Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

26-07-2011, 23:19   #1
lucernarian

Eircom apparently to launch FTTH trials in Wexford/Sandyford in Sept.

I was looking around on a website linked to by Sponge Bob this evening, (www.nextgenerationnetwork.ie) where there was a section dealing with Next Generation Access. Looking through some of the downloads, I noticed that eircom are in the process of deploying a GPON network around Wexford town and Sandyford (Co. Dublin) and this will be launched by the end of September according to this document: http://www.nextgenerationnetwork.ie/...view_filg9.pdf

Any word in the area on linesmen in the field working on this fibre network?

This trial has been mentioned before but there were little updates since. A Wexford Echo article has some additional information on the network build there.
Advertisement
28-07-2011, 08:59   #2
10belowzero
Closed Account

eircom Announces fibre roll out

eircom Announces Over €100M Investment in Phase 1 of Planned Fibre Rollout
Television to Launch in 2012

eircom Group today announced Phase 1 of a plan to significantly upgrade Ireland’s telecommunications infrastructure by rolling out fibre based access technologies delivering superfast broadband to customers. Separately, the company also announced it will launch television services next year.

The company intends to serve 100,000 premises by summer 2012 in Phase 1 of a planned multi-year rollout that envisages fibre based services to one million homes and businesses in Ireland. This will involve an initial investment of over €100 million, upgrading the existing copper access network with fibre to the cabinet (FTTC) and fibre to the home (FTTH) technologies.

These developments build on the company’s plans to restructure its debt and its recent Wholesale Reform announcement. The upgrade will provide Ireland with a range of faster broadband speeds and a platform to allow wholesale customers and ICT providers to introduce exciting new services and applications via the eircom network. Specific speeds will vary according to the technology used. FTTC will support speeds of up to 40Mbps and beyond, while FTTH supports speeds of up to 150Mbps.

eircom to Launch IPTV Services from Mid 2012

Separately, eircom intends to launch a range of entertainment services over fibre including television via a customer’s broadband connection (IPTV), video on demand, catch up TV and social media via TV.

These new services will complement our existing value added services such as eircom MusicHub, to offer customers a complete range of content to the device of their choice in their home.

Commenting on the announcement, Paul Donovan, CEO eircom Group, said “Our investment of over €100 million underlines the company’s commitment to be the nation’s network provider of choice and to support economic growth in Ireland.

“The introduction of television and entertainment services is extremely exciting and underlines how far the company has progressed during the past two years. We are determined to offer quality products and services that are relevant and offer real value to our customers. Today is the next step in that journey. This is good news for the industry, good news for our employees and good news for Ireland.”

Good news indeed for Ireland - copied from eircom.ie web site - 28/7/2011
28-07-2011, 09:34   #3
Kev.

So Eircom are going to put 100 million Euro into a new project that's available from UPC already....

Unless they target areas that UPC don't already cover they are destined for failure.....

I cant see anybody changing from UPC fiber to Eircom
28-07-2011, 09:36   #4
ProjectMoose

Do we not get a similar press release from Eircom every year?

I would hope Eircom are serious about a FTTC/FTTH roll out, however I really don't see this happening - especially in their current financial situation.
28-07-2011, 09:39   #5
Kensington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev. View Post
So Eircom are going to put 100 million Euro into a new project that's available from UPC already....

Unless they target areas that UPC don't already cover they are destined for failure.....

I cant see anybody changing from UPC fiber to Eircom
UPC's network is not fibre optic at the customer level, it's co-axial cable.
If Eircom intend running fibre to the home then it could seriously give UPC a run for money.
(5) thanks from:
Advertisement
28-07-2011, 09:40   #6
Sponge Bob
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearNecessities View Post
I would hope Eircom are serious about a FTTC/FTTH roll out, however I really don't see this happening - especially in their current financial situation.
They announced a generation 1 ADSL rollout to 300 exchanges nationwide in March 2007...to be finished by summer 2009. That very limited rollout is not finished in summer 2011 so I really cannot see them managing 300+ cabinets in only a year. Be nice if they could finish what they started first.

UPC must be about to announce something I suspect.
28-07-2011, 10:54   #7
demanufactured

Send a message via Yahoo to demanufactured
Heh , I imagine eircom will charge customers through the roof for this
You'll be paying "Fibre Rental" too
Thanks from:
28-07-2011, 10:59   #8
sirione

fibre

we are way behind the rest of europe, this is long overdue, im in drogheda, no sign of fibre power here, were not that far from dublin, wots goin on upc?
28-07-2011, 11:00   #9
TechnoFreek

It will be good news for the likes of me "out in the sticks of Arklow" if eircom extend the service outside of the main cities.

UPC don't provide broadband so we're stuck with crappy dsl
Thanks from:
Advertisement
28-07-2011, 11:05   #10
Sponge Bob
Banned

Word is phase 1 is central Dublin ( D1 and D2 and D3) because UPC coverage in there is very patchy right now.
28-07-2011, 11:12   #11
Mr Simpson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sponge Bob View Post
Word is phase 1 is central Dublin ( D1 and D2 and D3) because UPC coverage in there is very patchy right now.
I hope so, because UPC is very bad in my area (dublin 3). There were so many problems with the Digital tv that we had to switch to sky.
28-07-2011, 12:01   #12
Johnmb

How much can be done with €100m though? It's not actually that much to earmark for such an investment. I get the feeling this is more of a PR stunt than a genuine attempt to upgrade the network. I'd imagine you'd be taking billions, not millions, if you were to make any real improvement to the current network.
(3) thanks from:
28-07-2011, 12:15   #13
jor el
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechnoFreek View Post
It will be good news for the likes of me "out in the sticks of Arklow" if eircom extend the service outside of the main cities.
Anyone "out in the sticks" should not get their hopes up over this. Fibre will not extend beyond the main cities and larger towns, probably ever, but certainly not in the next 10 years.

I suspect this announcement to be little more than a PR stunt. They announced trials of ADSL2+ about 6 or 7 years ago (to compete against Smart and Magnet's then superior offering), but never got beyond the trial with it. As SB said, the last planned roll out (to the remaining non-DSL enabled exchanges) was simply dropped, and that was after the programme ran twice as long as it was meant to and only did half what was promised.
28-07-2011, 12:32   #14
Headshot

How can eircom afford this ?
Thanks from:
28-07-2011, 12:37   #15
irishgeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jor el View Post
Anyone "out in the sticks" should not get their hopes up over this. Fibre will not extend beyond the main cities and larger towns, probably ever, but certainly not in the next 10 years.

I suspect this announcement to be little more than a PR stunt. They announced trials of ADSL2+ about 6 or 7 years ago (to compete against Smart and Magnet's then superior offering), but never got beyond the trial with it. As SB said, the last planned roll out (to the remaining non-DSL enabled exchanges) was simply dropped, and that was after the programme ran twice as long as it was meant to and only did half what was promised.
lets hope enda has a word and gets his hometown of castlebar on this. the exchange is creaking at the seems in castlebarbadly needs fibre to attract some jobs to it.

claremorris has got a fibre link to it done via the railway.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion