Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

21-06-2011, 13:00   #16
Pisco Sour
Closed Account

Just off the phone with one of the coaches from my club and he said that they are currently doing early season work to prepare for the track season, every tuesday and thursday evening down by The Tan or The MCG. I still have 2 weeks left in Melbourne so may as well make use of that while I'm here.

My coach said while travelling, if I can get 3 sessions a week in I'm doing good. He said that if on a given day I can get one in then do it, but not to be stressing about it and not to worry if I cant fit a session in on a particular day. Basically the days we may arrive into some town at 4pm and dinner isn't until 6pm and I have free time then he said I can easily fit in a good 45 minute session on those days. But when in the wilderness and camping I'm not to worry. He said the amount of trekking I'll be doing in Western Australia will provide a decent amount of endurance, and when hiking it can even help with strength. He said its obviously not 400m specific work, but that I should think of it as a form of cross training.

I did a fair lot of hiking when in South America and when I came to Melbourne after all that travelling I didn't feel out of shape.

He then tried to talk me into doing a decathlon with him later in the year.
Advertisement
21-06-2011, 13:45   #17
Gandalph

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04072511 View Post
He then tried to talk me into doing a decathlon with him later in the year.
Doing a decathlon with a group of friends is possibly the most fun in the world, give it a go haha
Thanks from:
21-06-2011, 14:46   #18
Pisco Sour
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalph View Post
Doing a decathlon with a group of friends is possibly the most fun in the world, give it a go haha
I can't high jump (literally), have never even held a pole vault in my hands, and am scared sh1tless of the size of them men's high hurdles! Any chance I can make up the lost points in the other 7 events eh?
21-06-2011, 15:36   #19
Brianderunner

I would recommend the following for the off season 400m training, well this is what i did under the guidance of the sprints coach in trinity.

-Plyometrics (high knees, heel flicks, bounding, alternate leg skips, pitter patter, etc.
-Strength work in the gym.
-6-8 x 150m repeats at about 95%, walkback recovery
-5-6 x 250m repeats at about 90%, walkback recovery
22-06-2011, 00:58   #20
Pisco Sour
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianderunner View Post
I would recommend the following for the off season 400m training, well this is what i did under the guidance of the sprints coach in trinity.

-Plyometrics (high knees, heel flicks, bounding, alternate leg skips, pitter patter, etc.
Cheers for that.

Will have to do a bit of research into what all that terminology means.

Going to do a strength endurance session today at lunch time with some step-running. I work very close to the Shrine of Rememberence (stunning view of Melbourne skyline from there) which provides plenty of steps for a decent session.

http://www.abc.net.au/reslib/200709/r176625_672947.jpg
Advertisement
22-06-2011, 11:12   #21
Pisco Sour
Closed Account

Did a strength endurance session today during lunch. 5 minute jog to the Shrine of Rememberence to warm up. Stretches. Then 6x60 steps up the Shrine of Rememberence, with 3-4 minutes rest in between (Although there is a 20 metre run about half way up the steps which breaks it up a small bit). Then stretches, and then 5 minute cool down run back to the office.

The steps were only about 6 inches in height so was unsure on whether to run up every second step or every step. The first 2 reps I ran up every second step, and then after than I changed to running up every step, which felt like I was doing more work.

So I'm wondering for step-running for strength endurance how high should the steps be? Were the steps I was running up big enough to get proper strength benefits?

Tomorrow I'm going to the club session and will do whatever the coach tells me to do. I'll update my training on my log from now on, but this thread is good for when I need to ask questions as it is more likely those questions will be seen here than in my log (as there are so many logs, it takes literally 1 hour after you post sometimes and your log has already disappeared off the first page).

Every post here (with the exception of 1) has been extremely helpful. Thanks for all the advice, and keep it coming.

Last edited by Pisco Sour; 22-06-2011 at 11:16.
22-06-2011, 12:17   #22
shels4ever

Quote:
Did a strength endurance session today during lunch. 5 minute jog to the Shrine of Rememberence to warm up. Stretches. Then 6x60 steps up the Shrine of Rememberence, with 3-4 minutes rest in between (Although there is a 20 metre run about half way up the steps which breaks it up a small bit). Then stretches, and then 5 minute cool down run back to the office.

The steps were only about 6 inches in height so was unsure on whether to run up every second step or every step. The first 2 reps I ran up every second step, and then after than I changed to running up every step, which felt like I was doing more work.

So I'm wondering for step-running for strength endurance how high should the steps be? Were the steps I was running up big enough to get proper strength benefits?

Tomorrow I'm going to the club session and will do whatever the coach tells me to do. I'll update my training on my log from now on, but this thread is good for when I need to ask questions as it is more likely those questions will be seen here than in my log (as there are so many logs, it takes literally 1 hour after you post sometimes and your log has already disappeared off the first page).

Every post here (with the exception of 1) has been extremely helpful. Thanks for all the advice, and keep it coming.
So will see you in the graded leagues next summer in the 400/800?
22-06-2011, 12:27   #23
Pisco Sour
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by shels4ever View Post
So will see you in the graded leagues next summer in the 400/800?
I'll be in Australia all next year but will be coming home for a holiday for the Olympics (for which I am ticketless currently) so I reckon I could fit a cheeky race in
Thanks from:
22-06-2011, 12:43   #24
Brianderunner

Quote:
I'll be in Australia all next year but will be coming home for a holiday for the Olympics (for which I am ticketless currently) so I reckon I could fit a cheeky race in
You can take me on over 400m next summer in London during the olympics. We'll find an open track meet somewhere. Should be a classic!
Thanks from:
Advertisement
22-06-2011, 12:46   #25
Pisco Sour
Closed Account

Quote:
You can take me on over 400m next summer in London during the olympics. We'll find an open track meet somewhere. Should be a classic!
You're a 55 second man over the quarter mile. You should have no bother disposing of me with a little bit to spare.

45 metres on the otherhand
22-06-2011, 14:52   #26
dna_leri

Quote:

I would also recommend that you do speed work all year round and certainly if you are 4 months from your racing season.

Ecoli's comments on the middle distance thread are equally valid here (if not more so).
Quote:
An athlete should never be too far from speed and should keep elements of this in their training year round.
Read this for an insight into the different 400m training methods.
Lots of other good articles over on elitetrack.com too.
Thanks from:
22-06-2011, 15:11   #27
dna_leri

Also meant to say: Drills, drills and more drills - especially for a beginner.

Best done with a coach who will correct your form but as always there is an internet version. See this video with Clyde Hart.

Loads of other stuff on speedendurance.com too, like this answer to the question about tempo workouts and this one about balancng speed and endurance.

Last edited by dna_leri; 22-06-2011 at 15:12. Reason: its speedendurance.com
Thanks from:
23-06-2011, 14:59   #28
Pisco Sour
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by dna_leri View Post
Also meant to say: Drills, drills and more drills - especially for a beginner.

Best done with a coach who will correct your form but as always there is an internet version. See this video with Clyde Hart.

Loads of other stuff on speedendurance.com too, like this answer to the question about tempo workouts and this one about balancng speed and endurance.
Thanks a mill for all that. This thread is becoming a great reference point for 400m training. Thanks to all who have contributed.

It seems like the best areas to focus on at this moment would be Tempo endurance, Strength endurance and Speed endurance. By training 3 times a week, doing one of those each day could be the way to go, while doing heel rises to strengthen the calves, on a more regular basis.

At the training session this evening though the coach said to not worry about speed at the moment and the main focus is on strength and endurance. He said wait until August for the more speed based drills, and not to worry about technique at the moment.
24-09-2011, 13:47   #29
Pisco Sour
Closed Account

GET IN! 61.80 seconds today in the first race of the season. Getting closer...
(3) thanks from:
24-09-2011, 13:55   #30
Woddle
Closed Account

Good stuff man, I'd love to get under 60 aswell, hopefully next season.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion