Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

10-01-2011, 21:43   #1
CluelessWiFi

What cable to connect telly to laptop?

Hi folks.

I have an LG 42P J350 telly, I want to connect it to my Sony Vaio laptop so I can play movies off the laptop on the telly.

Just want basic connection. Don't really care about the intricacies of different types of sound, etc.

What sort of cable do I need to do this?

Thank you!
Advertisement
10-01-2011, 21:44   #2
CluelessWiFi

PS - My flatmate has a MacBook pro - would I need an extra cable to connect that to telly, since it doesn't have an RGB or HDMI port?
10-01-2011, 21:47   #3
username123

Quote:
Originally Posted by CluelessWiFi View Post
Hi folks.

I have an LG 42P J350 telly, I want to connect it to my Sony Vaio laptop so I can play movies off the laptop on the telly.

Just want basic connection. Don't really care about the intricacies of different types of sound, etc.

What sort of cable do I need to do this?

Thank you!
If the laptop has a hdmi port and the telly has a hdmi port youll get a hdmi cable for less than a tenner thatll do the trick - dont get fooled into going for the ones with the goldplated connections etc... this is all rubbish, just a basic hdmi cable is fine.
10-01-2011, 21:48   #4
Crasp

What outputs does your laptop have? The easiest option would be a S-Video to RCA cable. If the Laptop has a HDMI output and you TV has a HDMI input then a simple HDMI cable will do.

Short of those 2 options, you will not get it to work for an economical price.

Macs aren't compatible with anything and thus require an adaptor.

The VGA output on laptops normally doesn't support TV out function.
10-01-2011, 21:49   #5
Crasp

This is the S Vid to RCA cable:

Should run you about €3.
Advertisement
10-01-2011, 22:31   #6
Owenw

Quote:
Originally Posted by CluelessWiFi View Post
PS - My flatmate has a MacBook pro - would I need an extra cable to connect that to telly, since it doesn't have an RGB or HDMI port?
If its a recent unibody model it will have a Mini Display Port.

You can get a Mini Display Port - HDMI adapter for a tenner on amazon and another tenner will get you a 1m HDMI cable.

If its an older MBP, I'm not sure, but it probably has DVI. You can get a DVI-HDMI cable like this.

Both of these connections will only give you video output.

For audio a 3.5mm stereo minijack - Left Right phono cable will send analogue audio to the TV from the MBP.
10-01-2011, 22:38   #7
Seosaimh77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasp View Post
This is the S Vid to RCA cable:
Should run you about €3.
I went with this option recently and the reception I got through to my tv was awful. Is there any settings that I can change to make it work?
10-01-2011, 22:51   #8
CluelessWiFi

Thanks folks, very helpful. Thanks especially to Owenw for the links! Yep, it's a unibody MacBook.

Silly question, but I presume that other end of the the red/yellow audio cable plugs into the USB hub?
10-01-2011, 22:59   #9
Owenw

Find out if the TV support S-video via SCART in the manual before buying anything.

S-video to SCART adapter or a S-vid - SCART cable might work better if your TV support it.

Or it might even have an S-video mini-din socket on the back (unlikely on newer TVs).

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion