Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

15-07-2011, 22:31   #601
mogsie123

model number 185-28j-gb-hcu-roi. and at the risk of sounding like a smaart ass it shows sweet f all on ch 45.
Advertisement
15-07-2011, 22:35   #602
mogsie123

now the walker has finished with its scan in the kitchen and where it has detected the signal its saying that it is weak and is flicking in and out. i dont know whats going on with it.
15-07-2011, 22:36   #603
The Cush

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogsie123 View Post
now i am totally confused. what is a red and black tip aerial. all i know is i wenty to an electronics store. asked for a digital areial to pick up saorview he gave me one and told me point it for mt leinster.

when he said point it i took that to mean that the rings of the aerial should point towards the target. should i aim it for the sky
Terrestrial TV aerials are grouped for a certain frequency range and are allocated a colour code for easier ID (see this page), normally a coloured plastic bung at the tip if the aerial or coloured plastic tape somewhere on the aerial.

Mt Leinster is Group B (yellow tip) horizontially mounted.

If Mt Leinster coverage was good enough for Waterford city they wouldn't have installed a new transmitter in the area.

Quote:
when he said point it i took that to mean that the rings of the aerial should point towards the target. should i aim it for the sky
A Group A aerial pointed towards Gallows Hill with the pins (directors) vertical (the one in the picture is horizontal).

Last edited by The Cush; 15-07-2011 at 22:47.
15-07-2011, 22:44   #604
The Cush

Quote:
all i know is i wenty to an electronics store. asked for a digital areial to pick up saorview he gave me one and told me point it for mt leinster.

How are you splitting the signal from the attic aerial between the two rooms?
15-07-2011, 22:45   #605
mogsie123

so what is it i should do. or does this mean i was sold the wrong aerial
Advertisement
15-07-2011, 22:50   #606
The Cush

Quote:
so what is it i should do. or does this mean i was sold the wrong aerial
Possibly the correct aerial for Mt Leinster, might not be the correct aerial for your location.

Some information here from RTÉNL regarding the reception of Saorview, aerials etc. - http://www.rtenl.ie/wp-content/uploa...ctober2010.pdf
15-07-2011, 22:52   #607
mogsie123

i installed the digital aerial into the attic and connected it to the coax that runs to the box at the side of the hose. there i split it using a splitter and used two coax cables installed by the previous owners for upc or sky i am not sure. one goes to the sunroom where the walker tv is working great with saorview and the other coax goes to the kitchen where i cant get a signal for saorview using the tevion tv.
15-07-2011, 23:09   #608
The Cush

Quote:
i installed the digital aerial into the attic and connected it to the coax that runs to the box at the side of the hose. there i split it using a splitter and used two coax cables installed by the previous owners for upc or sky i am not sure. one goes to the sunroom where the walker tv is working great with saorview and the other coax goes to the kitchen where i cant get a signal for saorview using the tevion tv.
A guess, maybe the weak Mt Leinster signal arriving at your attic aerial split between two rooms is not good enough by the time it reaches the Tevion TV's tuner? or some bad co-ax cable between the aerial and the TV points? or some bad connections?
15-07-2011, 23:27   #609
STB

Quote:
model number 185-28j-gb-hcu-roi. and at the risk of sounding like a smaart ass it shows sweet f all on ch 45.
Okay well these TVs are made by UMC in Slovakia (not Vestel). They make a range of Tv's and rebrand them. Thats for the Tv anoraks.

Back to your issue Page 16 of the manual tells you how to manual tune. It also has an option within that "Channel Menu" called signal info, which will tell you whether you have a signal.

You need to make sure that when you split the signal that the cables and connectors are not loose - incorrectly wired. That is the root of your problem. In the event that they are okay - you may then need a signal booster/amplifier to carry the signal to the sunroom. As "the Cush" says above it sounds like signal degradation by the time it gets to the Sunroom.
Advertisement
15-07-2011, 23:37   #610
Gerry Wicklow

Silly questions guys, but could the splitter be sending TV to one room and (former)sky to the other?
18-07-2011, 14:54   #611
mogsie123

the signal is perfect in the sunroom and the walker 32"can pick it up no bother. when i put the 19" tevion in the sun room it wont pick up any signal.
18-07-2011, 15:16   #612
mogsie123

do different tv's need different signal strengths
18-07-2011, 21:16   #613
recyclebin

I notice that Argos are now selling a Saorview approved box with the Bush logo. It's for sale at €69.99. I presume it's another rebadged Vestel box.

I wonder if there is going to be any non Vestel boxes appoved for Saorview in the near future? Besides the Triax one that is

Does anybody know if the Vestel boxes all have the same specification?

So far we have the following approved set top boxes:

Akura AVT8010
Bush B650 (not on saorview website yet!!)
Laurus T8010
Triax TR112
Walker WP10DTB
Walker WP11DTB
Walker WP12DTB
26-07-2011, 23:31   #614
marclt

How's about this TV for compatibility? http://www.dabs.com/products/aoc-add...m_content=i800

Anyone got any experience of these sets?
30-07-2011, 13:43   #615
Badgermonkey
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by marclt View Post
How's about this TV for compatibility? http://www.dabs.com/products/aoc-add...m_content=i800

Anyone got any experience of these sets?
Yes, there's an MHEG5 (or lack thereof) issue AOC are experiencing. I've had it confirmed to me by head office and am awaiting a resolution.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...p?t=2056342697

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion