Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

LBGT Movies

• 22-05-2011 3:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend a good movie with LBGT themes to watch?
    I've seen about 4 of the obvious choices:
    Priscilla Queen of the Desert, Brokeback Mountain, To Wong Fu and Transamerica. Can anyone tell me of any others to look out for?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

Mysterious Skin, Boys Don't Cry, and I have yet to see The Kids Are All Right but I hear its good anyway.

I can't remember any more right now but I'm sure some will come to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Asry

Kissing Jessica Stein!

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭alexjk

I can recommend that you don't look at Another Gay Movie or Make The Yuletide Gay. However, I really enjoyed But I'm A Cheerleader and Saved!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

Hedwig and the angry inch

Breakfast on Pluto

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭littlehedgehog

I've heard bad things about the kids are alright, and the messages of the movie..

I HIGHLY recommend But I'm A Cheerleader, Red Doors, D.E.B.S, Get Real, Beautiful Thing, Mysterious Skin, Saving Face, Boys Don't Cry, Imagine You And Me, Bound, - some of these are on my list of favourite movies of ALL TIME, they are that good.

And I recommend Grey Matters, Latter Days, Loving Annabelle, My Summer of Love, Puccini for Beginners, Wedding Wars, Lost and Delirious, Hedwig, Nina's Heavenly Delights..

I watch a lot of LGBT movies! I've a pile of ones that are average too -

High Art, Itty Bitty Titty Committee, When Night is Falling, The Incredibly True Adventures of Two Girls In Love, Inescapable, All Over Me, Better Than Chocolate..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Asry

Priscilla Queen of the Desert?

That movie made me cry though.

The Road to El Dorado! That is one (unintentionally) incredibly gay (Disney) movie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

Breakfast on Pluto! I forgot about that one. I haven't seen it from start to finish but I like what I have seen. Cillian Murphy makes a very attractive woman! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Milk was brilliant. ;)

McChubbin wrote: »
    Breakfast on Pluto! I forgot about that one. I haven't seen it from start to finish but I like what I have seen. Cillian Murphy makes a very attractive woman! :D
    He really does! doesnt he? :p

Only seen bits of Milk. I must rent that one out again. All good suggestions people! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Most of the ones I've seen have been total and utter ****e, but I like The Incredibly True Adventure of Two Girls in Love, All over me and Candy Rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Law of Desire.

It's a Spanish subtitled Pedro Aldomovar movie. A lot of his movies have LGBT themes although they are not always the central theme of the movie. With or without, they're all worth checking out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Some of my faves are DEBS, Better Than Chocolate, Milk, But I'm a Cheerleader, Boys Don't Cry, Brokeback Mountain, Transamerica, Loving Anabelle, The Investigator (tv movie but you can watch it in YouTube)... I'm sure I'll think of more but being on a phone on a bus when it's not even 8am yet does kind of stunt ones ability for memory...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭diddlybit

Watched I Love You Phillip Morris last night and loved it, Carrey and McGregor were great. It's got two gay leads but isn't about being gay, which makes a refreshing change.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

"Kyss Mig" (Kiss Me) is a new film with a lesbian theme, made in Sweden and due for release at the end of this summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 muldoon-boi

I remember I used to go to bed early with the laptop to watch some Gay theme'd movies... (Yes the Innocent ones.. :D)

Here are a few of my Favorites,

Eating out
    Eating out 2 - Sloppy Seconds
    Eating out 3 - All you can eat
    (They are kind of like Gay American Pies)

Yossi & Jagger
    (Its a German film about 2 soldiers so you would need to find a subtitled version)

The Trip
    (An gay romance that traces the relationship between two men)
    **Highly Recommended

The Birdcage
    (Stars Robin Williams - Very amusing film. Watched this more than twise. About a gay flamboyant gay couple go to comic lengths so as not to embarrass their son to his fiancee's staunchly conservative family)

Maurice
    (Two college guys who fall in love but part ways)

Shelter
    (Watched this is with my partner - He had seen it many times before, but i wept like a wimp and the ending...About a guy who takes care of his family but he falls in love with the gay brother of his best friend)
    **Highly Recommended

Hope some of these will keep you entertained for a while, most of these were a little treat to myself before my "out" days.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Latter Days someone already mentioned is a fav and a lesbian firend found herself getting turned on by the two lead guys so told me I was never to lend her films again :D Big Eden is another fav, its really really sweeet. Beautiful Thing also very sweet and my lovely laundrette, bit dated now but still a good watch. Also Presque Rien, french film, released in the UK/USA as Come Undone.
    Yossi & Jagger
    (Its a German film about 2 soldiers so you would need to find a subtitled version)

It's an Israeli film so it's in Hebrew not German. Really lovely film if a little on the short side.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Rick_

Beautiful Thing
    Get Real
    Latter Days
    Milk
    To Wong Foo, Thanks For Everything, Julie Newmar
    The Adventures Of Prescilla, Queen Of The Desert
    Patrik 1,5
    The Birdcage
    Shelter
    Brokeback Mountain
    The Rocky Horror Picture Show
    Breakfast On Pluto
    Transamerica
    Hedwig & The Angry Inch
    The Kids Are Alright
    Boys Don't Cry
    I Love You Phillip Morris
    Y Tu Mama Tambien
    The Broken Hearts Club
    Philadelphia

Just some of my suggestions, and probably the easiest to find if you are looking to rent/download them. :)

God! how did i forget Rocky Horror!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Oh, I forgot Aimee & Jaguar. it's a subtitled german film. it's fantastic, it's about 2 german women in WW2 who fall in love- one is Jewish and the other is Nazi commanders wife. Highly, highly recommended. Oh, and "If These Walls Could Talk 2". A HBO TV film but you can get it on DVD around the place.

• Advertisement

The Birdcage
    (Stars Robin Williams - Very amusing film. Watched this more than twise. About a gay flamboyant gay couple go to comic lengths so as not to embarrass their son to his fiancee's staunchly conservative family)

I love that movie! Anything with Nathan Lane in it is comedy gold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Does Philadelphia count?

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭unfortunately

C.R.A.Z.Y - was on the telly a few times (Film4 I think). Canadian French film, really good. From wiki:
    It tells the story of Zac, a young gay man dealing with homophobia and heterosexism while growing up with four brothers and a conservative father in 1960s and 1970s Quebec

Good soundtrack and humorous in parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭Doop

Shelter as mentioned is a great one... love that movie, will have to get my hands on a few others

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

Patrik 1,5 is an incredible movie. I'd recommend it to all.

But I'm a Cheerleader is fantastic too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Rick_

"The Broken Hearts Club - A Romantic Comedy" is another one.

A group of gay men, including Zach Braff [Scrubs], Dean Cain [New Adventures of Superman], Timothy Olyphant [Hitman / Die Hard 4], and John Mahoney [Frasier] and the story of their lives, loves and losses. It's quite good and I picked it up from Play.com for like £3, and it still is £3 as of today.
    In an endearing and funny coming-of-age story, Dennis can't quite decide if his friends are a blessing or a curse. Benji is a punkish youth whose obsession with gym bods gets him into trouble. Howie is an annoyingly overanalysing psychology grad student who can't let go of his ex-boyfriend. Cole is a "pretty boy" actor who goes through guys like clean underwear. Patrick is a painfully ordinary "average Joe" whose insecurity has turned him bitter. Taylor is the resident drama queen who prides himself on his long-term relationship only to find himself sleeping single in a double bed. Jack is the group's wizened patriarch whose restaurant is a haven for them all. And then there's Kevin, the naïve "newbie" and most recent addition to the club. To an outsider it may seem like the only thing these friends have in common is that they play on the same team, but when times get tough, these friends are more like family.

I was watching a movie on last night called "Connie & Carla". It stars Toni Collette and Nia Vardalos as two women on the run from mobsters. They take cover in a drag bar and masquerade as drag queens.
    It was hilerious! Here's the IMDB linkage:
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0345074/

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭s.a.man

I saw this the other day and its absolutely brilliant!

Watch the trailer!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sRGi4UFqj8

• Registered Users Posts: 16 patrix

"Were the World Mine" is great, it's part Shakespeare (based on his work A Midsummer Night's Dream) and part musical where a high school student manages to turn his town and all the inhabitants, gay. Funny and charming film.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

patrix wrote: »
    "Were the World Mine" is great, it's part Shakespeare (based on his work A Midsummer Night's Dream) and part musical where a high school student manages to turn his town and all the inhabitants, gay. Funny and charming film.

Never heard of this one before but it looks great, thanks for the heads up.

Transamerica is one of my favourite films ever. Have to give a mention to Girl, Interupted. Awesome film imo.

Advertisement