Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

05-01-2011, 14:55   #31
n97 mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by To_be_confirmed View Post
n97 mini, you didn't quite answer my question that I could tell and I don't know quite enough about PPPoE to talk about PADT requests. Simply put, is your problem with Vodafone that they forcibly give your router a new IP address or that you have to manually restart the router/connection whenever this happens, as the router won't automatically renew the connections?

Could you mention if your issue one or the other or neither?
I have recompiled the firmware for my modem and have included a cron job that reboots it every 23 hours and 45 minutes. If it is up for 24 hours Vodafone will send a "restart" which will hang the modem, requiring me to physically power cycle the modem. The cron job allows me to avoid this hang.

Sometimes they send restarts, typically at weekends, that are maybe only 4 hours since my modem automatically rebooted itself. This causes the modem to require a physical power cycle.

I have put up with this for some time now, but the weekend restarts are getting more frequent, and they are the straw that broke the camel's back so to speak. Moving to another ISP would give me the convenience of having an IP address that doesn't change quite so frequently too.

If I didn't have the use of a stable eircom line I wouldn't have put up with Vodafone for as long as I have tbh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemeses
Can last for a week or a few days, varies but not much. I can check it out and monitor it if you want as I am with them.Might take a few days
Their tech support should be able to answer that question. I have always found them to be knowledgeable.
Advertisement
05-01-2011, 15:05   #32
Nemeses

Quote:
Originally Posted by n97 mini View Post
If I didn't have the use of a stable eircom line I wouldn't have put up with Vodafone for as long as I have tbh.

Their tech support should be able to answer that question. I have always found them to be knowledgeable.
Magnet's tech support line isn't the best to be honest from my own experience.
I don't need to contact them, My connection is fine and so are my IP addresses. If you need to know how often they renewals faster than my method. I'd advise you give them a call. or even better.. drop Magnet Rory a line here on boards, He's a pretty cool guy

I'd also advise ringing VF tech line - there could be an underlying cause to your connection which is causing it to restart more than once a day.(if I read your post correctly)
05-01-2011, 15:50   #33
homer911

Slightly off topic, but I am paying €4 a month to VF on top of my BB package for a static IP address. With 3 young teenagers in the house I want some control over their WIFI internet usage from their phones (they wont/cant pay for mobile broadband/3G)

OpenDNS with webfiltering and a fixed IP address gives some peace of mind, but its far from perfect
05-01-2011, 16:50   #34
n97 mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemeses View Post
I'd also advise ringing VF tech line -
Did so twice. You know more about it than they do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by home911
Slightly off topic, but I am paying €4 a month to VF on top of my BB package for a static IP address.
Unfortunately that doesn't stop the daily restarts afaik.
05-01-2011, 16:54   #35
n97 mini

Quote:
Magnet's tech support line isn't the best to be honest from my own experience...
I'd advise you give them a call.
Huh?
Quote:
drop Magnet Rory a line here on boards, He's a pretty cool guy
I did. Magnet's not going to be a runner as they can't provide a voice service on my line. Paying them for BB and someone else line rental and voice is going to be prohibitively expensive.
Advertisement
06-01-2011, 11:39   #36
lucernarian

Ok. I want to clarify that eircom can and do renew IP leases with no particularly annoying consequences for the router's connection. The IP address does change more often than not by looking at my eircom connection's logs.

Secondly, the problem with Vodafone is not so much that it has a 24-hour IP renewal lease. Even though that's what Vodafone themselves claim what the problem is. There are a number of threads about this on Broadband and Talk to Vodafone, and I've raised this issue with Vodafone but they haven't done anything about it.

Here's the good news: Some routers are unaffected by the 24 hour restarts or at least the ones I experimented with on an ex-BT connection. For example, the linksys WRT54G or its DSL equivalent. I used the ordinary WRT54G as a router and set up the BT voyager modem in bridge mode and this led to no drops of the connection over weeks even.

here's the not so good news: Another poster, I can't think of his name, a couple of years ago posted in a thread about this issue and discovered some discrepancies with BT's PPPoE setup which he thought was the cause of the automatic renewal failing. Something called http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TR-069. The TR-069 data that BT's RAS was sending to the router apparently had some incorrect values and this led to the PPPoE connection hanging when the lease expired.

I believe that the WRT54G and possibly the netopia 3347 and 2247 simply aren't TR-069 capable and the incorrect data becomes irrelevant. I haven't had a chance to test the netopia modems that used to be supplied by eircom and are ubiquitous in this country.

I have mentioned this to Vodafone before but the support guys over there keep claiming that it's just a result of a regular IP renewal when this is not the case

Last edited by lucernarian; 06-01-2011 at 16:38.
Thanks from:
06-01-2011, 16:00   #37
n97 mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by To_be_confirmed View Post
The TR-069 data that BT's RAS was sending to the router apparently had some incorrect values
I see references to TR069 in the source code for udhcp as used on my modem/router. Not sure if it's enabled but worth a closer look.
06-01-2011, 17:52   #38

Quote:

Most DSL providers provide a IP for 24hrs or so. I have never come across an eircom BB connection that has had an IP address for more than a day or two the most.

When I was with Eircom, I could keep the same IP address for at at least 1 month. It only changed with a modem reset. This was regular.
I must check if it's the same on this Vodafone connection.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion