Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

06-04-2011, 10:44   #16
seyeM

I wouldn't be suprised to see a WW2 based expansion to BF3 at some stage, which is probably why BF1943 is on ice.

A bit late but i'd like to know if:

- The chopper maneuverability and control system from Battlefield 2 is coming back (BC2's sucked ass).
- Proper joystick support.
- The game has lan support/mod tools/public server files
- Is Battlerecorder back? Do they plan to implement a first person spectator mode (i.e. seeing exactly what the player being spectated sees..usable in demos too ala counterstrike). Previously it has been restricted to free look and third person.
- How does the squad system work (hopefully 6 man squads with members only able to spawn on the squad leader..)
Advertisement
06-04-2011, 12:26   #17
Blazer

I'd like to know what Jets are in this game and how big some of the maps are.
Another thing is lan support.
I think a lot of my other concerns have been called out above.
06-04-2011, 21:06   #18
DeVore
The monster's daddy!

Ok, so they didnt let us near the machines to play it as its pre-alpha code (and even in the demo it crashed occasionally).

Also, they wouldnt talk about certain aspects. (boooo)

And they have embargoed the whole world from talking about until the 8th (Friday). So, until then, all I can really say is "wow... it looks awesome and I seriously think I might play this".

I have answers to some of your questions but they were quite tight lipped but I'll tell you what I know come Friday.

DeV.
Thanks from:
06-04-2011, 21:17   #19
Spear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeVore View Post
Ok, so they didnt let us near the machines to play it as its pre-alpha code (and even in the demo it crashed occasionally).

Also, they wouldnt talk about certain aspects. (boooo)

And they have embargoed the whole world from talking about until the 8th (Friday). So, until then, all I can really say is "wow... it looks awesome and I seriously think I might play this".

I have answers to some of your questions but they were quite tight lipped but I'll tell you what I know come Friday.

DeV.
Regrettable but predictable behaviour by them. I had hoped it was in a better, more playable state by now though.
06-04-2011, 22:57   #20
Kiith

They've 7 months till it's released, so there's plenty of time.
Advertisement
07-04-2011, 02:19   #21
DeVore
The monster's daddy!

I really dont want to break any embargoes but I will say that as someone with 20 years of coding/project management, I wouldnt be concerned about the state of the code.

I'll say more on Friday... or more likely midnight today

DeV.
07-04-2011, 12:19   #22
BULLER

Quote:
I really dont want to break any embargoes but I will say that as someone with 20 years of coding/project management, I wouldnt be concerned about the state of the code.

I'll say more on Friday... or more likely midnight today

DeV.
Ah gowan!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDVCW...eature=related

Last edited by BULLER; 07-04-2011 at 12:22.
08-04-2011, 11:01   #23
karma_
Banned

Right, it's Friday, spit it out.
Thanks from:
08-04-2011, 15:25   #24
DeVore
The monster's daddy!

It looks awesome. if you could make a game out of Black Hawk Down, it would look like this.

So, specific answers.

Yes there is an extensive singleplayer campaign.

Its developed with the Frostbite2 engine and it was developed for the PC. The xbox version has been scrunched down. In fact one of the techs was telling me that when they first tried it on 360, it would barely render a single player object before optimisation.

Snipers are in it but i didnt get to see any play as them.

There is regenerating health like Halo.

Here's the shocker.... no dedicated LAN support. The lan has to have connection out to the interweb. He said would you be able to rent dedicated servers, "like before" ... which i hope makes sense to you.

I asked about commander mode and they all clammed up and wouldnt say anything. I doubt you will see it as one head guy did say "it was only 2 out of 128 people, its a lot of work for that"... but i expect some new tactical and strategic elements to MP because there was something they werent telling us.

They wouldnt say a lot about MP and certainly wouldnt answer questions about mods squads, mostly they wanted to show off the pretty pictures which were... in fairness... pretty.

There was one thing I loved, their destruction physics are amazing, you can tear down a 5 storey hotel to the ground, to rubble, or you can blow about a 1/6th of a breezeblock away from a wall to get a shot or to reveal an enemy in cover.

If we get another invite in the fall (as we sometimes do) I'll try to get a BF mod over to it, we've done it before for driving games mods. This was much more than BF though, i got to see and play Portal 2(awesome, gonna be huge!) and tons of other stuff.

DeV
(5) thanks from:
Advertisement
08-04-2011, 15:35   #25
Spear

Quote:
as one head guy did say "it was only 2 out of 128 people, its a lot of work for that"
Are you very sure about the numbers in that quote? It has interesting implications if so.

Quote:
If we get another invite in the fall (as we sometimes do) I'll try to get a BF mod over to it, we've done it before for driving games mods.
EA is a client of my employer, if that helps smooth things.
08-04-2011, 15:39   #26

Quote:
I doubt you will see it as one head guy did say "it was only 2 out of 128 people, its a lot of work for that"... but i expect some new tactical and strategic elements to MP because there was something they werent telling us.
Wait.. isnt MP 32vs32 on PC?
08-04-2011, 15:46   #27
Shiminay

It's worth noting that if it's Frostbite, there won't be any Mods as the engine doesn't really support them (so the Senior Producer of MoH told me). Bit disappointing that, there were some really fun mods for BF2.

If they're talking about 64 vs 64, then that surely makes the need for a central team commander all the more important?

No LAN/Dedicated Server support (renting servers does not count unless you can rent someone to come along to your LAN and run it for you) is typical of pretty much every game now and it's a disgrace tbh. F**k you consoles
(2) thanks from:
08-04-2011, 16:01   #28

Quote:
There is regenerating health like Halo.DeV
nnnnnnnoooooooooo

looks like Battlefield has been consolized, its going to be more BC2\COD than BF2

Last edited by Auvers; 08-04-2011 at 16:05.
08-04-2011, 16:16   #29
Korvanica

Send a message via MSN to Korvanica
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auvers View Post
nnnnnnnoooooooooo

looks like Battlefield has been consolized, its going to be more BC2\COD than BF2
Hardcore mode doesn't have regenerating health in BC2..

Just play hardcore mode...
08-04-2011, 16:23   #30
DeVore
The monster's daddy!

It sure looked like BF2 ... lots of tanks, APC's, jets...They acknowledged jets would be in there but didnt say what kind... they did talk about how tricky it had been to balance jets against infantry and the answer was illuminating. They said if they had made it realistic, the ground forces havent a chance, as in real life, so they explicitly recognised that they were making a game, not a simulator which meant to be precise and representative... while games should be fun and enjoyable so they were clear that realism in the numbers was sacraficed for enjoyability and entertainment. Which in my mind is a GOOD thing.

DeV.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion