Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

20-10-2011, 09:39   #1
munsterlegend

Risk of strong winds and heavy rain - Sunday the 23rd to Tuesday the 25th of October

While not as exciting as a potential snowstorm, it would appear having read MT's forecast that there is a risk of heavy rain and strong winds affecting Munster and Connaught in particular from sunday the 23rd on.

This is all subject to change in terms of rainfall amounts, strength of winds and areas affected but it could lead to potential flooding and structural damage.

This link has close to 50mm of rain in cork over a three day period though doesn't seem to have much in way of wind strength.

http://www.yr.no/place/Ireland/Munster/Cork/long.html

Mods please feel to amend topic thread as time goes by!.

Last edited by munsterlegend; 20-10-2011 at 09:41.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
20-10-2011, 09:55   #2
pauldry

hurray a new thread!

Thats a lot of rain. We had 42mm in Sligo last monday with lightning and thunder.

Roads between Sligo and leitrim were impassable in parts.

Look at bbc forecast. They seem to concentrate the heaviest rain over the West (again!!!)
20-10-2011, 10:23   #3
munsterlegend

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldry View Post
hurray a new thread!

Thats a lot of rain. We had 42mm in Sligo last monday with lightning and thunder.

Roads between Sligo and leitrim were impassable in parts.

Look at bbc forecast. They seem to concentrate the heaviest rain over the West (again!!!)
yeah that was intense rain over a day i believe so maybe over 3 days the impact won't be as bad if it does materialise as currently predicted.
20-10-2011, 10:31   #4
Sponge Bob
Banned

Did anyone mention Snow yet ????
20-10-2011, 10:36   #5
leahyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by munsterlegend View Post
While not as exciting as a potential snowstorm, it would appear having read MT's forecast that there is a risk of heavy rain and strong winds affecting Munster and Connaught in particular from sunday the 23rd on.

This is all subject to change in terms of rainfall amounts, strength of winds and areas affected but it could lead to potential flooding and structural damage.

This link has close to 50mm of rain in cork over a three day period though doesn't seem to have much in way of wind strength.

http://www.yr.no/place/Ireland/Munster/Cork/long.html

Mods please feel to amend topic thread as time goes by!.
I'm proud of you Munsterlegend Indeed the forecast does look ominous for Munster especially this weekend!! I do love a good day with wind and rain (once I'm watching it from my living room of course!)
Thanks from:
Advertisement
20-10-2011, 10:58   #6
munsterlegend

Quote:
Originally Posted by leahyl View Post
I'm proud of you Munsterlegend Indeed the forecast does look ominous for Munster especially this weekend!! I do love a good day with wind and rain (once I'm watching it from my living room of course!)
yeah while i do like a snow watch..nothing like sitting inside, muting the tv and hearing the wind and rain outside from the comfort of a warm living room! only problem is sweeping the leaves away..
20-10-2011, 11:03   #7
Sponge Bob
Banned

Quote:
yeah while i do like a snow watch..nothing like sitting inside, muting the tv and hearing the wind and rain outside from the comfort of a warm living room! only problem is sweeping the leaves away..
Ahhhh, snow!
20-10-2011, 11:17   #8
cherryghost
Frequent Support Feeder

Send a message via MSN to cherryghost Send a message via Yahoo to cherryghost Send a message via Skype™ to cherryghost
This has been upgraded numerous times during the week as the low has been deepening more and more. The main problem with the system is the stubborn air mass to the east of us, stopping this deep low dead in its tracks, allowing for an almighty dumping of rain NATIONWIDE, with west midlands and the south effected, the south is probably more at risk with the changing forecast.

Even if the low gets pushed further south the south will still get a dumping.
(2) thanks from:
20-10-2011, 11:48   #9
leahyl

OOOh this sounds epic! Cork always wins when it comes to rain!
Advertisement
20-10-2011, 12:03   #10
Iancar29

Quote:
Originally Posted by leahyl View Post
OOOh this sounds epic! Cork always wins when it comes to rain!

Sorry dear.... i think that MAY be Kerry ....

20-10-2011, 12:05   #11
Iancar29

Met Éireann : Sunday should start mainly dry and bright, with mist and fog clearing, but at this stage, it looks as if windy and very wet weather is set to move up from the south as the day progresses, accompanied by strong to gale force south to southeast winds. Temperatures 13 to 16 C., but feeling cooler in the rain and the wind. The rain and the winds may well ease overnight, allowing some misty, foggy weather to form. Monday : Further spells of heavy rain are indicated to develop countrywide during Monday and this wet weather could well linger overnight and well into Tuesday. Some flooding is possible through this period.
20-10-2011, 12:06   #12
munsterlegend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iancar29 View Post
[/B]

Sorry dear.... i think that MAY be Kerry ....

Problem is the rains flows down the cork/kerry mountains into cork rivers such as the Lee causing flooding..
20-10-2011, 12:16   #13
Iancar29

Quote:
Problem is the rains flows down the cork/kerry mountains into cork rivers such as the Lee causing flooding..
NOW that i do agree on.... * shakes fist at Kerry mountains *

Just noticed that my ( not so great ) video of the squally rain the other day is on the entertainment most viewed list today? haha ... " woop woop !"
20-10-2011, 13:27   #14
Aiel

Hike.

Will most of this heavy stuff will be over the south yes?Ive a weekend of hiking planned in the Mayo region and while i expect the weather to not be great this time of year for hikes i hope its not a total washout.Ill bring my kayak and wetsuit just in case.
20-10-2011, 14:47   #15
hawkwing

General : Mild over the Weekend and into next week, but often windy, so no snow and very little if any frost. But some very wet weather is expected at times and the risk of some flooding will increase for later in the period. Friday night : Mild and quite breezy overnight with lows of 9 to 11 C

From Met.ie--is snow now the norm--not the usual wording there
Thread Closed