Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

30-06-2011, 22:46   #1
El Guapo!

Paranormal Investigations

Hi,
I was just wondering is there any paranormal investigations that are open to members of the public to tag along?
I don't mean ghost tours or touristy type things or anything like that but the likes of serious night-time tours around known haunted locations etc.
Advertisement
01-07-2011, 09:30   #2
Ruth KPS

Well there a couple of public investigations coming up.

Irish Ghosthunters have public investigations in Wicklow Gaol on July 9th, July 22nd, August 19th, September 23rd & 24th and October 29th & 30th.. each of these are €50 a head.

My own team have a public investigation for charity on August 26th, which is in Muckross Abbey in Killarney which is only €20 a head. All proceeds raised going to Our Ladies Hospital for Sick Children in Crumlin.

I am not sure of any other public investigations being run.. these are just the ones I know of.

Hope this helps!
Thanks from:
01-07-2011, 10:33   #3
maccored

Send a message via Skype™ to maccored
it all depends on if you prefer 'ghost hunting' for the entertainment value, or paranormal research for the actual 'research' value.

If its the former, then go spend money paying people to 'entertain' you. If it's the latter, look for a reputable, locally based paranormal research group and ask to join them on an investigation.
Thanks from:
01-07-2011, 14:09   #4
El Guapo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccored View Post
it all depends on if you prefer 'ghost hunting' for the entertainment value, or paranormal research for the actual 'research' value.

If its the former, then go spend money paying people to 'entertain' you. If it's the latter, look for a reputable, locally based paranormal research group and ask to join them on an investigation.
Definately the latter. Cheers for the replies. Do you know of any such groups around the Dublin/Leinster area?
01-07-2011, 14:46   #5
maccored

around Dublin theres Paranormal Research Association of Ireland, Paranormal Investigation Guys and Paranormal Watch Ireland. Theres also Leinster Paranormal based in Carlow and Dublin but we aren't really looking to expand and most of our cases are private anyway.
Advertisement
01-07-2011, 19:48   #6
Riamfada

Paranormal Investigation Guys arnt running any public things and probably won't for a long time. Too much stress!
02-07-2011, 09:46   #7
Ruth KPS

You also have Dublin Paranormal Investigations and Wexford Paranormal.

Wexford Paranormal are actually planning another public investigation, they ( as far as I know ) do not normally bring members of the public on investigations as a lot of them are private. If you join the Wexford Paranormal facebook page they update it and let you know of the date / venue etc.

03-07-2011, 08:33   #8
Riamfada

FYI there have been some allegations of "sexual misconduct" made about a few groups out there in recent months. It would be wise to do a background check of any groups you do go with just to be on the safe side.

Usually I laugh about everything in a Doctor Hibbert fashion but this is fairly serious.
Thanks from:
04-07-2011, 17:00   #9
Dre as in Dray

Yeah PIG's are not doing anything anymore. But there are alot of new teams out there now that are so good , they can actually create ghosts !! So the price of the open investigations has gone up.
Advertisement
04-07-2011, 18:13   #10
maccored

i think the OP mentioned they werent into the 'oh nos its a ghosty, how much do I owe you?' type stuff
Thanks from:
05-07-2011, 17:20   #11
El Guapo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccored View Post
i think the OP mentioned they werent into the 'oh nos its a ghosty, how much do I owe you?' type stuff
Exactly.
It'd be serious investigations that I'd be interested in. Cheers for all the replies folks. It seems its hard enough to get involved in a proper investigation as they mainly seem to be private.
06-07-2011, 10:00   #12
maccored

the best idea is look out for a team and then contact them
Thanks from:
07-07-2011, 13:44   #13
Yukina

DCU also has a paranormal society that is planning trips for next acedemic year, we're only new to the game ourselves so any advice would be greatly appreciated
07-07-2011, 17:20   #14
Melodi

If your serious about this, another route to go might be to ask if anyone in your area is interested, form a private club and explore things together. Get advice (if you can) from other groups (especially the more serious ones) but start out slow and do your preparation work.

This can be true for almost any sort of metaphysical study, from ghost busting to tarot reading. If you can't find people already experienced in it to join, then form an group of interested newbies and carefully explore things together. Start safe, or with a really good book/lesson plan on the subject; be wise and don't try taking on the scene of a local gruesome murder for your first experiment.

If I was going to do this (and I have no plans at this time) I would look at various forms of voice recording and perhaps start there. That's a hobby that can get pretty expensive if you get fancy, but was started in the old days by people using just tape players in graveyards and old buildings.

But whatever you (or your group does) please read a good book about and practice basic psychic protection techniques first. Trust me, your going to need them if you do this sort of work, even if you have the best intentions in the world; your likely to "attract" somethings that won't appreciate your efforts.

Melodi
(2) thanks from:
30-06-2012, 23:12   #15
mac.the.hat

The reason why most paranormal investigations are private is quite simply confidentiality. Most reports of suspected paranormal activity relate to private residences and businesses and in the vast majority of cases, the families and individuals concerned quite simply do not want it known (for obvious reasons) that they may have 'ghosts' to coin a phrase. Teams are therefore reluctant to take outsiders on these investigations because they can no longer guarantee confidentiality.

The reasons for the charges for public investigations include rental of the location, refreshments and insurance (public liability, premises and event). You introduce 20 or 30 people into a strange location in the middle of the night in pitch dark for 6 or 7 hours and the fun starts.

Hope this helps.

M

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion