Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

19-01-2011, 10:43   #1
gloobag

Proper naan bread without a tandoor oven???

I've been looking for a naan recipe similar to what you'd get from an Indian restaurant (soft, chewy/almost elasticy consistency), but any I find/try seem to turn out similar to those crap ones you can buy in supermarkets

Anyone any advice/tips?
Advertisement
19-01-2011, 10:47   #2
Blisterman

I find the trick with the supermarket ones (the ones you get in the cooler cabinet are best) is to run them under the tap for a split second so they're wet on both sides, then heat in the oven at a lowish heat.
19-01-2011, 11:03   #3
nesbitt

Naan Bread

1 lb plain cream flour
1 sachet dried yeast
2 tsp caster sugar
half tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
2 tblsp light oil
150ml natural yogurt
1 large egg beaten
150mls warm milk

follow the video instuctions here http://www.videojug.com/webvideo/how...e-naan-bread-2

As I do not have a Kitchen aid with a dough hook, just kneaded the dough for about 5 mins, put some music on very relaxing

I preheat my oven to gas 9 and heat up heavy baking tray 2nd shelf from top.
Preheat your grill too for finishing off.

I made these last night, they were way better than the shop packed ones. Grand texture and lovely flavour. Mix made six large, naans. I have 3 (cooked) in freezer ready for next curry night.

Have tongs, oven gloves at the ready, and watch your time as these really do cook quickly.

I am definitely going to be making my own and stocking my freezer from now on

As it was my first go cooking the naans, I am going to try strong flour next time, and also try garlic and fresh finely chopped coriander kneaded into the dough just before shaping and rolling out the naans.

Last edited by nesbitt; 19-01-2011 at 11:09. Reason: typos
(3) thanks from:
19-01-2011, 12:12   #4
gloobag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blisterman View Post
I find the trick with the supermarket ones (the ones you get in the cooler cabinet are best) is to run them under the tap for a split second so they're wet on both sides, then heat in the oven at a lowish heat.
I've tried that, but still those supermarket naans are just total ****e and don't even come close to the texture you would get from a proper Indian restaurants naans.
19-01-2011, 16:19   #5
BaZmO*

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloobag View Post
I've been looking for a naan recipe similar to what you'd get from an Indian restaurant (soft, chewy/almost elasticy consistency), but any I find/try seem to turn out similar to those crap ones you can buy in supermarkets

Anyone any advice/tips?
I would've said that would be a more apt description of the supermarket bought Naans than the ones you'd get in a Restaurant.
Advertisement
19-01-2011, 20:36   #6
Darkginger

1/2 cup water
3/4 cup plain yogurt
2 tablespoons butter
3 cups plain flour
1/2 tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons quick yeast

Place all of the ingredients in a bread machine (or do it the hard way, by hand - mix and knead, and knead, and knead). Select the dough cycle and press start.

When the cycle is complete, remove dough from machine and divide into 12
parts. Preheat oven to 250 degrees (or as hot as it gets). Make each part into a naan bread shape (ie, flat and kinda triangular) and place on a greased baking sheet. Bake at 250 for
15 to 20 minutes until you get brownish spots all over, or a general browning.

Made these (again) the other night and if you eat them fresh they're really rather good.
Thanks from:
19-01-2011, 21:52   #7
nesbitt

I am going to try this naan bread recipe and method.

http://www.videojug.com/webvideo/how...e-naan-bread-3

Indian lady uses home oven and a pizza stone. The recipe does not use egg+milk, but yogurt + water and raising agents. I noted her method for mixing the dough, oiling her hand etc. quite detailed instructions. No kneading as such simply making smooth dough and leaving for 3 to 4 hours to double in size. I noticed she used cellophane sheet on her table top and very little flour to roll out her naans. Liked the tips to wet hands when handling the naans getting them onto pizza stone. Also noted how she simply pulled out the oven rack with the stone on just less than half way to place naans on to it, thus not losing that much heat from the stone. Obviously this could be a bit dangerous with kids or pets about so be careful doing this.... She says her oven was 500 degrees presume she is counting in degrees F so guess it would be Gas 9 preheated for 20 mins... scorching so use yer gloves and tongs Finished naans looked the real deal so worth a try

Naans should be so simple to make but unless you get some authentic tricks of the trade they are sooo tricky to try and replicate at home.

Last edited by nesbitt; 19-01-2011 at 21:56.
19-01-2011, 21:56   #8
Paparazzo

Those recipes are missing one vital ingredient: onion seeds
19-01-2011, 22:29   #9
Darkginger

I'd call those more of an optional ingredient - never had a naan in a restaurant with them in yet Sounds good though - any ideas where to buy them? (Outside of Dublin, and preferably mail order).

p.s. Nesbitt - loved that video - very close to the recipe I use, but obviously without the bread machine part. I'm going to give her method/recipe a go!

Last edited by Darkginger; 19-01-2011 at 22:32. Reason: forgot to say something!
Thanks from:
Advertisement
19-01-2011, 22:52   #10
BaZmO*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkginger View Post
I'd call those more of an optional ingredient - never had a naan in a restaurant with them in yet Sounds good though - any ideas where to buy them? (Outside of Dublin, and preferably mail order).
You can get them in Tesco
19-01-2011, 23:02   #11
The Sweeper
Patience, grasshoppa

Send a message via MSN to The Sweeper
The heat is the most important thing. I find that turning the oven up full and putting in a cast iron frying pan works best. Then I hold the cooked naan in a tongs and toss it gently over the flame of a gas burner to achieve toastiness.
Thanks from:
20-01-2011, 11:02   #12
nesbitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sweeper View Post
The heat is the most important thing. I find that turning the oven up full and putting in a cast iron frying pan works best. Then I hold the cooked naan in a tongs and toss it gently over the flame of a gas burner to achieve toastiness.
+1

Also, like the idea of finishing them off for a minute under the grill (preheated on full whack) too, just to be sure to be sure
21-01-2011, 08:59   #13
muckety

If you have to use supermarket naan (M&S are the best i've tried) - painting melted clarified butter on them before whacking them under the grill also helps give that 'authentic' flavour.
Thanks from:
21-01-2011, 11:27   #14
nesbitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by muckety View Post
If you have to use supermarket naan (M&S are the best i've tried) - painting melted clarified butter on them before whacking them under the grill also helps give that 'authentic' flavour.
+1

Yes, out of all the various supermarket ones, M&S had the best flavour and texture. They are in the chilled section and not vac packed.

However not consistently good across the range.... The Peshwiri (spelling appalling sorry) naan, very good, plain not so good. Mind you that tip about buttering and grilling would probably be just the trick
21-01-2011, 12:58   #15
the beer revolu

Years ago, somebody (Sharwoods, I think) used to do a naan bread mix - just add water, let it rise, roll and grill.
I seem to remember that they were quite good but saying that, they were probably the first naan bread I ever tasted.

Might still be available.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion