17-01-2012, 14:43   #31
Malari

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimihops View Post
anyone get around to trying the latitude wine bar yet? is it nice?
I've been in a couple of times, just for a glass of wine around 7pm or so - haven't eaten there yet. It was very quiet at that time, and the atmosphere seems totally different to Cruibin. The wine menu is extensive! And only written up on a blackboard on the left as you go in, so it's not the easiest to read, especially if someone is sitting under it

I just asked at the bar for a recommendation, and they were helpful. It's somewhere I'd try again, maybe later in the evening so there's a bit of a buzz going.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
03-02-2012, 20:28   #32
opus

Good review from Tom Doorley (whatever you might think of him )

Quote:
I would urge the people of Cork to take L'Atitude to their hearts.

And I am doing so for an utterly selfish reason.

I want it to thrive so it's still there when I want it. And I could
imagine myself wanting it rather a lot. The bill was a few euro shy of
70 euros and we both ate and drank very, very well. Which is what this
place is about.
You can read the whole thing here but you need to set up a fake account.
24-04-2012, 12:08   #33
evilivor

Worth a bump, good quality new wine bar opened up this month. Arthur Mayne on Pembroke Street, formerly a chemist, now an old style bar with new-fangled wine dispenser stuff, which I have yet to try out, - I went old school, by the bottle. I didn't eat there but food looked good.

Online blog review from someone here. It's going to give the Boqueria and L’Atitude 51 a serious run for their money as it was very busy the night I was there.
24-04-2012, 14:13   #34
draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.
24-04-2012, 14:27   #35
evilivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by draiochtanois View Post
They. Only. Serve. Wine.

…and bottled beers, coffee, tea. I think that makes it a wine bar. In the same sense as L’Atitude 51 where they also, only serve beers, coffee, tea. Okay?

As for Arthur Mayne's, I suspect the owner is not highly qualified - not that it matters one jot - he is not working there…
Advertisement
24-04-2012, 14:31   #36
draiochtanois

24-04-2012, 14:37   #37
evilivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by draiochtanois View Post
The emphasis is as outlined his interview in the Irish Examiner: "the main business will be bar sales, coffees, food to go with wine (Benny McCabe dislikes the word tapas) and there’s a state-of-the-art wine Italian Enomatic dispenser (the second such in Ireland, and seen in Gordon’s 1890 wine bar in London) for special bottles, operated by a credit card mechanism, that will give tastes, small or large glasses, of selected wines, all of them kept absolutely fresh by the use of nitrogen gas — all very medicinal, surely."

Couldn't be clearer - it's a wine bar.
24-04-2012, 15:11   #38
draiochtanois

24-04-2012, 17:52   #39
curly from cork

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilivor View Post
Worth a bump, good quality new wine bar opened up this month. Arthur Mayne on Pembroke Street, formerly a chemist, now an old style bar with new-fangled wine dispenser stuff, which I have yet to try out, - I went old school, by the bottle. I didn't eat there but food looked good.

Online blog review from someone here. It's going to give the Boqueria and L’Atitude 51 a serious run for their money as it was very busy the night I was there.
All makes sense now a friend of mine tagged himself in arthur maynes pharmacy and wine bar. I thought it was a complete P take.. as in he was looking for a cure
Good luck to them.
Advertisement
25-04-2012, 12:22   #40
Chad_Fantastics

Went to one of L'attitudes speaker nights a few weeks back, interesting way to spend a evening, tasted half a dozen wines, tapas with each one for 15 quid, could have upgraded to a 3 course meal for 15 more.

Like the small measure for 2.50, lets you work through the vast menu is a resonable amount of time and not a big hit if you don't like something.

Went to Meades a lot back in the day, nice spot but room temperature was waaaaay too cold for the reds.

Stuck the head into Mayne's when walking for the bus last week, not a beer bar vibe so I'd come down it being a actual wine bar. Good looking place but maybe too put together? Anyhoo, it's number 1 on the list for the next visit into town.
25-04-2012, 18:01   #41
Big Tone

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgerbaiter View Post
Anyone know of a good wine bar in cork city?
There's a new one where the Lobby used to be, across from City Hall.
25-04-2012, 20:27   #42
eurokev

32 marlboro street is a great spot. Its kind of half way in between a wine bar and a normal bar. Really chic and kind burlesque interior. Some great wines and beers though.

Had a bottle of Niki Tika the a couple of weekends ago.

Yum
26-04-2012, 10:33   #43
mimihops

Popped into Arthur Maynes last night and I really liked it. Love the idea of the wine dispenser & that you can try a few different wines, the whole place is something a bit fresh and different anyway for Cork. Will be back at the weekend I reckon and will try some food next time!
07-05-2012, 08:58   #44
Chad_Fantastics

In AM's last night, choc full and maybe suffering from being 'the' spot of the minute for the Sunday indo wannabe's, really didn't like the atmosphere at all.

But it's good to see a place a success I suppose, had popped into marlborough 32, 30th on so didn't stay but looked a nice spot.
07-05-2012, 19:22   #45
Buceph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad_Fantastics View Post
In AM's last night, choc full and maybe suffering from being 'the' spot of the minute for the Sunday indo wannabe's, really didn't like the atmosphere at all.
I went in on Friday night around 11.30, the place was packed. We're primarily beer drinkers (Franciscan/Bierhaus/Abbot's type beer) but we had previously had a good night in L'Attitude so we said we'd give it a try. Walked in and walked straight out again, seems far too much like a hotspot of the month. I hope it continues for the owners, it's just my idea of having a good glass of wine isn't standing about and getting jostled. L'Attitude is far more chilled and I like studying the board for the next glass you're going to have.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion