Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

21-04-2011, 11:08   #1
knick_knack

Gardai searching all houses for the queen

Hi all, I was at home the other day when a knock on the door revealed a uniformed gardai who was looking for a list of the people living in the house. This is because the queen's route "may" be passing this way and so everyone needs to be cleared. Now I don't really have a problem with this, but she then informed me that closer to the time several gardai would be coming down to search the house for explosives. Apparently every house, along possible routes, will be searched and inspected.

Now I have nothing to hide, however I think this is a pretty big invasion of privacy. I'm not planning on having her over for tea and scones after all.
The amount this visit is costing aside (though my own personal view is that a private visit means its nothing to do with the gardai and nothing to do with me and so they should have to pay/cover at least some of the cost).

Oh I was just informed that she'll also most likely be travelling by helicopter too which means its even more unlikely that she'll be taking any of the several roads that they are searching.

So do they gardai need a search warrent or not to enter my premises?

Finally the gardai who showed up was not wearing a hat? Is it within my rights to refuse entry if they are not wearing full uniform. Not saying I would since I don't want them taking a dislike to us but would be handy to know.

Thanks for your comments guys.
Advertisement
21-04-2011, 11:12   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by knick_knack View Post
Finally the gardai who showed up was not wearing a hat? Is it within my rights to refuse entry if they are not wearing full uniform. Not saying I would since I don't want them taking a dislike to us but would be handy to know.

Thanks for your comments guys.
I bet you never expected to have your house turned over? Not wearing the hat is being polite in this case.
Thanks from:
21-04-2011, 11:21   #3

Suppose the house next door to you decided to let off a bomb as she was passing.

Would you be happy that their house wasn't searched beforehand?
21-04-2011, 11:27   #4
belacqua_

They need to get on the blower to the Met, I know for a fact she's hiding out in a little place off Spur Rd.
21-04-2011, 11:38   #5
moomooman
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Thats a disgrace. I'd happily cause a fuss over that.

Shes welcome to visit anytime she likes but having the Gardai come in and turn over your house is insane or at least would be in a republic like the USA, here it seems anything goes.

Let her take her Helicopter, dog knows she can afford to.
Advertisement
21-04-2011, 11:39   #6
stimpson

To answer the OP's question, they need a warrant to search your house without your consent. You can, of course, consent to a search but you are under no obligation to do so and are protected under section 40 of the constitution.
21-04-2011, 11:41   #7
Kells...

Send a message via Skype™ to Kells...
No I live beside Croke Park and they can fcuk off.I dont bloody care if the Queen is coming.
21-04-2011, 11:46   #8
seamus
Dental Plan!

Send a message via MSN to seamus
Quote:
So do they gardai need a search warrent or not to enter my premises?
Yes they do. But if they ask and you let them in, they don't.

You can refuse, but they'll probably find some way to justify getting a warrant to come in and search your premises if you do.

Easy life, you've nothing to hide, so why make a fuss over letting the Gardai in to look around? It's not like they're going to be rifling through your underwear.

I don't understand this extremist protection of privacy. No, they shouldn't be allowed to turn up at will and fire through your house, but when they have a valid reason just let them got on with their job and stop getting upset over nothing FFS.

The same people who'll be obstructing the Gardai on this and wasting their time are the same ones who'll foam at the mouth about wasting money and resources.
21-04-2011, 11:54   #9
timmywex

Quote:

Finally the gardai who showed up was not wearing a hat? Is it within my rights to refuse entry if they are not wearing full uniform.
I love ridiculous rumours!!
Advertisement
21-04-2011, 11:57   #10
stimpson

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamus View Post
I don't understand this extremist protection of privacy. No, they shouldn't be allowed to turn up at will and fire through your house, but when they have a valid reason just let them got on with their job and stop getting upset over nothing FFS.
If they have a valid reason then they can get a warrant. That is the whole point. If you are not under suspicion you have a constitutional right to the privacy of your own home. Just because Mrs Saxe-Coburg-Gotha is coming to tea doesn't mean you should have your rights trampled on.

Quote:
The same people who'll be obstructing the Gardai on this and wasting their time are the same ones who'll foam at the mouth about wasting money and resources.
I fail to see how getting Gardai to follow procedure is obstruction.
21-04-2011, 11:59   #11

OP - the Queens visit is an official / state visit - it is not a private visit.
21-04-2011, 12:10   #12
Wudyaquit

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmywex View Post
I love ridiculous rumours!!
What's ridiculous about that? I heard the guards have a massive book of evidence on Wayne Dundon, but keep having to let him go because the guard looking after the case doesn't like wearing hats. True story.
21-04-2011, 12:11   #13
seamus
Dental Plan!

Send a message via MSN to seamus
Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpson View Post
If they have a valid reason then they can get a warrant. That is the whole point. If you are not under suspicion you have a constitutional right to the privacy of your own home.
Of course you do. But any decent person with an ounce of common sense would just let them get on with it rather than stamping their feet and blathering on about constitutional rights when there's no need to.

It's a reasonable request from a Garda. A reasonable person would let them just get on with it.
(4) thanks from:
21-04-2011, 12:18   #14
stimpson

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamus View Post
Of course you do. But any decent person with an ounce of common sense would just let them get on with it rather than stamping their feet and blathering on about constitutional rights when there's no need to.
Yeah, if people want to exercise their constitutional rights then the terrorists have already won.
21-04-2011, 12:19   #15
source

It is the state that gives the power to the Garda, not the uniform, Gardai have the exact same power out of uniform as they do when in full uniform.

As for the poster who mentioned the US, Have you seen what they do when they move their own president around? It's a lot more invasive than a local police coming around for a look. Up to and including welding manhole covers shut. Oh and my favourite, telling people not to come to work that day.....no reason given just don't be here when the president is.

Last edited by source; 21-04-2011 at 12:24.
Thanks from:
Thread Closed