Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
23-08-2011, 15:57   #1
irish bloke
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,438
Best golf club custom fitter (Limerick area)

Hi All,

As can be seen from the title I am looking for the best place to get fitted for golf clubs in the limerick area.

I would like to try get fitted for Irons and possibly woods.

I have had some mixed infrormation to date with some people telling me im taylormade 2.0 irons standard lie and regular flex, with others telling me I am 1degree flat and I should get S300 stiff shafts.

With that much ambiguity about my set-up I want to be sure I get correctly fitted.

The Mizuno JPX 800 irons interest me too after reading about them here and doing some research on them

PS: I had thought about putting this in the regional area, but felt I would get a more experienced answer here.
irish bloke is offline  
Advertisement
23-08-2011, 17:30   #2
5989
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 90
not a whole lot of choice- you might have to travel. I don't know if Uni Golf in C'Troy do custom fitting. Might just be lessons and the putting course. Think ProGolf in Raheen is closed.

If you're serious about it Foregolf in Naas is you're best bet. New Motorway would have you up in no time.
5989 is offline  
23-08-2011, 22:05   #3
truebluechippy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 48
like what the other poster has said.To get fitted head to foregolf 1hr 45mins from limerick as im from limerick to.they are the best fitter and club makers around.
truebluechippy is offline  
23-08-2011, 22:51   #4
irish bloke
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,438
Thanks guys,

Just read the 160+ posts in the foregolf thread... Interesting stuff there and more positives then negatives.

My only concerns are prices over standard. Sent them a mail so hopefully I will get the right answers..
irish bloke is offline  
24-08-2011, 11:41   #5
Aesop
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 199
Options AFAIK for custom fitting in Limerick.

Donal McSweeney in Unigolf in Castletroy
Tom Murphy Castletroy Shopping centre
Nevada Bobs (in the Elvery's store near the Parkway)

I went to foregolf so I'm afraid I can't comment on any of the guys above. I know in general from his shop prices, Tom is pretty expensive so I don't think Foregolf would be any more expensive. On the foregolf experience I would say the downside is

1) You don't get a printout of all the data acquired during your fitting which is something that you pay for separate to the cost of the clubs.
2) Foregolf only carry the very latest models from each club maker so there is no slightly older (cheaper) models you can try out (e.g. you can't get mx-200 mizuno irons or one of the older model drivers if you prefer smaller headed drivers).
3) There are cheaper ways of buying clubs out there (particularly for high handicappers (>18) who in my view are not going to see the benefit of paying more).

Pluses for me were
1) Foregolf are one of the best at what they do and they are genuinely interested in making sure you get the right clubs
2) Because the fitting cost is separate from the cost of purchasing clubs there is no pressure on you to buy stuff you don't need.
Aesop is offline  
Advertisement
25-08-2011, 22:56   #6
irish bloke
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,438
Actually went about looking at all 3.
  1. Donal McSweeney in Unigolf in Castletroy.Tried ringing this guy 3 times and left 2 voice mails on his mobile, got zero response.
  2. Tom Murphy Castletroy Shopping centre. Found this guy a little bit expensive alright although nice to deal with. Didn't believe he was trying to sell me what he had in the shop and felt he knew what he was talking abt too.
  3. Nevada Bobs (in the Elvery's store near the Parkway). This place was the cheapest for clubs but as far as getting fitted, forget it. Was told exactly what I needed was what was on the shelve. Told I would be waiting months for my custom clubs. I grip the club at the very top of the club and was told this was completely normal when I know its not. Got him to put a sticker on bottom of an iron to see my lie and I was told it was standard. i could see it was flat and nearer the shaft.
The crux of it all is I'm booked into foregolf for next month....
irish bloke is offline  
26-08-2011, 00:11   #7
cackhanded
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Salisbury
Posts: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish bloke View Post
Nevada Bobs (in the Elvery's store near the Parkway). This place was the cheapest for clubs but as far as getting fitted, forget it. Was told exactly what I needed was what was on the shelve. Told I would be waiting months for my custom clubs. I grip the club at the very top of the club and was told this was completely normal when I know its not. Got him to put a sticker on bottom of an iron to see my lie and I was told it was standard. i could see it was flat and nearer the shaft.
The crux of it all is I'm booked into foregolf for next month....
Amazed at the attitude you got from them TBH - Callaway have a custom fitting stand (free AFAIK) at Rathbane GC in the morning which is being run in conjunction with Nevada Bobs. Also, a couple of months back they did the same with Cobra and the fella who runs Nevada Bobs was practically begging me to go up to them for a fitting (I had to shoot off so couldn't do it).
cackhanded is offline  
26-08-2011, 10:03   #8
irish bloke
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by cackhanded View Post
Amazed at the attitude you got from them TBH - Callaway have a custom fitting stand (free AFAIK) at Rathbane GC in the morning which is being run in conjunction with Nevada Bobs. Also, a couple of months back they did the same with Cobra and the fella who runs Nevada Bobs was practically begging me to go up to them for a fitting (I had to shoot off so couldn't do it).
Dont get me wrong, he was a nice fella. Just felt he either didn't respect the knowledge I might or might not of had, or was a true salesman at heart.
irish bloke is offline  
18-11-2011, 10:16   #9
opinionated3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish bloke View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cackhanded View Post
Amazed at the attitude you got from them TBH - Callaway have a custom fitting stand (free AFAIK) at Rathbane GC in the morning which is being run in conjunction with Nevada Bobs. Also, a couple of months back they did the same with Cobra and the fella who runs Nevada Bobs was practically begging me to go up to them for a fitting (I had to shoot off so couldn't do it).
Dont get me wrong, he was a nice fella. Just felt he either didn't respect the knowledge I might or might not of had, or was a true salesman at heart.
Apologies for ressurecting an old thread but how did you get on at foregolf? Thinking if purchasing new clubs in january and was thinking of going down the custom fitted route. Did you find it worthwhile? Are you seeing big game improvements? How were they on pricing....clubs and custom fitting? Would appreciate any info/help
opinionated3 is offline  
Advertisement
18-11-2011, 13:58   #10
dines08
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Limerick
Posts: 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by opinionated3 View Post
Apologies for ressurecting an old thread but how did you get on at foregolf? Thinking if purchasing new clubs in january and was thinking of going down the custom fitted route. Did you find it worthwhile? Are you seeing big game improvements? How were they on pricing....clubs and custom fitting? Would appreciate any info/help
I'm in Limerick myself and after exhausting all avenues for fitting locally i am booked into Foregolf on the 10th of December. There just isn't the same quality of fitting available in limerick. I'll let you know how I get on
dines08 is offline  
18-11-2011, 15:32   #11
acejeff
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 158
opinionated - I got fitted with foregolf about 6 weeks ago so I just thought I'd give you some feedback from my experience. Incredibly friendly, knowledgeable and informative (some cynics on other posts say that this is good business or sales technique, I see it as enthusiasm for what they do and yes indeed they are a business at the end of the day so offering friendly customer service is essential and quite frankly would these people prefer if they were aloof, cold and arrogant!? Sorry I digress!!). I’m a 5 handicap by the way with a real passion for the game and a decent understanding (IMHO!!)
Bucket of balls to warm up first, then over to the truck for my session with Dave. Spoke a bit about why I was looking to change, what I was looking for in terms of performance (which for me was to get a more piercing ball flight with my irons instead of ballooning) and had I any particular clubs in mind. One of the best things about them is they are not brand loyal. This was the main reason I didn’t go to my pro as I know he would have pushed Callaways or Nike. Dave was really knowledgeable and after a few shots he was really able to zone in on my requirement. As we started to try different head/shaft combinations he was all the time informing me of what he was trying to achieve what results he expected and where he thought it might benefit. For the irons he recommended a kbs tour90 stiff shaft designed to launch mid/high but with a lower spin rate (the reason my old irons were ballooning was due to my high spin rate as I was actually launching quite low). I had informed him that I was happy with my 3wood and hybrid (both ping g10s with prelaunch red stiff shaft) and he reckoned that I was correct that they were a good match for me. Nonetheless he still went through the same check, confirmed that they were in fact a good match, took notes for future reference but said that what he would be recommending was basically the same as what I was using, in other words not trying to push a sale I didn’t need or require. Same with the driver (Ping g5) he even told me he reckoned it was still the best driver ping have made and the three preceding versions were not as good! Said that a change was not critical, however I informed him that my weak shot with it was getting a bit quick and hitting a quick hook now and again. Set about looking to offset with a stiffer shaft, more loft in the Taylormade superfast which is also slightly fade bias due to a weight in the toe end of the head.
I was with Dave in the truck for anhour and a half, never felt rushed, he answered any questions I had and didn’t try push either a sale I didn’t need or a brand I didn’t want. An absolutely brilliant experience. I couldn’t recommend it any higher.
Went in had a cup of coffee and spoke further with Derek about placing my order. Ordered Titleist CB/MB combo (2,4-6 CB & 7-P MB) with KBS Tour90 stiff shaft, Cleveland CG15dsg wedges 52 56 & 60, and Taylormade Burner Superfast Fujikura Speeder 757 stiff shaft. They say to allow two weeks for the build yet I got the phone call to say mine were ready one week later.
The moment I struck the irons I knew they were spot on, like a good fitting pair of jeans you know in an instant. Exactly the ball flight I was looking for, ball just keeps penetrating and holds its line in a crosswind. The driver has taken a bit more getting used to (this is due to the fact that it was such a different setup from what I had previously) however in about my 4th round with it something clicked I got the feeling for it and started trusting and releasing it. Nailing it now, and it has gone a long way to eliminating my previous “bad shot” with the driver. This is where I again have to compliment them on their after sale service. I contacted Dave after a few rounds with feedback and, in relation to the driver, he gave me a few pointers, told me to bear with it for a while but that if it still wasn’t working for me in a while that he would bring me back up to see what they could do.
You will pay a bit more than you would to buy off the shelf or from most local pros however I think it is well worth it. After all you get what you pay for. Top notch, these guys know what they are doing, they have been trusted by many top pros and won the world club maker of the year award for good reason. Highly recommended. Sorry if I went on a bit long! Anything else you want to know just reply and I’d be happy to answer. I know myself it’s an investment so advice from other golfers is very helpful.
acejeff is offline  
18-11-2011, 15:53   #12
golfnut1
Registered User
 
golfnut1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 530
Quote:
Originally Posted by acejeff View Post
opinionated - I got fitted with foregolf about 6 weeks ago so I just thought I'd give you some feedback from my experience. Incredibly friendly, knowledgeable and informative (some cynics on other posts say that this is good business or sales technique, I see it as enthusiasm for what they do and yes indeed they are a business at the end of the day so offering friendly customer service is essential and quite frankly would these people prefer if they were aloof, cold and arrogant!? Sorry I digress!!). I’m a 5 handicap by the way with a real passion for the game and a decent understanding (IMHO!!)
Bucket of balls to warm up first, then over to the truck for my session with Dave. Spoke a bit about why I was looking to change, what I was looking for in terms of performance (which for me was to get a more piercing ball flight with my irons instead of ballooning) and had I any particular clubs in mind. One of the best things about them is they are not brand loyal. This was the main reason I didn’t go to my pro as I know he would have pushed Callaways or Nike. Dave was really knowledgeable and after a few shots he was really able to zone in on my requirement. As we started to try different head/shaft combinations he was all the time informing me of what he was trying to achieve what results he expected and where he thought it might benefit. For the irons he recommended a kbs tour90 stiff shaft designed to launch mid/high but with a lower spin rate (the reason my old irons were ballooning was due to my high spin rate as I was actually launching quite low). I had informed him that I was happy with my 3wood and hybrid (both ping g10s with prelaunch red stiff shaft) and he reckoned that I was correct that they were a good match for me. Nonetheless he still went through the same check, confirmed that they were in fact a good match, took notes for future reference but said that what he would be recommending was basically the same as what I was using, in other words not trying to push a sale I didn’t need or require. Same with the driver (Ping g5) he even told me he reckoned it was still the best driver ping have made and the three preceding versions were not as good! Said that a change was not critical, however I informed him that my weak shot with it was getting a bit quick and hitting a quick hook now and again. Set about looking to offset with a stiffer shaft, more loft in the Taylormade superfast which is also slightly fade bias due to a weight in the toe end of the head.
I was with Dave in the truck for anhour and a half, never felt rushed, he answered any questions I had and didn’t try push either a sale I didn’t need or a brand I didn’t want. An absolutely brilliant experience. I couldn’t recommend it any higher.
Went in had a cup of coffee and spoke further with Derek about placing my order. Ordered Titleist CB/MB combo (2,4-6 CB & 7-P MB) with KBS Tour90 stiff shaft, Cleveland CG15dsg wedges 52 56 & 60, and Taylormade Burner Superfast Fujikura Speeder 757 stiff shaft. They say to allow two weeks for the build yet I got the phone call to say mine were ready one week later.
The moment I struck the irons I knew they were spot on, like a good fitting pair of jeans you know in an instant. Exactly the ball flight I was looking for, ball just keeps penetrating and holds its line in a crosswind. The driver has taken a bit more getting used to (this is due to the fact that it was such a different setup from what I had previously) however in about my 4th round with it something clicked I got the feeling for it and started trusting and releasing it. Nailing it now, and it has gone a long way to eliminating my previous “bad shot” with the driver. This is where I again have to compliment them on their after sale service. I contacted Dave after a few rounds with feedback and, in relation to the driver, he gave me a few pointers, told me to bear with it for a while but that if it still wasn’t working for me in a while that he would bring me back up to see what they could do.
You will pay a bit more than you would to buy off the shelf or from most local pros however I think it is well worth it. After all you get what you pay for. Top notch, these guys know what they are doing, they have been trusted by many top pros and won the world club maker of the year award for good reason. Highly recommended. Sorry if I went on a bit long! Anything else you want to know just reply and I’d be happy to answer. I know myself it’s an investment so advice from other golfers is very helpful.
What was the damage?
golfnut1 is offline  
18-11-2011, 16:00   #13
acejeff
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 158
Driver- Taylormade Burner Superfast 10.5 Fujikura 757 Stiff shaft
Irons- Titleist CB 2 & 4-6, MB 7-P, KBS Tour90 Stiff shafts (8 irons)
Wedges- Cleveland CG15 DSG 52, 56, & 60 Dynamic Gold Spinner shafts

all in €1600.

Bear in mind that a bog standard set of 7 Titleist irons (4-P) off the shelf is €800
acejeff is offline  
18-11-2011, 16:44   #14
golfnut1
Registered User
 
golfnut1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 530
Quote:
Originally Posted by acejeff View Post
Driver- Taylormade Burner Superfast 10.5 Fujikura 757 Stiff shaft
Irons- Titleist CB 2 & 4-6, MB 7-P, KBS Tour90 Stiff shafts (8 irons)
Wedges- Cleveland CG15 DSG 52, 56, & 60 Dynamic Gold Spinner shafts

all in €1600.

Bear in mind that a bog standard set of 7 Titleist irons (4-P) off the shelf is €800

Wow ffs. I'm glad your happy with them and hope they last you a long time.
golfnut1 is offline  
18-11-2011, 17:33   #15
acejeff
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfnut1 View Post
Wow ffs. I'm glad your happy with them and hope they last you a long time.
Let's just say I won't be changing for a good few years!!
acejeff is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet