Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

04-02-2011, 16:18   #1

Introducing http://www.boards.ie/vote

Could all of us on Boards.ie predict how the country will vote in the General Election?

Given the size of Boards.ie - 2.225 million unique visitors in January 2011, over 415,000 members registered, over 190,900 active, and over 28,700 people having posted on the site over 128,500 times in the last 7 days - we thought it would be interesting to see just how accurate we could be.

We've put together http://www.boards.ie/vote to see just how this might work.

Our election simulator invites all Boards.ie members to place a vote as they will in the General Election for candidates and parties. Only Boards.ie members can use the site.

You can vote for your candidates, decide to spoil your vote or just let us know you're undecided. We'll total the votes in the same way as it will be in the General Election (the Droop quota method and the Single Transferable Vote system of Proportional Representation) and update the results every hour.

We'll also be allowing people to check the Latest National Results and see who's doing well in their local constituency.

Coupled with our general election discussions and other innovations we hope to introduce , we're hoping this will remind people of the importance of having a vote and using it.

WHERE HAS ALL THE DATA COME FROM?

The simulator went live at 16:00 on Friday 4 Feb, 2011. We've been testing out our first go at this with our moderators over the last couple of days. All of our information is public information, uploaded with thanks to TheJournal.ie

HOW ACCURATE IS IT?

While we hope it will be fairly representative, we are realistic in terms of accuracies. Some Boards.ie members who vote in this may not actually be eligible to vote in the actual election.

We also know some people may go to the trouble of registering duplicate accounts to game the system. We'll do our best to monitor the site and identify offenders, but because this is the first time we've done this, it's difficult to predict what the results will be.

IS MY VOTE PRIVATE?

Details of your votes or preferences are NOT available to any members, moderators, Administrators or the Community Managers of Boards.ie, nor to any political parties, partners, advertisers or affiliates.

It will not be recorded on your public profile. It is recorded in our database in the same way as PM's and Private Forum messages, only accessible by our technical team.

HOW CAN I CONTACT YOU?

We'd love to hear any constructive feedback you have. If you need to contact us, just post below or drop us a line at hello@boards.ie and we'll do our best to help.

If you spot any errors or omissions, please let us know here.

Your support, help and input is appreciated

Last edited by Darragh; 04-02-2011 at 17:34.
(116) thanks from:
a5y, Aard, acalmenvoy, Asphyxia, aspiewriter, banshee_bones, Basq, bastados, Beau, bigtuna, Blowfish, bmaxi, Boxoffrogs, Brendan97, Brussels Sprout, carfiosaoorl, Cat Melodeon, Cathmandooo, Cheap Thrills!, ChocolateSauce, Cian92, Clinker, connewitz, CorkMan, Corsendonk, CorsetIsTight, county man, Crow92, CrowdedHouse, Daftendirekt, dambarude, davetherave, Davidth88, Degag, dilallio, Dozen Wicked Words, drkpower, drunk_monk, DrZeuss, ejmaztec, Eliot Rosewater, Eph1958, Focalbhach, foxinsox, freewheeler, GeneHunt, goldie fish, Goodshape, Greenman, grumpygit, G_R, hellboy99, Hogzy, hoplite, Insect Overlord, ironictoaster, Is mise le key, jank, jhegarty, jkforde, jonski, Joseph, joulter, JP Liz V1, juke, karl tyrrell, katzenjammer, kevin12345, Leiva, limklad, livinginkorea, Lockstep, Lucious Sweet, Ludo, MagicMarker, Mel fan, moceri, monkeypants, mozzypuffs, My name is URL, Nehaxak, nesf, niallo76, nkay1985, Nuri Sahin, Oasis_Dublin, Odaise Gaelach, omerin, OuterBombie, pablomakaveli, Pappa Dolla, Pauleta, peterako, rainbowtrout, RedorDead, Rubik., sceptre, sdanseo, Sea Devils, seamus, Shelflife, SilverBell, Sir Oxman, skearon, Skrynesaver, Sparks43, starviewadams, stock>, stop, stwome01, Vorsprung, wmpdd3, xTanyax, yoshytoshy, Zubeneschamali, _Bella_
Advertisement
04-02-2011, 16:25   #2
NSNO

Okay.... this is brilliant
Thanks from:
04-02-2011, 16:28   #3
Sir Oxman

Hi Darragh, great idea!

One thing though, at the moment I can vote in mine and then go and vote in Mayo if I want, I know then the Mayo vote will only be counted but it would be more realistic to lock each member to their initial constituiency which in all likelihood, would be their actual constituency.

Anyway, nice idea.
Thanks from:
04-02-2011, 16:28   #4
Degag

Nice one!
Thanks from:
04-02-2011, 16:29   #5
gerrycollins

watch the media use this all the way to the election
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
04-02-2011, 16:32   #6

Looks great
Thanks from:
04-02-2011, 16:38   #7
dilallio

Fantastic idea and well designed application.
Thanks from:
04-02-2011, 16:39   #8
looksee
This is a brilliant idea, and I am very glad to see the candidates in my constituencey displayed as they will be on the polling card. I will go through their profiles and make a more informed decision than I usually do!
(2) thanks from:
04-02-2011, 16:40   #9
Sir Oxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by enda1 View Post
Couple of points.

Constituency maps are wrong. I chose Dublin South and it highlighted all of Dublin county.

Secondly: The official ballot hasn't been finalised yet!!
This will basically screw up all you results and I suggest locking this vote thing until the ballots are finalised.

But it's open-ended, you can revisit your vote when the full lists are disclosed after Feb 9th.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
04-02-2011, 16:40   #10

Good work, congrats to the coders
Thanks from:
04-02-2011, 16:47   #11
hellboy99

Great idea Darragh, get the copyright on this quick before RTE start using it.

Quick question, how come this can be done up in no time and up and running on the Boards and the eVoting machines were a disaster lol.

Last edited by hellboy99; 04-02-2011 at 16:51.
Thanks from:
04-02-2011, 16:48   #12
davetherave

Great idea, but I agree gambiamans comment above. Would it be possible to lock or limit each user to their own constituency?

Just saw this message.

Revisit the site at any time to update your voting preferences, change your constituency, or just to check out the latest results.

Does that mean that, if I've already voted in my own constituency and I now vote in say Dublin Central will this erase my Kildare North results from the db?
Thanks from:
04-02-2011, 16:48   #13

Brilliant idea
Thanks from:
04-02-2011, 16:49   #14
enda1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gambiaman View Post
But it's open-ended, you can revisit your vote when the full lists are disclosed after Feb 9th.
Yeah but who will?

Seems a bit foolish to me. I think it's better to wait until the real lists are out. But hey, its a nice idea anyway, quite well implemented.
(2) thanks from:
04-02-2011, 16:51   #15
Carroller16

Send a message via Skype™ to Carroller16
lethal
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text