Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

National: Cold spell Charts/ Media/ Forecasts (Strictly no chit-chat) (15/12/2010)

• 14-12-2010 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,533 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Please keep chic-chat to the other thread.

ecmwind.096.png

look at that beauty! bone chilling upper atmosphere wind straight from the arctic freezer! we are talking polar low territory and active troughs crossing down over us!

feel free to edit this mods as you see fit.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

latest GFS extending lifetime of the upcoming cold spell into christmas.

Snow risk remains for anywhere in Ireland from Thursday into Tuesday

• Registered Users Posts: 5,946 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

T+186 on the latest GFS has a potent low over the south of ireland moving up and away to our east on wednesday next, Fantasy island i know but that would surely fall as sleet/snow given the temp charts for the same timeframe? Precip looks very heavy.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,533 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

uksnowdepth.png

personally i think this chart maybe slightly conservative. i think parts of Ulster could have 4-6 inches of lying snow by Saturday afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

If im not asking a stupid question, what do the different colours mean in that 1st chart?

wind speed snaps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,009 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

snaps wrote: »
    If im not asking a stupid question, what do the different colours mean in that 1st chart?

I may be wrong but I think speeds ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

WRT Friday - there is an increasing risk of more significant snowfall across the country during the day. Looks like a frontal trough may move through. On the down side the mild sector will be close to the South coast so things look sleety there. But could be appreciable snow elsewhere. Have to be watched.

78_30.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

snaps wrote: »

I'm still trying to figure out the general themes of the charts, but usually there's a legend of some description on the charts. In this one, the title at the top of the chart is "Wind speed/direction" at 850hpa (not sure myself yet what this bit means) and the side has the colour coding.

I've seen a good few references to 850hpa in the threads here over the last while. It sounds like it's a pressure, but is it related to altitude or anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

I'm still trying to figure out the general themes of the charts, but usually there's a legend of some description on the charts. In this one, the title at the top of the chart is "Wind speed/direction" at 850hpa (not sure myself yet what this bit means) and the side has the colour coding.

I've seen a good few references to 850hpa in the threads here over the last while. It sounds like it's a pressure, but is it related to altitude or anything?

Ye its relative to 1 mile or so above the surface.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Iancar29 wrote: »

Thanks. Ive wOndered that too. It'll be my new thing learnt today!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

Iancar29 wrote: »

Without wanting a training session in all this (as I plan to get some books and learn a bit more myself), is there a law or rule of thumb that says how this relates to ground level? If this is a 2 semester answer, I can go digging myself rather than bogging here down...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 eoinbergin

Hey guys last week i had a link to a great wind model which showed the progression over a couple of days and i cant seem to find it. I looked through the helpful links section but to no avail. Does anyone here have a good links that are not in the thread on links thanks

eoinbergin wrote: »
    Hey guys last week i had a link to a great wind model which showed the progression over a couple of days and i cant seem to find it. I looked through the helpful links section but to no avail. Does anyone here have a good links that are not in the thread on links thanks
    http://magicseaweed.com/msw-surf-charts2.php?chart=1&res=750&type=wind&starttime

http://www.xcweather.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 16,533 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

brack3.gif

a chart to savour!

the 510 dam line that close by is incredible!!

we could have a prolonged spell of snow moving down across the country based on this chart. i also think unexpected features could well pop up over the weekend. so i feel it's reasonable to say most places in Ireland will have seen at least a bit of snow by Sunday! well i don't want to jinx things but we are getting into reliable timeframe now!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

I asked this in the other thread but I think it got lost in all the posts, how is this shaping up in comparison to the event that we had around this time last year?? I remember seeing the heaviest snow of my life exactly one year ago this coming Sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

Just take a look above Iceland it has just came into view looks impressive.

http://www.sat24.com/Region.aspx?country=eu&sat=ir&type=loop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭th3 s1aught3r

hotwhiskey wrote: »

Is that the Greenland express?
    I assume its going to come down and push that Atlantic front out of the way?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Brenireland

hotwhiskey wrote: »

Cheers for that looking good,moving fairly lively.... early tomorrow evening one would imagine we may see the floodgates open?...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Friday looking great for the whole country bar the south west where it could be marginal with Dew points hovering around zero but still probably ok.

10121718_1412.gif

10121718_1412.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 9,009 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Friday looking great for the whole country bar the south west where it could be marginal with Dew points hovering around zero but still probably ok.

10121718_1412.gif

10121718_1412.gif

:)

prectypeuktopo.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

When it says say 2-4mm of snow, am I correct in thinking that translates into a few inches as its describing the depth as if it fell as rain?

ECM0-72.GIF?14-0

ECM going for a heavy period of snowfall across the country on Friday similar to the GFS. You can make out the warm sector off the South coast - spot on like the GFS.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Inquitus wrote: »
    When it says say 2-4mm of snow, am I correct in thinking that translates into a few inches as its describing the depth as if it fell as rain?

1mm is approx. = 1cm of snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭qwert2

I don't mean to be a snow kill joy, but I think we're in for a lot of cold weather and maybe not too much snow? I could be wrong. Does anyone think we're talking 1982 levels here?

qwert2 wrote: »
    I don't mean to be a snow kill joy, but I think we're in for a lot of cold weather and maybe not too much snow? I could be wrong. Does anyone think we're talking 1982 levels here?

No, in a word:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Netweather will go into meltdown after the ECM 96hr chart!

Shows snowstorm over London!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Looking at the speed of the Greenland Express is it due to hit the country a little early ???

image.ashx?country=eu&type=slide&time=&index=2&sat=ir

• Registered Users Posts: 5,946 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

qwert2 wrote: »

I hear this thrown around quite a bit, more so in the last few days. 1982 was an extreme event in ireland while it's possible (likely?) that something like that will happen again i don't think it will be this weekend. But then again i don't really know what i'm talking about as i'm only 22 so wasn't around and only have basic weather knowledge :pac:

Netweather will go into meltdown after the ECM 96hr chart!

Shows snowstorm over London!

Not only London - the (occluded probrably) front trails back over Ireland. And that after a prolonged period of snow on Friday.

ECM1-96.GIF?14-0

And more troughing from the South on Sunday

ECM0-120.GIF?14-0

That's 3 days of potential more prolonged snowfall. Interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭maiden

Whats are the lowest temps to expect?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement