Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

ALERT for strong winds 30-31st March

• 30-03-2011 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Coming from MTC's forescast ,

"A rapidly developing frontal wave currently located well out to the west of Ireland will race past Mayo and Donegal tonight and produce locally strong wind gusts in northwest Ireland from the south to southwest peaking at about 65-70 mph (110 km/h) between midnight and 0300h (early hours of Thursday 31st). Winds over most other parts of Ireland will peak about the same time at speeds of about 40-50 mph (80 km/h). Watch for further updates as we track this disturbance closely during its approach.

Forecasts

TODAY will start out rather wet as a band of heavy showers moves steadily northeast, to be followed by variable cloudiness and mild conditions on moderate SW winds 20-40 mph. Highs will reach 13-15 C. Today's rainfall amounts (largely received already in the west) will amount to 5-10 mms. Due to the long dry spell and a buildup of oily material on roads, some roads will be unexpectedly slippery. Caution advised. Some sunshine will break through at times later, then further showers are likely to develop, some with thunder and hail by late in the day.

TONIGHT
    will be windy and in some parts stormy as winds increase to SSW 40-60 mph (see alert above). Very strong gusts may develop in coastal and higher parts of the northwest, around midnight to 0300h. All other regions will become quite windy too (35-50 mph). Some showers with hail and thunder will mark a fast-moving frontal system. Minor wind damage is possible. Lows will be around 7-9 C.

Then Comparing To Met Éireann's : Today will be mostly dry and bright with some sunny spells developing. However, further rain will push into the far southwest by evening. Top temperatures of 12 to 15 degrees.
    Tonight

Tonight rain will become widespread and heavy for a time, then clearing to showers later in the night. It will be mild with lowest temperatures between 7 and 10 degrees in fresh and gusty south to southwest winds.

Tomorrow, Thursday will be cloudy with showers, but some bright or sunny spells will develop later. It will be rather windy with fresh and gusty, occasionally strong southwest winds. Remaining mild with top temperatures between 12 and 16 degrees.

Who's gonna be right this time?........

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Met Eireann gives Dublin forecasts , not Western forecasts. Of COURSE they will be wrong. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mountainy man

Starting to get a few gusts out of the dead calm here, I believe in M.T.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,268 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

I think to be fair we were both expecting about the same sort of thing but as there has been such dead calm weather for weeks, I thought I would highlight this more for the surprise factor than anything else. The wind speeds are not likely to be too spectacular, but it will get gusty. No big deal.

Anyway, it's just about there now, can see the front in satellite imagery just off the west coast now. Oh right, nobody's up anyway ... we'll talk about it in the morning maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭Shlippery

I'm living near Jury's Inn in Galway and its' certainly windy here...the noise outside is wrecking my head!

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭monster1

Didn't know about this, was just woken there by it, wheelie bin and everything else being blown around the place, very windy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

The wind speeds are not likely to be too spectacular, but it will get gusty. No big deal.

Gusting up to 70mph (113 Km/h) at Mace Head on the 6am reports & 58mph (93km/h) at Claremorris.

http://www.met.ie/latest/reports.asp

Mad windy here too; a whole lotta clatteing 'n' banging goin' on out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Timfy

Highest gust recorded so far today at Leenane, Co. Galway is 61.5mph. this was at 03:45
    click HERE for weather station

No trees were harmed in the posting of this message, however a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Some vicious gusts here in the North Dublin area.

Didn't see that coming, and the charts didn't look too bad.

Gusts frequently above 60mph here for a few minutes there, deck chairs et al everywhere.

Trees were really bending.

Seems to have died for a moment now.

edit:

strange, still windy but the severe 5-10 minutes has abated. It was really quite vicious for that period.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Gusts here atm of 80km/h, started to get bad here at 7am.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Just got woken up by all the wind! Didn't expect it to be this windy in Dublin!
    I wonder if therell be any trees damaged...

I shall check the news when I get up.

But for now ..... I'm gonna try sleeps for another hour! Ha :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Iancar29 wrote: »
    I wonder if therell be any trees damaged...

Lots of reports of trees down all over the country on AA Roadwatch.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Storm 10

I recorded 70 mph on my machine this morning, trees down a large German cargo ship gone aground on rocks off Rossaveal Co Galway, this was never forecast by Met Eireann.

Ship blown onto the rocks in Rossaveal harbour when the anchor did not hold in the storm. I bet that Captain loves Met Éireann :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Had a wind battering last night and I was positive it had rained massively. My rain gauge was empty and others nearby are showing tiny amount of rain.

So did it rain at all, the ground was damp this AM but no water pooling but it really sounded like it was lashing.

I did not hear the sea area forecast but the nine o clock weather was the normal Dublin Weather cack :(

http://www.rte.ie/player/#v=1095238

slide to precisly 24:10 minutes after the initial ads. The only real wind report was the jet stream positioning over the next week/ temperature implications.

Last night was to be "wet and windy" "and "gale force 8 in sea areas" was the extent of it and no tight isobars shown and a quick Gale marker off Cork ...not Galway.

Seems it was Force 8 over land ...not teh same thing at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭squonk

I'm in Galway city and didn't notice the wind being that strong at all. It was getting breezy when I hit for bed around 12 and I went to sleep at 1 and there wasn't much in the way of wind then either. Coming to work this morning was breezy btu nothing dramtic! I feel I'm somewhere else given all these reports and I've noticed none of it!

It was clattering down at 1am and the wind/stuff flying woke me at around 6am but had abated noticeably by 8am.

I was woken here in Galway up by the wind around 5am.

Also a cargo ship the Pantanal ran aground in Connemara.

It looks like a big boat.
    Pantanal-711808.jpg
    http://www.vesseltracker.com/en/Ships/Pantanal-9316579.html
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0331/connemara.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Woken up around 5 -5:30 in Galway as well by the noise.
    Really windy around that time but then eased off pretty quickly and it's pretty calm this morning.
    What was a bit odd was that the skies were clear when the wind was at its worst, the stars were twinkling away at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭RoisinD

Had strong winds here in North west Clare - gusting to mid 60's (mph) with strong sustained winds as well. Strongest winds were from around 4-6 am.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

Blackrock, Co. Dublin
    2300 last night - put the bins out, positively balmy, no wind
    0730 this morning - green bin lid blown open, paper everywhere

I remember seeing the title of this thread yesterday and not reading it because I was thinking to myself . . . . sure there's no wind, this must be another of these "will it snow/be a storm ?" threads.

I should have read it really, shouldn't I ?

z

So it was gusting to near STORM force OVER land ...not just to GALE force in SEA areas which is what Met Eireann/Evelyn Cusack told us last night per my link above :(

beaufort_scale.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Aiel

Very stormy in Galway City last night,was intense for a couple of hours before quickly fading away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

The wind speeds are not likely to be too spectacular, but it will get gusty. No big deal.

Pretty much spot on MT :) Here in Galway city, in a less exposed location, the strongest winds occurred between 4.40am and 5.20am with gusts up to 74.3 km/h recorded.

It seems it was a tad breezier in less urban areas of the county
    Gusting up to 70mph (113 Km/h) at Mace Head on the 6am reports & 58mph (93km/h) at Claremorris.

http://www.met.ie/latest/reports.asp

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Was a bit windy overnight but nothing remotely special about it. Max gust was 47km/h, the stats don't lie ;)

Met Eireann on Galway Bay FM this morning and she said that what they "Think Happened" was the wind was Southerly and veered Westerly as a front moved in causing the winds to increase to over 100 kph.

You have to laugh at this what we "think happened" remark, as a previous poster remarked there is one very unhappy German Captain of a cargo ship aground off Galway today.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,268 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

The strong winds were the result of the addition of forces basically from a moderate wind gradient that ordinarily might have peaked at 30-40 mph gusts but a forward motion of the system itself at about 60 mph. Friction takes some of that added velocity away, but the wind gusts were a lot stronger than the weather system's appearance on the charts. Surf on the west coast should be interesting today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Storm 10 wrote: »
    large German cargo ship gone aground on rocks off Rossaveal Co Galway, this was never forecast by Met Eireann.

Shame on met eireann for not forecasting that a german ship would run aground off the coast. :rolleyes:

Maybe I was hearing things last night when I was watching Evelyn's forecast, but I do recall her saying there would be gales at sea? How does that equate to met eireann not forecasting this event? :confused:

153549.JPG

Shame on met eireann for not forecasting that a german ship would run aground off the coast. :rolleyes:

Maybe I was hearing things last night when I was watching Evelyn's forecast, but I do recall her saying there would be gales at sea? How does that equate to met eireann not forecasting this event? :confused:

153549.JPG

deep easterly, no one said anything about a gale this was storm force winds which happened, they said on Galway Bay FM the winds gusted over 100 kph, a gale is not going to push a ship aground only storm force winds which I am sure if the Captain was aware off he would have rode the storm out at sea as they do.

• Advertisement

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    So it was gusting to near STORM force OVER land ...not just to GALE force in SEA areas which is what Met Eireann/Evelyn Cusack told us last night per my link above :(

I repeat!!! At Sea is off the coast. Furthermore that graphic of hers ( it was only on the screen for a few second where the jet stream cack was on the screen for AGES actually shows the south coast getting clattered by a southerly gale not the west coast getting clattered by a westerly storm .

Advertisement