risk of heavy rain and strong winds affecting Munster and Connaught in particular from sunday the 23rd on.

This is all subject to change in terms of rainfall amounts, strength of winds and areas affected but it could lead to potential flooding and structural damage.

This link has close to 50mm of rain in cork over a three day period though doesn't seem to have much in way of wind strength.

http://www.yr.no/place/Ireland/Munster/Cork/long.html

Mods please feel to amend topic thread as time goes by!.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭pauldry

hurray a new thread!

Thats a lot of rain. We had 42mm in Sligo last monday with lightning and thunder.

Roads between Sligo and leitrim were impassable in parts.

Look at bbc forecast. They seem to concentrate the heaviest rain over the West (again!!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

pauldry wrote: »
    hurray a new thread!

Thats a lot of rain. We had 42mm in Sligo last monday with lightning and thunder.

Roads between Sligo and leitrim were impassable in parts.

Look at bbc forecast. They seem to concentrate the heaviest rain over the West (again!!!)

yeah that was intense rain over a day i believe so maybe over 3 days the impact won't be as bad if it does materialise as currently predicted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Did anyone mention Snow yet ????

• Registered Users Posts: 14,237 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

While not as exciting as a potential snowstorm, it would appear having read MT's forecast that there is a risk of heavy rain and strong winds affecting Munster and Connaught in particular from sunday the 23rd on.

This is all subject to change in terms of rainfall amounts, strength of winds and areas affected but it could lead to potential flooding and structural damage.

This link has close to 50mm of rain in cork over a three day period though doesn't seem to have much in way of wind strength.

http://www.yr.no/place/Ireland/Munster/Cork/long.html

Mods please feel to amend topic thread as time goes by!.

I'm proud of you Munsterlegend:D Indeed the forecast does look ominous for Munster especially this weekend!! I do love a good day with wind and rain (once I'm watching it from my living room of course:P!)

leahyl wrote: »
    I'm proud of you Munsterlegend:D Indeed the forecast does look ominous for Munster especially this weekend!! I do love a good day with wind and rain (once I'm watching it from my living room of course:P!)

yeah while i do like a snow watch..nothing like sitting inside, muting the tv and hearing the wind and rain outside from the comfort of a warm living room! only problem is sweeping the leaves away..

• Advertisement

yeah while i do like a snow watch..nothing like sitting inside, muting the tv and hearing the wind and rain outside from the comfort of a warm living room! only problem is sweeping the leaves away..

Ahhhh, snow! :cool:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

This has been upgraded numerous times during the week as the low has been deepening more and more. The main problem with the system is the stubborn air mass to the east of us, stopping this deep low dead in its tracks, allowing for an almighty dumping of rain NATIONWIDE, with west midlands and the south effected, the south is probably more at risk with the changing forecast.

Even if the low gets pushed further south the south will still get a dumping.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,237 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

OOOh this sounds epic!:D Cork always wins when it comes to rain!:P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

leahyl wrote: »
    OOOh this sounds epic!:D Cork always wins when it comes to rain!:P

Sorry dear.... i think that MAY be Kerry .... ;):p;)

climate_rainfallmap.gif

Met Éireann : Sunday should start mainly dry and bright, with mist and fog clearing, but at this stage, it looks as if windy and very wet weather is set to move up from the south as the day progresses, accompanied by strong to gale force south to southeast winds. Temperatures 13 to 16 C., but feeling cooler in the rain and the wind. The rain and the winds may well ease overnight, allowing some misty, foggy weather to form. Monday : Further spells of heavy rain are indicated to develop countrywide during Monday and this wet weather could well linger overnight and well into Tuesday. Some flooding is possible through this period.

• Advertisement

Iancar29 wrote: »
    [/B]

Sorry dear.... i think that MAY be Kerry .... ;):p;)

climate_rainfallmap.gif

Problem is the rains flows down the cork/kerry mountains into cork rivers such as the Lee causing flooding..

Problem is the rains flows down the cork/kerry mountains into cork rivers such as the Lee causing flooding..

NOW that i do agree on.... * shakes fist at Kerry mountains *

Just noticed that my ( not so great ) video of the squally rain the other day is on the entertainment most viewed list today? haha ... " woop woop !" :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Aiel

Will most of this heavy stuff will be over the south yes?Ive a weekend of hiking planned in the Mayo region and while i expect the weather to not be great this time of year for hikes i hope its not a total washout.Ill bring my kayak and wetsuit just in case:).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭hawkwing

General : Mild over the Weekend and into next week, but often windy, so no snow and very little if any frost. But some very wet weather is expected at times and the risk of some flooding will increase for later in the period. Friday night : Mild and quite breezy overnight with lows of 9 to 11 C

From Met.ie--is snow now the norm--not the usual wording there:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

In Dublin its grey and cold. Its trying to rain but I think its too cold. We thought it looked a bit like snow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

hawkwing wrote: »
    General : Mild over the Weekend and into next week, but often windy, so no snow and very little if any frost. But some very wet weather is expected at times and the risk of some flooding will increase for later in the period. Friday night : Mild and quite breezy overnight with lows of 9 to 11 C

Yes, found that a bit bizarre - maybe Evelyn wrote this up,some kind of coded slap down to the cold rampers here!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Not

hawkwing wrote: »

Probably getting a bit frustrated dealing with 'is it going to snow, is it going to snow.. !??' queries generated from the snow hysteria created by the likes of James Madden and the tabloids.

Will it snow yet ? Will it snow yet ? Will it snow ye...ARGGGGH STOP !!!!

This thread seems to be catching snowthreaditis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I'm not expecting snow, its doesn't feel right. But it superficially looks vaguely like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,124 ✭✭✭✭km79

Any updates on these systems ? Really hope they miss us :(

This low pressure system will produce snow, I feel it in my bones already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,267 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

There's still some disagreement in the models, with the North American based models showing a slower and deeper low taking most of Monday to pass by southwest Ireland, while the European models have this feature weaker and moving past Ireland early to mid-day Monday. So as to a definitive forecast for wind and rain, this may have to wait for model consensus on Friday from perhaps the 00z Friday runs. Would say at this point that heavy rain on Sunday into part of Monday and some period of stronger winds with that, and the potential for very strong winds developing Monday. The heavier rainfall seems more reliable at present than the stronger winds. Could almost count on 20-30 mms of rain in Munster and Connacht with potential for 30-50 mms, in the period Sunday to Tuesday. More of a risk than a forecast for strong winds gusting to 60 mph from southeast around Cork and Kerry, wait and see situation on that part.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

More of a risk than a forecast for strong winds gusting to 60 mph from southeast around Cork and Kerry, wait and see situation on that part.

Any idea about the tides for this period MT ??
    Worth noting from my backyard point of view that an Easterly gale is lethal for causing floods as it doesn't leave the tide out

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭pauldry

think the 50mm of rain is very high percentage chance for parts of South and West like MT said, maybe even more. Dont know about the wind would hazard a guess that this will keep out west and miss us with the worst of its winds.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭bb1234567

what will saturday be like in dublin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Aiel wrote: »
    my kayak and wetsuit just in case:).

And your GPS phone so R117 can find you.

bb1234567 wrote: »
    what will saturday be like in dublin?

Most likely like this....... ALL DAY LONG.....:rolleyes:

why would anyone want snow at this stage lets save it up for the big event in december or january. the earliest i'd want it is end of november, any earlier and it wont be cold enough for it to snow loads, stick to ground and build up, and if it does snow that early the sun will be too strong and melt it turning it into horrible disgusting slush which is no fun for anyone, snow and mildlovers alike. lets just hope for lots of rain wind and storms and hope for snow around mid to end of november, if we get any easterlies or northeasterlies in mid october and we get some snow but the sun is still strong enough to melt and well be wishing for it two months later when the same easterly would give feet of snow:Dlets not jinx this and just hope for the snow end ofnext month :D:D:D cant wait!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

around Cork and Kerry, wait and see situation on that part.

Cork at the ready and standing by.

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Most likely like this....... ALL DAY LONG.....:rolleyes:

thanks thats good i love grey and wet and cold and miserable, makes me so happy and cosy, while it depresses other people it makes me happy:D i only like mild/hot and sunny weather in june,july and august and start of september- mild weather, with sun and no clouds makes me super depressed when its not in the summer months especially winter and autumn!!:D i hate horrible mild weather and when its windy but no cloud or rain, im so weird cloud and rain depresses most people im pretty sure:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

yeah while i do like a snow watch..nothing like sitting inside, muting the tv and hearing the wind and rain outside from the comfort of a warm living room! ..

oh yeah.... having to go to work is a definite downer though, don't enjoy the feeling half as much down in the town as in my cosy cottage up on the hill.

I beat yeez all, I have an..... AAAAWWWNING. Yeay baby, an awning with a corrugated steel roof (brand new so no fear it'll fly away), and Mr Mountainsandh and me take turns going to spend quiet child free time under the awning when the rain's lashing, it's so gorgeous. We even have one of them little pot belly outdoor fireplaces under there. ZZEE rainy day BIZNIZZ. Pity I don't smoke anymore in them situations I'd love a good smoke.

All in good time we'll enjoy the snow but for now : bring on the heavy rain I say !

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement