Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

14-09-2011, 14:31   #1
dryan

someones cutting trees on my land

i have a piece of land thats away from the homeplace.
Its stocked and stock is checked every second day.

A railway line (that is no longer in use) runs at the bottom of the land and i have a small parcel of land (~1 ha) on the other side of the railway line that i dont use. Its very remote and difficult to access..
its declared as a wildlife habitat in my reps plan.
Eventually i plan on planting the same piece of ground.

I walk this particular bit of land a few times a year just to check it.
Today i checked it and i see that someone has knocked a couple of large (35 - 40 year old) ash trees in the last few days. Good job they were not there at the time as it would have got a bit messy - i was that vexed!
Anyway, what are my options here?

Put up a no trespassing sign?
Contact the guards?

cheers.
Advertisement
14-09-2011, 14:35   #2
vanderbadger

Quote:
Originally Posted by dryan View Post

A railway line (that is no longer in use) runs at the bottom of the land and i have a small parcel of land (~1 ha) on the other side of the railway line that i dont use. Its very remote and difficult to access..

Today i checked it and i see that someone has knocked a couple of large (35 - 40 year old) ash trees in the last few days. Good job they were not there at the time as it would have got a bit messy - i was that vexed!

Contact the guards?

cheers.
ya deffo get the guards, keep an eye on done deal for lads selling ash in your area
(3) thanks from:
14-09-2011, 14:44   #3
Username John

Quote:

Contact the guards?

cheers.
If it was me I would contact the guards. I wouldnt too confident as to what they'll do, or can do. But you should report it.

Can you get out the chainsaw and get that ash out of there before someone comes back to take it?

Put up no trespassing signs, but not sure what good it is. But at least they're up, and people know someone is watching the place.

I'd also make enquiries as to whether any of your neighbours saw anything or anyone in there (altho not sure how successful that would be, given you say its fairly remote)

I guess try to walk it more, or ask someone you know to wander down around there every now and then...

We owe a bit of woodland / scrub, which would have bushes and bits of trees on it. Last year, I spoke to 3 people who were basically helping themselves...
14-09-2011, 14:44   #4
the_syco

Quote:
Sounds like someone chancing their arm, tbh, and cutting down some nice looking trees in a remote area.

When is the last time you walking along there? I'm thinking they may be chopping a tree down every so often, after not getting any hassle after the first one.

As well as the Gardai, put some "no trespassing" signs up. Stick one on an ash tree to get the point across?
14-09-2011, 14:45   #5
pakalasa
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanderbadger View Post
ya deffo get the guards, keep an eye on done deal for lads selling ash in your area
Also contact local hurley makers. They may approach them too. Ash butts are worth a lot more than the firewood in them.
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
14-09-2011, 14:46   #6
Tora Bora
Closed Account

Quote:

Contact the guards?

cheers.
I'd say that was Eleganza, from the other chainsaw thread, just proving to all us doubters, that you can cut through half a forest in an afternoon, with one of those Lidl chainsaws
(4) thanks from:
14-09-2011, 14:51   #7
MOSSAD
Closed Account

Ring the forest service in wexford and find out who the forestry inspector for your area is. Call him/her and tell them what's going on. You need a felling licence to cut your trees and some inspectors will drag you to hell if you cut without one.
But at any rate inform them of what is going on.
14-09-2011, 14:52   #8
howamidifferent

Lay down a few of them wolf/bear traps with the giant jaws and wait a few weeks before going back...
(4) thanks from:
14-09-2011, 14:55   #9
Atilathehun
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_syco View Post
Sounds like someone chancing their arm, tbh, and cutting down some nice looking trees in a remote area.

When is the last time you walking along there? I'm thinking they may be chopping a tree down every so often, after not getting any hassle after the first one.

As well as the Gardai, put some "no trespassing" signs up. Stick one on an ash tree to get the point across?
Forget about the no trespassing signs. Don't work.
This sign works great, nobody wants to hang around too long with this!
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
14-09-2011, 14:55   #10
reilig
Closed Account

If they are fairly big ash trees and they cut them right at the butt (or dug around the butt to cut lower) then its definitely for hurlies. As pakalasa said, they're worth more for hurlies than for firewood.

Definitely report it to Guards
14-09-2011, 14:57   #11
dryan

Thanks guys.
Going to go with the sign, the guards, and will have a chat to a few lads in the area (not that it will help)

i do believe its for the firewood market.
only last winter, most of the larger trees growing alongside the railway line itself were cut down.
I only noticed it in the spring as some of the fences were damaged.
I contacted a local CIE representative to complain.
Told me that as the line is now closed, they have no maintenance going on and that it was probably a few local lads cutting timber to sell it on.

My guess is that its the same lads cutting my trees.
14-09-2011, 14:59   #12
Dow99

It might be kids getting in early preparation for Halloween bonfires. I know when I was a kid we would usually start collecting for wood as soon as we're back to school!!
14-09-2011, 15:00   #13
Birdnuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pakalasa View Post
Also contact local hurley makers. They may approach them too. Ash butts are worth a lot more than the firewood in them.
Yes - this kind of thing is on the rise. One criminal recently got done for stealing ash tree's from Declan Ganley's place in Galway.

PS: Perhaps the OP might consider installing a trail camera if the problem persists, this method is increasingly used to target illegal dumpers in a number of counties. JG(da mod) gave some good advice on that subject not so long ago.
14-09-2011, 15:01   #14
Atilathehun
Closed Account

I could swear, I saw a piece of one of your trees in Croke Park, last Sunday week. Them Kilkenny boys, fairly move around the country in their Hi Ace vans
14-09-2011, 15:06   #15
Itsdacraic

Take a look at this link.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0715/ganleyd.html

Big money in native ash trees for hurley making at the moment, as the majority of ash is being shipped in from abroad.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion