Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

20-09-2011, 11:36   #1
gears

Septic tank registration

As the "proud" owner of a septic tank I'm wondering about the purpose of the registration scheme. Are all tanks going to be inspected and what happens if your system doesn't comply with current regs, which I imagine many wouldnt, will you be forced to get a new one. I'm begining to get a bit worried about this as if my system doesnt comply I can't see an easy way of putting in a new one with out it being extremly costly due to the layout of my site. I do know it's not law yet but will be soon so is any one else concerned about this or have more information on this registration.
Advertisement
20-09-2011, 12:33   #2
Supertech

All very vague at the moment gears. What is certain is that there is some form of inspection coming down the line. Saw a newspaper report on Saturday which suggested a nominal initial charge followed (at some stage) by an official inspection.The idea being that the nominal charge would fund initial inspection by council staff. According to all reports the onus wil be on tank owners to upgrade systems to current standards. Its all based on an ECJ ruling imposing fines against Ireland for water pollution which dates back 30 years.
20-09-2011, 13:02   #3
gears

We can probably assume that if the owner doesn't upgrade their system, whether they can afford it or not, they can face fines or prosssecution of some kind. Which in this climate seems very unfair. I know for myself that to change what I have, as I imagine it wouldn't meet current regs, would be very expensive if not impossible as I have a sloping site with the system at the back of the house at the bottom of the slope. Also there would literally be no room to put a new one in at the back and you can't really put one at the front as any out flow would flow down hill towards the house and with developments or roads on all 4 sides it couldn't be discharged elsewhere. I really don't know.
20-09-2011, 15:35   #4
mickdw

I feel if peoples tanks are constructed to the regs in force at the time of construction, the governement will find it impossible to insist on an improvement scheme without full grant aid.
20-09-2011, 16:05   #5
gears

I like that kind of thinking and it makes sense considering the amount of insulation upgrade going on. But with the purse strings being so tight would they really be losened for something like this
Advertisement
20-09-2011, 16:23   #6
martinn123

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickdw View Post
I feel if peoples tanks are constructed to the regs in force at the time of construction, the governement will find it impossible to insist on an improvement scheme without full grant aid.
I think you are missing the point, slightly. As I understand it the inspections are to insure Tanks are working correctly, and not causing pollution, to the land/ water etc.

So irrespective of the Reg's when the Tank was installed, if its not working correctly it will have to be upgraded.

Grant Aid, in my view is unlikely, as its up to the home-owner, not to cause pollution. I agree with the economy in meltdown its not a good time for many but these Inspections are being driven from Europe, as part of an attempt to clean up the countryside, and water sources.
20-09-2011, 17:37   #7
mickdw

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinn123 View Post
I think you are missing the point, slightly. As I understand it the inspections are to insure Tanks are working correctly, and not causing pollution, to the land/ water etc.

So irrespective of the Reg's when the Tank was installed, if its not working correctly it will have to be upgraded.

Grant Aid, in my view is unlikely, as its up to the home-owner, not to cause pollution. I agree with the economy in meltdown its not a good time for many but these Inspections are being driven from Europe, as part of an attempt to clean up the countryside, and water sources.
I agree 100% in that if the thing is not working as its supposed too, then the homeowner is liable.
My point was that if someone installed a septic tank in the mid 90s for example and did so in accordance with Planning and in accordance with Sr6:1991, IMO there is no way they could be required to ungrade now if that tank and percolation is performing to that standard even if the powers that be now regard it to be unsuitable in that location and would rather a higher standard of treatment system in place due to groudwater issues or whatever. Grant aid would have to be provided in cases like this.
I dont doubt that the majority will be found to be of substandard design/installation and will be the direct responsibility of the home owner to put right.
20-09-2011, 18:00   #8
John mac

I think buckets will have to be used, bring them into local town and throw down sewer.
20-09-2011, 18:59   #9
Poor Uncle Tom

There's nothing solid yet....

Lets wait and see what they attempt to bring in before we speculate.
Advertisement
20-09-2011, 21:01   #10
John mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poor Uncle Tom View Post
There's nothing solid yet....

the top layer of my septic tank
but yea no point in speculation ..
24-09-2011, 12:16   #11
mirror mirror
Closed Account

were all septic tanks not "registered" when the owner was granted . planning permission for house and septic tank ? F??k you phil hogan .Inspect the faulty water mains and get those repaired/replaced ,get the rural roads up to standard never mind screwing some of the population AGAIN.The over the top planning application fees were enough .I paid 2500 pounds to the council for my planning fees,which it says was going to street lighting ,footpaths ,road maintenance even though I live 5 mile from nearest village. We paid 4 thousand pounds for septic tank +installation+percolation as set out by council.We got our own well bored at a cost of 2000 pounds because the water supply was/is pathetic..rant over thank you..oooh i forgot f///k u phil hogan
24-09-2011, 16:25   #12
muffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirror mirror View Post
were all septic tanks not "registered" when the owner was granted . planning permission for house and septic tank ? F??k you phil hogan .Inspect the faulty water mains and get those repaired/replaced ,get the rural roads up to standard never mind screwing some of the population AGAIN.The over the top planning application fees were enough .I paid 2500 pounds to the council for my planning fees,which it says was going to street lighting ,footpaths ,road maintenance even though I live 5 mile from nearest village. We paid 4 thousand pounds for septic tank +installation+percolation as set out by council.We got our own well bored at a cost of 2000 pounds because the water supply was/is pathetic..rant over thank you..oooh i forgot f///k u phil hogan
The ranting & raving forum is that way ------->

Please stick to the topic.
24-09-2011, 16:34   #13
mirror mirror
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffler View Post
The ranting & raving forum is that way ------->

Please stick to the topic.
Topic as in "septic tanks",,,,,,,,,some smell of sh??e here boy
24-09-2011, 16:43   #14
Poor Uncle Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirror mirror View Post
Topic as in "septic tanks",,,,,,,,,some smell of sh??e here boy
Infraction given.
(2) thanks from:
24-09-2011, 17:14   #15
bbam
Banned

Does anyone know exactly ow this inspection is done...
What is the method used to decide if the tank/percolation is working or not ??

So if my tank is working (not overfilling), and there is no sign of the discharge anywhere what further tests can be done...
I'm thinking of the occupiers of our last house.. The garden is 3/4 acre and they have no idea at all where the percolation area is, how would a tester know what /where to look for ?? the site isn't bordered by a stream/drain so there is nowhere to check for dischasrge into the water table??

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion