Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Another Question on Quads

Options
  • 20-02-2011 11:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭

I'm still looking at quads. Have followed people's advice and have been looking at Honda's, Suzuki's and Yamaha's (but mostly honda's).

Have visited a few dealers and have a few more to visit. For those of you with quads, what's the deal on hours? I have seen several quads with between 30 and 200 hours. One with 120 hours had 800km on it. Another with 55 hours on it had 1700km? I haven't a clue about them. What would you regard as an "as new" quad? How many hours/KM on a quad till you would need to be putting parts into it like brakes, bearings or bushings?? What's the service interval on your quad - do you service it yourself, bring it back to dealer or would a good car mechanic be capable of servicing? What does a service involve?

I'm looking for a 400cc + quad, 4wd. I have a budget of EUR4k. (might be persuaded to stretch to Eur5k). Can anyone advise on what I should be looking at or give me links to ones for sale??

Can quads be clocked?????????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭MOC1972

Hi quads can be given a very hard time driven hard not serviced people
    will stop the clocks when I was buying my quad Honda were coming out with a new model and I was told after a lot of research that the older
    450 foreman was way ahead of the newer stuff.
    It has been easy to use easy to service I got my quad from a dealer in the
    north and he will find what you want most with history I got all the origanal books heated grips and new tyres filters oil and plenty of adivce
    In the uk people with estates will have more than one quad and they will
    be driven right serviced and cleaned after use.
    I have been away and not started my one for 6 months charged the battery and away she went very little electronics.
    Hope this helps:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭ihatetractors

We have a Honda fourtrax with 11k km on it going well, get it serviced once a year with a mechanic usualy put on 2300-2500km a year never too much hardship

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

ive noticed our quads would usually do about 10 times the amount of km as hrs,usually trade them with 15,000km an the clock every 2-3 years.
    usually service every second time our selves, and do all bushings and bearings, brakes our selves, dont touch the engine.
    current honda 420 with 13000km on the clock is due brakes and tires all round, has had all back axle and front redone, it dosent have and easy life though. probally should have been traded sooner, but the last few years werent the best for free cash. if they were still doing the 0% finance i would change in the morning.
    the old 350 was a thougher bike only fault with it was it was permanent 4wd.
    dont think any other makes are any better than hondas when it comes to workhorses, other makes are more fun to play with, but dont take the hardship as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

I bought a honda foreman from uk environmental agency 100 hrs on clock and it was imaculate... honda engine they reckon change oil evey 100 hrs and clean out air system and spark arrester in exhaust system every now and again and they grand:)

Sorry it cost me 3k and i was advised to go for manual gears (toe flick - less hassle/ stuff to go wrong)

Bodacious wrote: »
    I bought a honda foreman from uk environmental agency 100 hrs on clock and it was imaculate... honda engine they reckon change oil evey 100 hrs and clean out air system and spark arrester in exhaust system every now and again and they grand:)

Sorry it cost me 3k and i was advised to go for manual gears (toe flick - less hassle/ stuff to go wrong)

+1 electric shift keeps acting up, plus it is a nuisance when spot spraying

• Advertisement

dar31 wrote: »
    +1 electric shift keeps acting up, plus it is a nuisance when spot spraying

Another reason was my auld lad think he was a honda boy racer in his day loves the gears:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

I'm no help to you Reilig as I've no experience of them. So maybe I shouldn't be posting .......... but I will:D

It just seems to me from what I'm reading on here, that quads are a costly piece of machinery. They seem to cost alot to buy a good one (which will probably mean having to buy a new one) AND an owner of one seems to want deep pockets to pay for their maintenance and up keep.

They seem to be the Irishman's horse, I couldn't see a Texas cowboy looking at them!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Muckit wrote: »
    I'm no help to you Reilig as I've no experience of them. So maybe I shouldn't be posting .......... but I will:D

It just seems to me from what I'm reading on here, that quads are a costly piece of machinery. They seem to cost alot to buy a good one (which will probably mean having to buy a new one) AND an owner of one seems to want deep pockets to pay for their maintenance and up keep.

They seem to be the Irishman's horse, I couldn't see a Texas cowboy looking at them!! :D

Purely from my perspective, a quad would be invaluable over our land. Tractors are great, but even our 35 would either do too much damage, be dangerous, or simply not go where we'd need it to.

Quads will:
    Carry stock & materials such as wire, stakes, fert, feed, hay, etc.
    Quad can spray, spread, harrow (ish)
    Saves the legs checking or gathering stock if the land is suitable...

List of uses and pluses are endless.

But, if the persons land is trafficable by tractors or jeeps as a matter of course, I see no great advantage in having one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Went to a dealer today to look at Honda Quads. 420's are coming in at around Eur 4200 for a 07 or 08 with 150 to 200 hours. There's no moving on that price. I could buy off donedeal for 200 or 300 less but I'd have no warranty and no dealer backup. Honda 500's are coming in at about 5k for the same years and hours. He offered me a Yamaha Grizzly 400 (2008 model) with 70 hours on it at Eur 2800 to include a 6 month warranty. Am I mad to consider it. I know that the resale value of Yamaha isn't as good as Honda, but I plan on keeping the thing till its dead. What are the Yamaha Quads like for reliability???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

reilig wrote: »
    Went to a dealer today to look at Honda Quads. 420's are coming in at around Eur 4200 for a 07 or 08 with 150 to 200 hours. There's no moving on that price. I could buy off donedeal for 200 or 300 less but I'd have no warranty and no dealer backup. Honda 500's are coming in at about 5k for the same years and hours. He offered me a Yamaha Grizzly 400 (2008 model) with 70 hours on it at Eur 2800 to include a 6 month warranty. Am I mad to consider it. I know that the resale value of Yamaha isn't as good as Honda, but I plan on keeping the thing till its dead. What are the Yamaha Quads like for reliability???

have a kodiak 450 2006 model, they are called grizzly now , probably a fairly similar bike, bought mine on ebay in 08 and ive no problem since, i just actually brought it in for service today for first time so will see what they say after taking a look at it. im very happy with it anyway, sucj an easy bike to ride, 4wd at push of button, has independent rear suspension and seems to have loads of power, like your self i wont be trading, honda is honda i suppose and cant be faulted but 2800 is good value for a bike with so few hrs, look up 400 on youtube, no doubt there is a 1000 videos of redneck yanks doing their best to break it, you should get a fair idea of its capability there
    by the way i heard once that coillte had changed all their quads to yamaha, not sure how true it was

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Did ya buy it in the end?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

very difference between yamaha and honda in terms of reliability , honda are IMO a little bit stronger built though but are also uglier to ride IMO , id have no qualms about buying a yamaha

johngalway wrote: »
    Did ya buy it in the end?

Its all over. Bought a honda 500 last night. Its a 08 model, manual, has 600 hours on it, new tyres, never had a ball hitch on it and absolutely spotless and fully serviced. Cost me €4200. Decided to go that extra little bit for extra power. Also looking at honda quads on donedeal that are 10 to 15 years old - anything that is well minded is still selling for good money. Made me think twice about buying any model other than the honda. Getting it this evening so hopefully it will work well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Well did you come in off it yet? No sleeping out in the shed now :p Best of luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭djmc

with all this talk of quads I want one too now:o

Muckit wrote: »
    Well did you come in off it yet? No sleeping out in the shed now :p Best of luck with it!

Got it earlier and had it out for an hour but It'll take a while to get used to. Half day tomorrow so I'll test it then.

Lads, who among ye have one of these 500 or 420 honda's?? I haven't a clue about the clutching and I'm afraid I'm making a mess of it.
    Its a manual quad. Gears are changed by foot using the pedal on the right hand side. The brochure for it says that it has an auto clutch??? Is the clutch lever not the lever on the Right side handlebars???????? Or is this a brake??? What's the proceedure for shifting gears. Do I need to clutch when I am moving up or down gears or do I just move the pedal up and down without clutching or will this burn out the clutch?????

I've only ever driven 1 other quad which was an auto

Got it earlier and had it out for an hour but It'll take a while to get used to. Half day tomorrow so I'll test it then.

Lads, who among ye have one of these 500 or 420 honda's?? I haven't a clue about the clutching and I'm afraid I'm making a mess of it.
    Its a manual quad. Gears are changed by foot using the pedal on the right hand side. The brochure for it says that it has an auto clutch??? Is the clutch lever not the lever on the Right side handlebars???????? Or is this a brake??? What's the proceedure for shifting gears. Do I need to clutch when I am moving up or down gears or do I just move the pedal up and down without clutching or will this burn out the clutch?????

no clutch what so ever, just let off the revs a little and shift up or down.
    better buy a few jenny cans for the 500 or you will be to the pumps every other day.

ive managed to wear out a lot of things on our quads but have never had to touch the clutches in them.

guess what will give in, in the morning:o

Good man Reilig, well wear :) 500 manual you wont go wrong.. loads of power there.

Auto clutch = No clutch - when changing the Only thing you have to do is kill the revs and up with the toe - left foot it should be though, foot brake should be on right when seated on her

better buy a few jenny cans for the 500 or you will be to the pumps every other day.

ive managed to wear out a lot of things on our quads but have never had to touch the clutches in them.

I just had her away there getting both front wheel bearings done but im told this is common enough in Hondas did you experience this also? Guy told me its the muck getting in at the front of her:mad:

Thanks for the info guys. Bodacious, you're right, my mistake, the gears are at the left foot.

What is the lever on the right handlebar so? Is it a brake??? I thought it was a clutch????

• Advertisement

you just gave her the kiss of death alright :D

Thanks for the info guys. Bodacious, you're right, my mistake, the gears are at the left foot.

What is the lever on the right handlebar so? Is it a brake??? I thought it was a clutch????

one is probably front and the other rear brakes reilig, just let her idle on hill and move off gently and test them seperately
    did the lad that sold it not give you a few pointers
    best of luck with it anyway and stay off the side hills till you get used to it

one is probably front and the other rear brakes reilig, just let her idle on hill and move off gently and test them seperately
    did the lad that sold it not give you a few pointers
    best of luck with it anyway and stay off the side hills till you get used to it

I got a friend to come with me who is a mechanic and has some experience of bikes. He checked it out before we bought it and brought it for a spin and said that it was perfect. So I didn't even ride it. He collected it for me yesterday too. So it was just there at the house for me to figure out last night.

Great day for trying out the new machine:D

Right hand lever is front brake i think

Left hand is rear brake and red button down and engage lever and toe down past neutral for reverse if its the same as mine.

Only thing i kept doing was not being able to start her as wasnt poperly in neutral sometime you have to rock forward or back in seat to get into neutral:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 29 zitaron

Right is front brake
    Left is back brake - as is right hand foot pedal
    Be sure to change the oil every 100 HOURS or 800kms
    Drain the diffs and replace with fresh gear oil every 2 years.
    Keep tyres soft 3.2 psi.
    Use a funnel with a strainer in it when filling petrol.
    Yamaha or Honda will both do the job. As will some Suzukis (but their back up has all but disappeared from Ireland). You usually get a bit more value with a used Yam.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭C0N0R

Bodacious wrote: »
    Great day for trying out the new machine:D

Right hand lever is front brake i think

Left hand is rear brake and red button down and engage lever and toe down past neutral for reverse if its the same as mine.

Only thing i kept doing was not being able to start her as wasnt poperly in neutral sometime you have to rock forward or back in seat to get into neutral:cool:

I know on one of the Honda bikes we have here is you pull the right hand brake and try starting it then you can start it while in gear, makes like a hell of alot easier.

C0N0R wrote: »
    I know on one of the Honda bikes we have here is you pull the right hand brake and try starting it then you can start it while in gear, makes like a hell of alot easier.

All a matter of getting used of her i suppose but i was stumped on day 1 why she wouldnt start:confused: Young neighbour wasnt long shouting across the field at me " rock her a bit it must be still in gear! :) Right he was!!

I have it over a week now. I drive it every day for an hour or 2. The old man uses it to look at the sheep every day and to bring meal to cattle and stuff. I filled the tank on day 1 and to be honest, when I checked it yesterday evening, it is still only 2 inches from the top and the gauge reads full. Its very easy on fuel compared to what I thought it would be.

It will be getting a proper test at the weekend. I have willow hedges to coppace for a neighbour on bogland and I'll be pulling out each tree with the quad in order to saw off the branches and saw up the useable logs for my boiler.

Bodacious - I have also found that she won't start when not in neutral and she needs a little rock over an back to get it out of gear sometimes.

But so far so good. I'm very happy with my purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 zitaron

Get into the habit of dropping it to neutral when you stop - good practice .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Glad to hear you're happy with it Reilg.

And good to hear the updates. Interested to hear how it works out for you. I guess am especially interested in how it performs fuel economy wise...

I dont have one now, but am planning to get one sometime... Next year at the earliest tho...

Best o luck with it anyways.

Advertisement