Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

29-12-2010, 14:44   #1
jorgena

Recycling/donating toys

Can anyone advise on where I can donate some of my toddlers' toys? Charity shops these days tend not to want to accept oddments or visibly used things, and bring centres don't usually have toy bins. The toys are not broken but one is graffiti'd (a toy garage - my older son drew on it) and there are various little figures that used to belong to sets. I was thinking of maybe a toddler group or women's refuge and wonder if anyone has any specific suggestions in the south Dublin area.
Advertisement
30-12-2010, 11:16   #2
Macha

Child groups are a good idea although unfortunately I don't know of any specific ones. You could also put them up on www.adverts.ie in the free section.
30-12-2010, 11:40   #3
Dilbert75

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorgena View Post
Can anyone advise on where I can donate some of my toddlers' toys? Charity shops these days tend not to want to accept oddments or visibly used things, and bring centres don't usually have toy bins. The toys are not broken but one is graffiti'd (a toy garage - my older son drew on it) and there are various little figures that used to belong to sets. I was thinking of maybe a toddler group or women's refuge and wonder if anyone has any specific suggestions in the south Dublin area.
Best of luck with it. I've been trying for many months to find a home for several sacks of soft toys, in perfect (barely used) condition, but have been unable to. I've contacted family refuges in the South East and in Dublin but nobody seems to want them if they're not new. I've just this morning contacted a charity working with kids in Eastern Europe and am awaiting their reply. Its an awful shame though - perfectly good toys going to waste.
30-12-2010, 12:02   #4
Cookie_Monster

Send a message via Skype™ to Cookie_Monster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilbert75 View Post
Best of luck with it. I've been trying for many months to find a home for several sacks of soft toys, in perfect (barely used) condition, but have been unable to. I've contacted family refuges in the South East and in Dublin but nobody seems to want them if they're not new. I've just this morning contacted a charity working with kids in Eastern Europe and am awaiting their reply. Its an awful shame though - perfectly good toys going to waste.
It is pretty sickening, you know at the end of the day the kids will love them regardless but bureaucracy gets in the way again
30-12-2010, 14:43   #5
Capt'n Midnight
00:00

Hospitals don't want cuddly toys because they can't be kept clean. Same reason you should not give them to playgroups.

Some charity shops are pickier than others, Oxfam want perfect books, but they sell them for more than other charity shops that take books that are more used. Shop around for places to give the non-cuddly toys to.
Advertisement
31-01-2011, 15:37   #6
Peppa

I give all my outgrown toys, books and dress-up clothes to a creche - they love getting them as they go through so many.

Also I get the satisfaction of knowing that lots of other kids will get plenty of use from them

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion