Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

04-01-2011, 17:16   #1
n97 mini

What DSL providers don't do daily restarts?

Well known is the Vodafone (and Perlico and formerly BT) practice of restarting connections with a new IP address every 24 hours. This makes it impossible to use either of these ISPs for serious business use.

Aside from eircom and Digiweb, what other DSL providers don't do daily restarts and are thus suitable for serious use?

TIA
Advertisement
04-01-2011, 17:19   #2
pizzahead77

If you need an ISP for business use, why not request a static IP address from them as part of a business package?

Eircom charge a one off fee of about €50 for a static IP address if it isn't included as part of the bundle.

Smart Telecom usually don't renew the IP addresses every day.
04-01-2011, 17:21   #3

They'll sell You one if You sign up to a business connection, thats the idea.
04-01-2011, 18:02   #4
roast

If you're signed up to a residential package, you get what a residential package entails. That is, a dynamic IP.

Sign up to a business package, you can get a static IP bundle for an extra price.
04-01-2011, 18:05   #5

http://www.dyndns.com/
Advertisement
04-01-2011, 18:11   #6
hobochris

Quote:
Originally Posted by n97 mini View Post
Well known is the Vodafone (and Perlico and formerly BT) practice of restarting connections with a new IP address every 24 hours. This makes it impossible to use either of these ISPs for serious business use.

Aside from eircom and Digiweb, what other DSL providers don't do daily restarts and are thus suitable for serious use?

TIA
By serious use, I take it your talking about hosting a website, The upload speed on a domestic DSL package would not really suit this, causing delayed loading times for the site.

you can request a static IP from most ISPs but standard practice is a DHCP refresh once a day.

As suggested a DNS proxy like http://www.dyndns.com/ could be a work around, but the upload speed would still be my main concern.

It may be better to look into getting hosting such a a rented vps server as speed wont be an issue form the data center where the server is.
04-01-2011, 18:30   #7
korbend

Quote:

TIA
I am on a UPC residential package (Fibre Power Broadband 5Mb) and my IP address has been static for at least the last 3 months. I can't say before that as I never checked it.

I don't know whether it's guaranteed to remain static though.
Thanks from:
04-01-2011, 18:35   #8
roast

Quote:
Originally Posted by korbend View Post
I am on a UPC residential package (Fibre Power Broadband 5Mb) and my IP address has been static for at least the last 3 months. I can't say before that as I never checked it.

I don't know whether it's guaranteed to remain static though.
Its not guaranteed to stay static, although it more than likely will be. I've used UPC in several different houses, and the IP has only changed whenever I moved, with the exception of when my line was upgraded to Fiber. UPC dont even provide a static IP bundle.

With ADSL technology, the connection times out, and randomly selects an IP address from a pool of availible IP's. If you sign up for a static IP service, then a particular IP is reserved for you, and when the modem-exchange connection times out and is reset, the same IP is designated for your modem.
04-01-2011, 19:20   #9

Quote:
Define serious use. eircom also resets every night, as do most DSL providers. This should not be an issue to any serious user, except if a serious user wants to host a website, then they'll do it properly and use a web hosting company. Anything less is amateur and lazy, not to mention a security risk and likely a breech of policy.

If it's not for server use, what is the restart doing that's hampering your serious usage of the Internet connection?
Thanks from:
Advertisement
04-01-2011, 19:54   #10
n97 mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by jor el View Post
Define serious use.
SSH sessions, tunnels, and VPN use.

I have no requirement for hosting.
Quote:
eircom also resets every night, as do most DSL providers.
No they don't. Eircom don't (I have a line with them) and Digiweb don't (I used to have a line with them).

Quote:
This should not be an issue to any serious user
Hmm. Your post is generally unhelpful.
04-01-2011, 19:57   #11
n97 mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by korbend View Post
Thanks for the suggestion but unfortunately UPC is not an option at the moment, tho I had a line with them in the past and the IP address didn't change for the 15 months or so I was with them. The service was also very reliable.
04-01-2011, 21:54   #12
roast

Quote:
SSH sessions, tunnels, and VPN use.

I have no requirement for hosting.

No they don't. Eircom don't (I have a line with them) and Digiweb don't (I used to have a line with them).

Hmm. Your post is generally unhelpful.
Eircom certainly do reset. You may keep the same IP address as the previous day, but they do reset, and you could find yourself with a totally different IP. Unless of course you have purchased a static IP. Digiwebs DSL broadband is also the same.
04-01-2011, 22:34   #13
n97 mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by roast View Post
Eircom certainly do reset. You may keep the same IP address as the previous day, but they do reset, and you could find yourself with a totally different IP. Unless of course you have purchased a static IP. Digiwebs DSL broadband is also the same.
My logs for the last 10 days show my eircom connection has not changed.

When I was with Digiweb one of the appeals was the IP address is static. I don't recall my connection ever being reset.

There is a blog post here about the kind of issues Vodafone's practice causes:

http://taint.org/2006/04/13/140841a.html

Last edited by n97 mini; 04-01-2011 at 22:37.
05-01-2011, 02:38   #14
roast

Quote:
My logs for the last 10 days show my eircom connection has not changed.

When I was with Digiweb one of the appeals was the IP address is static. I don't recall my connection ever being reset.

There is a blog post here about the kind of issues Vodafone's practice causes:

http://taint.org/2006/04/13/140841a.html
From the customers end, you cannot view when the modem times out. In fact, the modem will display a log showing how long it has been connected to the exchange, but not display when the exchange times out. Its not a modem/CPE/client side change, its an exchange change.
05-01-2011, 04:22   #15
lucernarian

Quote:

TIA
I just want to clarify something: When you say "restart", do you mean that there is some sort of IP address change and that's that, or do you mean that when the IP address changes, you either have to turn off and back on the router or perform a manual restart of the router? Two very different issues, and I have seen the latter happening with Vodafone and ex-BT connections on certain modems.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion