Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

21-02-2011, 23:28   #1
rorymcgrory

Ripped up my polling card. Not voting

For the first time since I turned 18 I will not be voting.

I refuse to vote for FG/labour or Sinn Fein. Watched the frontline and having heard independents was last straw. No vote from me.

Anyone else feel like this?
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
21-02-2011, 23:38   #2
Jackovarian

Sure, but at the end of the day there are other options out there, even if the Irish media only feeds you the usuals.

No excuse not to vote.
21-02-2011, 23:40   #3
hotmail.com

If you change your mind you can still vote without the polling card by going to the polling station with photo ID.

However, it is perfectly fair and is your right not to vote and no one can say otherwise.
21-02-2011, 23:46   #4
Drumpot

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorymcgrory View Post
For the first time since I turned 18 I will not be voting.

I refuse to vote for FG/labour or Sinn Fein. Watched the frontline and having heard independents was last straw. No vote from me.

Anyone else feel like this?
That is your right but it basically means you are putting the responsibility on others to choose the next government. .

As far as I am concerned if there is one thing more irresponsible then voting for a clown, its not voting at all. If healy Rae or another useless candidate gets in because people choose not to vote then the responsibility is just as much in your court as it is in those who voted them in. . Not just that, I presume you wont be on boards.ie moaning about the poor decisions our next government will invariably make on some issues.

At the very least, vote for the candidate who represents your principles and beliefs most.
21-02-2011, 23:51   #5
Black Briar
Closed Account

Libya anyone?

Refusing to vote is a foolish thing to do.

True most people are going for fg and labour,what on earth is wrong with that option?
If they don't do what they promise and they will get a chance from me,then I'll start to sigh.
Contact me in 5 yrs.
(5) thanks from:
Advertisement
21-02-2011, 23:56   #6
gandalf

I agree with the above if you don't bother to vote then you better not complain over the next 5 years about who is voted in.

We were saddled with 14 years of FF led Governments to disaster because a large proportion of this countries citizens were too lazy to vote. This is a privilege that was won with spilt blood in the early half of the 20th century in this country and a right that is being currently defended by those in North Africa right now.

As someone said you have between now and Friday to educate yourself on your options and to vote for whoever comes closest to your own opinions.
22-02-2011, 00:09   #7
Ddad

I think we often forget what it means to have a vote. It's not so long ago that our ancestors fought and died for that privilege.

There's a lot of pain and blood invested in a voting card. The only thing worse than casting an ill considered vote is not casting one. That's one of the things that got us here.
(5) thanks from:
22-02-2011, 00:14   #8
johnmcdnl

if their all that bad then surely you'd have done a better job if you'd bothered to run for election...

are you honestly saying that their wasn't even 1 candidate that was worth voting for...

in other countries they rebel and fight and wish they had the opportunity to vote - and this is what you do when you have democracy...
22-02-2011, 00:19   #9
PulsW

If you don't have a party or person you want to give your vote to, why don't you vote in relation to who you really don't want to give your vote to.

You say that you "refuse to vote for FG/labour or Sinn Fein", well if you refuse to vote, for example, Sinn Fein more than Fine Gael, then you could employ tactical voting so that your vote defiantly doesn't go to Sinn Fein.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
22-02-2011, 00:20   #10
mikemac
Closed Account

The only candidate in Ireland who will agree with you totally on every issue is yourself.
Maybe have a go next time for the local elections in a few years

For now, the rest of your constituency will decide for you.
There is no perfect candidate but they'll find the best they can
22-02-2011, 00:26   #11
spiralism

Quote:
Originally Posted by feelingstressed View Post
The only candidate in Ireland who will agree with you totally on every issue is yourself.
Maybe have a go next time for the local elections in a few years

For now, the rest of your constituency will decide for you.
There is no perfect candidate but they'll find the best they can

What this fella said.

You have no right to complain about anything that happens under the incoming government now as you refused to even vote in the election and the rest of your constituency had their say

I mean, even vote for an independent that you share views with, don't just throw your vote away like...
22-02-2011, 00:28   #12
hotmail.com

Just because he/she doesn't want to vote doesn't mean that he/she hasn't got a right to complain about issues.
22-02-2011, 00:33   #13
spiralism

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotmail.com View Post
Just because he/she doesn't want to vote doesn't mean that he/she hasn't got a right to complain about issues.
but if they chose not to have a say when it matters most, what is the point of them trying to have a say when it doesn't?

I'm ok with people not voting because they don't understand or haven't been sufficiently educated of the issues in question but imo people not voting because of some reason like "ahh they're all crooks if you ask me, no point in voting for anyone, hate the lot of them", it just comes across as a wee bit ignorant...

at the end of the day, it's the future of the country we're talking about, wouldn't kill anybody to try and have their say or they come across as a hypocrite if they give out about what the government does, as far as I'm concerned

Last edited by spiralism; 22-02-2011 at 00:35.
22-02-2011, 00:37   #14
zig

I think voting should be compulsory with a none of the above option. It wouldnt make a difference but it would give us true figures of what peoples views are, it would also force people to make a decision if they were slightly unsure and were not too bothered about voting.
22-02-2011, 00:38   #15
invinciblePRSTV
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotmail.com View Post
Indeed. For a whole host of reasons people choose not to exercise their ballot, as is their right. The OP clearly doesn't wish to commit his vote as he isn't convinced by the options presented to him, and can you blame him? All Irish political parties come with considerable baggage and the Indo's can be an eccentric bunch.
(3) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion