Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

17-01-2011, 21:47   #1
dellas1979

Condensation in the car

Hi guys,
Have terrible condensation in the car the last few days - for example, when I got in the car this morning, it was literally dripping off the inside of the windscreen.
Can I do anything to prevent it?
Advertisement
17-01-2011, 21:53   #2
patrickc

could be that pollen filter needs changing, helped alot with the same issue in a previous car of mine.
17-01-2011, 21:54   #3
johnayo

Have a good look around to see if you have any water leaks. Check the carpets to see if they are wet. Condensation is usually caused by this.
Thanks from:
17-01-2011, 22:05   #4
E39MSport

Whats the make/model?

Some types have common ingress problems.

From experience: -
W202 for example lets wter in though the bulk head when the drains fill.
E11 Corolla lets water in through the rear lens etc etc
MGB is like a focking sieve ;-)
17-01-2011, 22:06   #5
Max_Damage

Either get a few packs of silica gel (eBay has plenty of them) or buy a bag of baking soda, put it into an open container, and put it on the floor inside the car. It will soak up all the moisture. It worked a treat for me.

Last edited by Max_Damage; 17-01-2011 at 22:10.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
17-01-2011, 23:27   #6
si_guru

Switch the AirCon on if you have it.
17-01-2011, 23:34   #7
zziplex

My guess is also that a new pollen filter would help.
17-01-2011, 23:46   #8
_Nuno_

I have had that as well these past two days. My car is new so I doubt it's a filter, but it's definitely weird as none of the other cars parked beside mine had it.
18-01-2011, 00:10   #9
Rowley Birkin QC

Not sure as to prevention but a cure is to run a dehumidifier inside the car for a few hours.

Worked a treat for me over christmas when about a pint of water got spilled inside the car.
Advertisement
18-01-2011, 00:17   #10
neonitrix

what make is it - have seen a few seat / vw's with good bit of condensation lately.
18-01-2011, 00:58   #11
Stealthirl

theres also those out there the use the rec fuction and this will cause condatsation if left on aswell.best to use fresh air from outside

Do you see the pic below and the red arrow.do you have a selection like that? That shows an arrow with air only moving on the inside of the car? With only one button on this model, if the light is off, then it is pulling outside air in. If the button is selected, the light is on and it is only circulating inside air. Some cars have two buttons. One button has a pic like this and the other button has a pic of outside air coming into the vehicle. You need to switch to outside air so that you are pulling outside air into the car.
Thanks from:
18-01-2011, 01:05   #12
dnme

Yeah my beloved Corolla was soaked on all inside windows today (Monday) aswell. I had not driven it since Friday.

Bear in mind that over the weekend, we had massive rain and prior to that for the past few months we have had low humidity high pressure weather apart from the days it snowed.

Just dry as much as you can with a towel, take it for a spin and blast it with warm air and leave a window down a little. Make sure there is no sitting water on the floor or in front foot wells etc. Check your filters particularly your pollen filter. Give the car a good bit of use over the next few days.
18-01-2011, 01:14   #13
Gitb1

My car is giving me problems with condensation. Its only a few months old so I dont think its the pollen filter or an a/c problem.

I think its from during the snow when it was getting on the car mats and seats and the moisture is still trapped inside. I went out one particularly cold morning and my windscreen was frozen inside and out
18-01-2011, 08:00   #14
slave1

This is a coincidence, I had the car serviced on Saturday (07 Avensis) and since then there are two things I've noticed.
The condensation is unbelievable, water everywhere, all windows and heavy.
My dips have a very short throw (say two car lengths), I never drove with full beams on but have to now (not to do with that light adjuster dial).
I'll give the garage a call on this later in the morning (closed yesterday), any advice in particular?
18-01-2011, 08:02   #15
E39MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnme View Post
Yeah my beloved Corolla was soaked on all inside windows today (Monday) aswell. I had not driven it since Friday.

Bear in mind that over the weekend, we had massive rain and prior to that for the past few months we have had low humidity high pressure weather apart from the days it snowed.

Just dry as much as you can with a towel, take it for a spin and blast it with warm air and leave a window down a little. Make sure there is no sitting water on the floor or in front foot wells etc. Check your filters particularly your pollen filter. Give the car a good bit of use over the next few days.
I applied a fix to a common problem with my 98 Corolla over the weekend. They let water in through the rear light clusters. Cheap fix is to remove the cluster and apply silicon sealant around the housing and reapply while filling any gaps with the sealant.
Dry as a bone now.
Check for moisture under the carpets in the boot on either side over the wheel arch (in the cubby hole).

My pollen filter was also blocked so I binned it - massive difference with air flow now.

Dry as a bone now. It had been doing this for a while and it was starting to affect relays etc it was that damp.

For the OP, it could simply have got wet from wet feet or a good splash of rain while a door was open. If its a one off I wouldn't worry - run a dehumidifier in it on full tilt over night.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion