Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

24-06-2011, 16:41   #1
Spipov

Toyota Yaris differences

Pardon me for asking but ive searched google and boards for an answer without finding something satisfactory.

im trying to find the feature of a yaris 2001 sol specced.

why i am asking is, ive gone to see the car, which cartell says is a sol but it has only 2 front electric windows and no remote central locking.

i though sol was the highest spec available?

could somebody enlighten me the differences between the spec of that era?i found the 2006 model specs, and they are not the same at all.

Thanks again.
Advertisement
24-06-2011, 17:01   #2
mgbgt1978

The Sol should have the following:
CD, Remote Locking, Electric Mirrors, colour coded Mirrors, 3 rear headrests, height adjustable Driver seat (and I think the Grill should be chrome).
I don't know if it had the remote central locking built into the key fob or if it was on a seperate unit. If it was seperate it could well have been mislaid over the years.
It may also state the model type on the registration cert.
Thanks from:
24-06-2011, 18:50   #3
colm_mcm
rotaredoM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgbgt1978 View Post
The Sol should have the following:
CD, Remote Locking, Electric Mirrors, colour coded Mirrors, 3 rear headrests, height adjustable Driver seat (and I think the Grill should be chrome).
I don't know if it had the remote central locking built into the key fob or if it was on a seperate unit. If it was seperate it could well have been mislaid over the years.
It may also state the model type on the registration cert.
New sol spec is completely different. None of them had rear electric windows or aircon standard

Spec was changed in 2003 also.
24-06-2011, 20:15   #4
mgbgt1978

^^^ OP asked about a 2001 and it should have CD player,remote central locking, electric & colour-coded mirrors, 3 rear headrests and height adjustable drivers seat.
Nobody mentioned Air-con or electric rear windows.
24-06-2011, 20:28   #5
colm_mcm
rotaredoM

I quoted the wrong post. On the mobile so major hassle to rectify!

Of course your specs are bang on, but I think the OP was expecting more spec on a top of the range model.

The original post makes reference to the lack of rear lec windows

In addition to the stuff you mentioned, the sol gets upgraded seat fabrics, kinda velour, leather steering wheel with cool bumpy grips and leather gearknob

Last edited by colm_mcm; 24-06-2011 at 20:32.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
24-06-2011, 20:37   #6
mgbgt1978

No prob Colm.
By the way the wife has the basic (Terra) spec Yaris. I swapped the stereo for a radio/cd player (lying around at home) and bought a remote central locking kit off ebay (€17).
That's specced it enough for herself.
25-06-2011, 00:40   #7
Spipov

nice one. not much more than the terra then, doesnt warrant that much more cash.

im still struggling between getting a yaris (the prices of them = ouch) and a polo 2000-2002 (not a lot of good ones going around).

decisions decisions!
25-06-2011, 10:19   #8
johndaman66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spipov View Post
nice one. not much more than the terra then, doesnt warrant that much more cash.

im still struggling between getting a yaris (the prices of them = ouch) and a polo 2000-2002 (not a lot of good ones going around).

decisions decisions!
For me I'd have to go with the Yaris. I had the displeasure of driving a 98' 1.0 litre Polo for a number of weeks. I'm unsure if the engine in the 2000 - 2002 version is the same (assuming you are looking at a 1.0 litre) but the engine in the one I was driving was just woeful. Granted, nobody expects a 1.0 litre car to be fast but Polo was just dreadful altogether to the point of being dangerously slow. Then at anything above 50mph it could be quite terrifying to drive, even on a smooth straight motorway.

It also had lots of niggly faults. Needed to keep the foot on the accelerator until the engine heated up fully or else the car cutted out (made life difficult when coming up to traffic lights/ junctions etc)....perhaps that was a problem that could have being rectified easily enough though. Apart from that ignition coil and brakes gave trouble and as I say I only had the car on loan for a few weeks. It was very apparent it was made to a budget. Most components were made in Spain I think. Also, was quite heavy on fuel considering it was such a slouch.

My sister drives a 2001 Yaris and it is just in a different league altogether. If I need to be critical the interior plastics seem fairly hard and cheap, wouldn't bother me too much really but some people get very hung up on this aspect. Having said that the interior does seem pretty robust and well screwed together. I'm also not a fan of the red or blue display only for engine temperature and would much rather see a needle. Sisters has being hassle free for her, just usual wear and tear items really and also not heavy on fuel. You might pay a wee bit of a premium for a Yaris but its worth it against the likes of a Polo I think.
(3) thanks from:
25-06-2011, 10:45   #9
lomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndaman66 View Post
For me I'd have to go with the Yaris. I had the displeasure of driving a 98' 1.0 litre Polo for a number of weeks. I'm unsure if the engine in the 2000 - 2002 version is the same (assuming you are looking at a 1.0 litre) but the engine in the one I was driving was just woeful. Granted, nobody expects a 1.0 litre car to be fast but Polo was just dreadful altogether to the point of being dangerously slow. Then at anything above 50mph it could be quite terrifying to drive, even on a smooth straight motorway.

It also had lots of niggly faults. Needed to keep the foot on the accelerator until the engine heated up fully or else the car cutted out (made life difficult when coming up to traffic lights/ junctions etc)....perhaps that was a problem that could have being rectified easily enough though. Apart from that ignition coil and brakes gave trouble and as I say I only had the car on loan for a few weeks. It was very apparent it was made to a budget. Most components were made in Spain I think. Also, was quite heavy on fuel considering it was such a slouch.

My sister drives a 2001 Yaris and it is just in a different league altogether. If I need to be critical the interior plastics seem fairly hard and cheap, wouldn't bother me too much really but some people get very hung up on this aspect. Having said that the interior does seem pretty robust and well screwed together. I'm also not a fan of the red or blue display only for engine temperature and would much rather see a needle. Sisters has being hassle free for her, just usual wear and tear items really and also not heavy on fuel. You might pay a wee bit of a premium for a Yaris but its worth it against the likes of a Polo I think.
The Yaris is the worst car Ive driven in the wet(from new on original and now aftermarket tyres), back end breaks loose easily and car spins. Could be potentially fatal... Steering feels very artificial also.
Another 97 corolla we had handelled neutrally in the wet so its not a Toyota specific problem just a Yaris problem.
Also right drivers armrest is crappy hard plastic so is uncomfortable on that point alone, window is too high to rest arm.
Yaris is good fun though to drive in dry conditions though , cheeky little car.
Advertisement
25-06-2011, 11:08   #10
johndaman66

I can't say I've experienced any severly bad handling problems with the Yaris lomb. Its not a sports car or a super saloon....I suppose if you treat it as such you will be in trouble! The Polo on the other hand was just a nightmare handling wise, wet, dry or indifferent and I'm not talking serious speed at all. Who knows, maybe that was just the one I drove for a few weeks. As I said the interior plastics are quite hard and not very comforting in the Yaris. To some people the inside of a car means a great deal but I wouldn't give a toss.

Priorities and all that but I'll put up with the hard plastic armrest everyday rather than the possibility of being stranded on the side of the road or potentially cutting out when overtaking a truck!
Thanks from:
26-06-2011, 19:40   #11
Spipov

lads, thanks a bunch for the info.

i found an ad and ended up getting a 00 yaris, 1 previous owner, nct till 09/12 tax till 08/11. it was the best ive driven in a long while.

had clutch and tyres recently changed, so that made it feel better driving. the piles of c*ap i tried before getting to this one was unbelievable. and this was cheaper (just over 2k euros).

it has 2 keys, no service history unfortunately, but then again, its a 2k car.

its a terra model (the last sol i saw wasnt different from this one, didnt have remote central lock either).

im thinking of getting this aftermarket remote locking kit, have people had any problems?

http://www.rclick.co.uk/product_info...roducts_id=675

im looking to get both keys cut then and the chip put into this one.

anybody knows of anybody who would fit that, and also cut the keys (+ changing the chip over to this kit?)

theres also a cd player in the car, so its just a matter of getting a mex-bt2700 and fitting it in.

all in all, im happy with the car (lets see if it develops any problems). im going to get it professionally valeted as well. - then give it as gift to the wife on our anniversary with a big bow on it!
Thanks from:
26-06-2011, 20:38   #12
johndaman66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spipov View Post
lads, thanks a bunch for the info.

i found an ad and ended up getting a 00 yaris, 1 previous owner, nct till 09/12 tax till 08/11. it was the best ive driven in a long while.

had clutch and tyres recently changed, so that made it feel better driving. the piles of c*ap i tried before getting to this one was unbelievable. and this was cheaper (just over 2k euros).

it has 2 keys, no service history unfortunately, but then again, its a 2k car.

its a terra model (the last sol i saw wasnt different from this one, didnt have remote central lock either).

im thinking of getting this aftermarket remote locking kit, have people had any problems?

http://www.rclick.co.uk/product_info...roducts_id=675

im looking to get both keys cut then and the chip put into this one.

anybody knows of anybody who would fit that, and also cut the keys (+ changing the chip over to this kit?)

theres also a cd player in the car, so its just a matter of getting a mex-bt2700 and fitting it in.

all in all, im happy with the car (lets see if it develops any problems). im going to get it professionally valeted as well. - then give it as gift to the wife on our anniversary with a big bow on it!
Congrats on the new motor Spipov. Hope its good for your wife and am sure it will be. It does seem to be a car that was well cared for by the way you describe it so thats a very good starting point anyway. Would think, she'll be over the moon with that present.

I'm afraid I'd be far from a whizz kid on the remote locking kit myself. mgbgt1978 might be the best man to advise on this if hes still following the thread as he mentioned he got one fitted to his car.

My ignition in my uncles 98' Corolla gave him hassle so he needed to replace that. He simply leaves the old key hanging on the bunch and thats grand to ensure that the immobiliser is happy when hes starting the car. Not sure if that bit of info is of any benefit to you but so you will know if need be
Thanks from:
26-06-2011, 21:52   #13
Spipov

thanks. ill keep an eye out
27-06-2011, 06:33   #14
mgbgt1978

This;
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Car-Remote-Con...item2564d472ac
is the kit i used for 2 different cars to give them remote central locking.
Fairly simple to fit and no messing about with keys and transponders
Thanks from:
12-07-2011, 21:57   #15
sparkle_23

Hi just wondering would anyone be able to tell me the spec for a 2004 model sol?

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion