Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The "Other Sports" Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Will23

i hope one of ye were on the crusaders this morning gents... didn't get up early for it myself and only caught the last 20 mins..

by the looks it took them 50 mins to break down the sharks but pushed on when they did... do they have enough for the stormers next weekend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭joebucks

Will23 wrote: »
    i hope one of ye were on the crusaders this morning gents... didn't get up early for it myself and only caught the last 20 mins..

by the looks it took them 50 mins to break down the sharks but pushed on when they did... do they have enough for the stormers next weekend?

Had them on the FT and HT handicaps but unfort backed over 46.5 and Maitland anytime too so broke even. Wasn't hugely impressed by them today, a lot of Sharks errors gifted them point, and Sharks were dominating the breakdown until Alberts went off injured. However McCaw is due back for Stormers game so will be titanic clash between him and Burger. Hard to call but gonna stick with my initial hunch that home advantage should edge it for Stormers.

There looks to be great value again in the U20s tomorrow. Ireland -2 against Wales and Sth AFrica -25 against Fiji look very appealing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,237 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

edit,

joebucks wrote: »
    There looks to be great value again in the U20s tomorrow. Ireland -2 against Wales and Sth AFrica -25 against Fiji look very appealing.

Wow some win for Sth Africa- 104- 17
    Unfortunately Ireland were thrashed by Wales 38-24. Lads must've been on the pish!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭fkiely

What are you thinking for the semi's in the super rugby lads? Have to side with the reds and actually think the Stormers might do it as well.

Meant to be off gambling but paddy gave me a free 50 quid bet to use in July so lashed it on a big accie paying over 4,000.

Nadal outright in Wimbeldon
    Sharapova outright
    Reds -5
    Argentina outright
    Limerick -3
    Kilkenny -4
    Over 32.5 in the Cork - Kerry game

Good luck with whatever you're on lads.

• Advertisement

fkiely wrote: »
    What are you thinking for the semi's in the super rugby lads? Have to side with the reds and actually think the Stormers might do it as well.

Meant to be off gambling but paddy gave me a free 50 quid bet to use in July so lashed it on a big accie paying over 4,000.

Nadal outright in Wimbeldon
    Sharapova outright
    Reds -5
    Argentina outright
    Limerick -3
    Kilkenny -4
    Over 32.5 in the Cork - Kerry game

Good luck with whatever you're on lads.

Short on funds too. So nothing major on for me.

I have Djokovic for Wimbledon, Stormers for Super xv and Argentina Copa America in an accumulator to give me an interest in them.

Super XV semis are very hard to call. Crusaders with their big guns back are really gonna put it up to Stormers. Crusaders to score over 20.5 points at 5/6 is one I may take on.

Reds -5 looks good also. Haven't been impressed by Blues at all since Toeva got injured. Ioane back for Reds is huge too. To score a try in 80 for Ioane at 17/10 would be backed if I had the funds.

Your accie looks very good. Would give you a nice bank for RWC and the EPL eh!

Best of luck.

any thoughts on this weekends rugby lads? i think Canterbury will just have to much final day experience for QL, but my only doubt is have they too much long distance travelling done in the last 2 weeks?

the game a few weeks back ended in a 2 point controversial win for the reds, there may also be some revenge at stake?

what do ye think?

any thoughts on this weekends rugby lads? i think Canterbury will just have to much final day experience for QL, but my only doubt is have they too much long distance travelling done in the last 2 weeks?

the game a few weeks back ended in a 2 point controversial win for the reds, there may also be some revenge at stake?

what do ye think?

Can't see past the past the Crusaders in this one. They have the far superior pack and McCaw will dominate the breakdown, starving Cooper and Genia of any quality possession.

Crusaders have been on the road all year so I don't think fatigue from travelling will have too much influence on them at this point.

The game a few weeks ago is irrelevant IMO as there was nothing really at stake. This is the big time and Crusaders have proven that they have the bottle for it. They are also playing for their devastated region back home which will be an extra incentive for them and make it that bit more special for them to win it given what they have been through this season.

Cooper is capable of moments of genius but to do it in a final is another thing. He could produce some bits of genius to turn the game in Reds' favour but the chances of him doing nothing is far greater.

Should be an absolute cracker. Both sides have their credentials and I wouldn’t put anybody of backing either of them to be honest. I’ve been behind the Reds all season and they’ve won me a lot of money. I’ve been saying since around January or February that they’d win it but now that we’re down to the crunch, I’m less confident but still retain my original thoughts.

The Crusaders have so much motivation and certainly possess the firepower to cause the Reds big problems. They were imperious in their semi against the Stormers and blew the South African side away to be honest, not an easy feat. Their defence was relentless and their attack potent as it always is. Dan Carter hasn’t had his best season by his standards but by anybody else’s, he’s been superb. All out the backline the Crusaders are getting their players fit and back in form and what a scary prospect that backline is. Combined with a pack one couldn’t call weak, the Crusaders are rightly favourites. Throw in the experience they possess and the interesting fact that McKenzie lost both previous finals to the Crusaders and it would seem to be a logical choice to back the New Zealanders.

However, they are up against a side that continue to surpass everybody’s expectations and continue to surprise fans and neutrals alike. There is no doubt about it that the Reds have been the story of the season and deservedly finished top of the pile at the end of the regular season. How can one mention the Reds without mentioning the enigma that is Quade Cooper. ‘Coops’ was recently crowned player of the season and followed that up with perhaps his most exhilarating performance of the year against the Blues last weekend. His partnership with Genia can match any in the world and his dual with Carter will fascinating to watch. The attacking prowess of the Reds can be more than a match for the Crusaders on their day but it is up front where the battle might be won or lost for the team from Queensland. Up against the might of the Crusaders, the likes of Beau Robinson and Scott Higginbotham are going to have to have the games of their lives to keep up with messers McCaw and Read. How will Ben Daley and Greg Holmes match up against Crockett and Franks?

The game is more in the balance than the bookies are letting up I reckon and while I can see the majority of punters jumping on the Crusaders, I think a bit of value may lie with the home side.

Early thoughts given 10 points would be:

2.5 pts Reds to win at 8/5
    1.5 pts Reds to win by 1-5 points at 5/1
    4 pts Anything under 50 as the line for the points total and I’d be on the overs at 10/11
    1 pt Zac Guilford to score a try (odds not set yet)
    1 pt Quade Cooper to score a try (odds not set yet)

Good write up Kiely- knew ye'd be all over the Reds..If the Reds are to do it it will by only by 1-5 so I am gonna stick a saver on that to cover a large stake on the Crusaders.

Would be worried about the overs in the points too. I can see the game being played out like the Reds/Brumbies game in which the Brumbies starved the Reds of any decent ball and were ruthless in their finishing.

I think the points spread offered will be over 21.5 for the Crusaders and 19.5 for the Reds. And a total of over 43.5. I think Crusaders will cover the 21.5 but wouldnt be confident in the Reds convering 19.5 given Coopers wayward kicking at times.

• Advertisement

Had to be done really mate, couldn't back out of backing them at this stage! The points will need to be looked at in more detail once the line is decided alright. A lot was made of Coopers kicking at the weekend but in general he's quite decent. Really looking forward to it now..

Huddersfield +8 at 7/5 looks decent value tonight.

Only 10 mins now. I went with €60 Crusaders, €15 on Crusaders -3 and €5 Crusaders- 10. Also €12.5 on the Reds by 1-5 which returns €78 and covers other bets if Reds nick the win.

May do a points spread in running depending how open it is. Bookies as per usual seem to have the line bang on at 43.5

Shall be a great game anyway, enjoy it lads and good luck with any bets.

Great game. Reds win by 5 so stake back. Hope you lads who backed the Reds win got a nice payout.

Aus for the RWC?:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

Gonna take a punt on Massa @ 50/1:eek: & Alonso 5/1 to win British GP Betfred. They look to be benifiting from the new rule changes :D

user2011 wrote: »
    Gonna take a punt on Massa @ 50/1:eek: & Alonso 5/1 :) to win British GP Betfred. They look to be benifiting from the new rule changes :D

Cash :D

Australia -7 against Sth africa in Tri Nations opener on Saturday.

Strong Wallaby team looking to bounce back after embarrassment of loss to Samoa

TEAM: 15-Kurtley Beale; 14-James O'Connor, 13-Adam Ashley-Cooper, 12-Pat McCabe, 11-Digby Ioane, 10-Quade Cooper, 9-Will Genia, 8-Ben McCalman, 7-David Pocock, 6-Rocky Elsom, 5-James Horwill, 4-Rob Simmons, 3-Ben Alexander, 2-Stephen Moore, 1-Sekope Kepu.

REPLACEMENTS: 16-Saia Faingaa, 17-Pek Cowan, 18-Nathan Sharpe, 19-Matt Hodgson, 20-Scott Higginbotham, 21-Nick Phipps, 22-Anthony Faingaa.

Weakened Sth Afica team:

Revised team: 15-Gio Aplon; 14-Bjorn Basson, 13-Juan de Jongh, 12-Wynand Olivier, 11-Lwazi Mvovo, 10-Morne Steyn, 9-Ruan Pienaar, 8-Ashley Johnson, 7-Danie Rossouw, 6-Deon Stegmann, 5-Alistair Hargreaves, 4-Flip van der Merwe, 3-Werner Kruger, 2-John Smit, 1-Dean Greyling.

Replacements: 16-Chiliboy Ralepelle, 17-CJ van der Linde, 18-Ryan Kankowski, 19-Jean Deysel, 20-Charl McLeod, 21-Adrian Jacobs, 22-Patrick Lambie.

i agree aussie should bounce back bit-time, they were woeful last weekend, but hard to see the game being high scoring, opening round of tri-nations will be a nervy affair i reckon!! and SA should put it up to the aussie pack!

fiji +60 in the morning? 60 points is massive.... and in wet and windy NZ!

good luck with it man!

i agree aussie should bounce back bit-time, they were woeful last weekend, but hard to see the game being high scoring, opening round of tri-nations will be a nervy affair i reckon!! and SA should put it up to the aussie pack!

fiji +60 in the morning? 60 points is massive.... and in wet and windy NZ!

good luck with it man!

Good call on Fiji. Missed it myself. Will wait for in-play for Aussie handicap. Weather conditions look poor in Sydney so Steyn's boot could boss the game.

joebucks wrote: »
    Good call on Fiji. Missed it myself. Will wait for in-play for Aussie handicap. Weather conditions look poor in Sydney so Steyn's boot could boss the game.

looking a great call on the aussies now joe! took em -4 @ 4/7 myself.

• Advertisement

Anything under -20 this weekend in New Zealands favour should be snapped up. The Saffers are in an absolute mess and NZ should have a strong enough side out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,244 ✭✭✭Juwwi

fkiely wrote: »
    Anything under -20 this weekend in New Zealands favour should be snapped up. The Saffers are in an absolute mess and NZ should have a strong enough side out.

Its -17 now with PP I agree it looks a great bet.

robbie1977 wrote: »
    Its -17 now with PP I agree it looks a great bet.

there has to be some backlash in SA, half time handicap -8 could be better punt, NZ will come out blazing, but can see SA finish a bit stronger as the teams gels somewhat!

NZ team

New Zealand: 15 Mils Muliaina, 14 Cory Jane, 13 Conrad Smith, 12 Ma'a Nonu, 11 Zac Guildford, 10 Daniel Carter, 9 Jimmy Cowan, 8 Adam Thomson, 7 Richie McCaw (C), 6 Jerome Kaino, 5 Ali Williams, 4 Samuel Whitelock, 3 Ben Franks, 2 Andrew Hore, 1 Wyatt Crockett.
    Replacements:16 Corey Flynn, 17 John Afoa, 18 Jarrad Hoeata, 19 Liam Messam, 20 Piri Weepu, 21 Colin Slade, 22 Sonny Bill Williams.

Should be an easy win for the Kiwis. They'll be looking for big performance and will play full throttle for 80 mins. Aussies took foot off the gas in second half against SA. Couldve been alot bigger margin than 19 points. So many weak links in SA team, would fancy Ireland to beat them comfortably.

South Africa: 15 Pat Lambie, 14 Bjorn Basson, 13 Adi Jacobs, 12 Juan de Jongh, 11 Lwazi Mvovo, 10 Morne Steyn, 9 Ruan Pienaar, 8 Danie Rossouw, 7 Jean Deysel, 6 Deon Stegmann, 5 Alistair Hargreaves, 4 Gerhard Mostert, 3 Werner Kruger, 2 John Smit (c), 1 Dean Greyling.
    Replacements: 16 Chiliboy Ralepelle, 17 CJ van der Linde, 18 Ryan Kankowski, 19 Ashley Johnson, 20 Charl McLeod, 21 Wynand Olivier, 22 Odwa Ndungane.

Can't see any positives to this Saffie team.

PP have already dropped their handicap to -19, -17 still available in places.

gone very quiet round here lately... are we all broke??

any thoughts on the weekend?

think SA should beat NZ B Team! just about though!

france could beat us too... should be a good price on that!

hard to make a few punts from the internationals at the minute though... lots of experimentation going on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

I'd avoid them at the minute to be honest. Same with football friendlies.

gone very quiet round here lately... are we all broke??

any thoughts on the weekend?

think SA should beat NZ B Team! just about though!

france could beat us too... should be a good price on that!

hard to make a few punts from the internationals at the minute though... lots of experimentation going on!

Bad time of year to be betting on rugby I'm afraid.

SA + 3 is probably a decent bet as NZ have left out so many big players and SA desperate for a win.

Going to avoid the home nations games like the plague!

New Zealand announcedRWC sqaud today. No Sivivatu or Hosea Gear. Looks like Toeava is nailed on to start.

Toeava Top try scorer 20/1.

Gear was 5/1, so that price won't last long.

Could be some money made from F1 this weekend with Jenson Button.

He loves the changeable weather conditions he stormed too a win in Canada 4/5 races back after being last at one point during the race and also won last time out at Hungary. The weather forecasts for the Spa GP are just that very changeable he has done the third quickest times in free practice 1/2. If he can step it up a bit in qualifying tomrrow you'll know in the second part of quali if he can get in top two three spots. He's around 6/1 for the win and Evens and above for a top three spot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

user2011 wrote: »
    Could be some money made from F1 this weekend with Jenson Button.

He loves the changeable weather conditions he stormed too a win in Canada 4/5 races back after being last at one point during the race and also won last time out at Hungary. The weather forecasts for the Spa GP are just that very changeable he has done the third quickest times in free practice 1/2. If he can step it up a bit in qualifying tomrrow you'll know in the second part of quali if he can get in top two three spots. He's around 6/1 for the win and Evens and above for a top three spot.

EVENS SOUNDS GOOD FOR TOP 3 FINISH, I THINK HAMILTON WILL WIN

Advertisement