Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

10-11-2010, 23:27   #1
pboyle12

Irish gun licence application form?

Im wondering about the FCA1
SECTION 3 - FIREARM DETAILS

where it asks for YOUR new firearm details, make.model,type etc. But how are you meant to buy a firearm if you do not have a licence to do so?
Advertisement
10-11-2010, 23:31   #2
jap gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by pboyle12 View Post
Im wondering about the FCA1
SECTION 3 - FIREARM DETAILS

where it asks for YOUR new firearm details, make.model,type etc. But how are you meant to buy a firearm if you do not have a licence to do so?
go to a firearms dealer, choose the firearm you want, place a deposit and the dealer will give you a paperwork stating what type of firearm you are buying..

what are you thinking of getting
10-11-2010, 23:35   #3
pboyle12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jap gt View Post
go to a firearms dealer, choose the firearm you want, place a deposit and the dealer will give you a paperwork stating what type of firearm you are buying..

what are you thinking of getting
Right thanks a million. Remington 870 pump-action.
10-11-2010, 23:42   #4
jap gt

Quote:
best thing to do is find a dealer that will give you the best deal, he will tell you what you need to do, if he doesnt give much info post up here lads here will be happy to help out

good luck with it
10-11-2010, 23:47   #5
lamper35

Quote:
Correct me if im wrong but i think pumpaction shotguns are restricted
Advertisement
10-11-2010, 23:49   #6
jap gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamper35 View Post
Correct me if im wrong but i think pumpaction shotguns are restricted
as far as i know they arent aslong as they cant hold more than 3 cartridges

op what type of shooting are you thinking of doing
10-11-2010, 23:56   #7
lamper35

Quote:
Originally Posted by jap gt View Post

op what type of shooting are you thinking of doing
cool jap that clears that up then
11-11-2010, 00:20   #8
Cass

Send a message via MSN to Cass
You pick out the firearm you want to buy. You place a deposit on the firearm. The dealer will provide you with a letter/note on headed paper stating the make, model, serial number of the firearm. You fill in your FCA1 and attach the note from the dealer. Submit your application, and upon successful granting of the license you get the actual license and return to the dealer, pay the balance and off you go.

Do no forget you will need to do a competency course prior to applying for your first firearm and submit the certificate, you get after successfully completing the course, with your application/FCA1.

I say this as your question about how to fill in the form, and how to buy a gun seems to be one of many regular questions of someone new to shooting.
11-11-2010, 00:31   #9
FISMA

An Excellent Choice

Quote:
Excellent choice!

Go check out Remington's WebSite. They are practically giving stocks away.
http://www.remingtoncountrystore.com...86&topcat=1038

Don't know if they ship to Ireland, but hopefully, you have a cousin in the states.
Advertisement
11-11-2010, 17:09   #10
bunny shooter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezridax View Post
............Do no forget you will need to do a competency course prior to applying for your first firearm and submit the certificate, you get after successfully completing the course, with your application/FCA1..........
And/or you can prove to your Supers satisfaction, which is at his/her discretion, that you are competant with a/the firearm. Best to ask your in your local station what they require
11-11-2010, 17:30   #11
pboyle12

Cheers for all the replys. And also im only 16 btw so Im not too knowledgable on all the ins and outs I need. I have 2 land permissions but I havent got the compentancy course. Does anyone know where in the dublin area this can be done and how long does it go on for?
11-11-2010, 17:44   #12
dCorbus

This sounds very much like a first-time application, so to quote Fachtna:

Quote:

First time applicants for firearms certificates may demonstrate that they have acquired a degree of competency in the use of firearms by satisfying the issuing person of having attended a firearms training course, or of having joined an authorised rifle or pistol club or range for the purpose of gaining competency in firearms use, or having previously been granted a firearms training certificate.
So, as this would be a first-time application for a restricted firearm the OP would have to first discuss it with their "issuing person", i.e. the Chief Super, and since it's for a shotgun, not a rifle or pistol, they would have to have, no doubt, "attended a firearms training course" (to quote the Commissar).

Quote:
Correct, jap gt AFAIK - But also, the OP should make sure he doesn't get the Remington 870 with the pistol grip as that would be restricted on that basis also.

Quote:
im only 16 btw so Im not too knowledgable on all the ins and outs
I have to say, and I don't want to sound like a pr**k here, but should a 16 year old with obviously no shooting experience or knowledge not be looking at something other than a pump-action shotgun as their first gun?

Maybe some tuition from more experience shooters and some direction as to the safe use of shotguns would be a good starting point. Some clays or accompanying experienced lads out in the field, with an sxs or o/u may be a better place to start?
11-11-2010, 17:45   #13
Cass

Send a message via MSN to Cass
As bunnyshooter said sometimes the Gardai will accept previous experience with a firearm as being adequate, but at your age this may be an issue and they may still require the course. As advised ring your local station and ask what the necessary requirements would be.

If a course is necessary contact the NARGC as they will advise as to the closest range that provides the courses and where.

Just to clarify for all, it is only restricted if it has a pistol grip or capable of holding more than 3 cartridges.

Last edited by Cass; 11-11-2010 at 17:48.
Thanks from:
11-11-2010, 17:49   #14
pboyle12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dCorbus View Post
This sounds very much like a first-time application, so to quote Fachtna:

So, as this would be a first-time application for a restricted firearm the OP would have to first discuss it with their "issuing person", i.e. the Chief Super, and since it's for a shotgun, not a rifle or pistol, they would have to have, no doubt, "attended a firearms training course" (to quote the Commissar).

Correct, jap gt AFAIK - But also, the OP should make sure he doesn't get the Remington 870 with the pistol grip as that would be restricted on that basis also.

I have to say, and I don't want to sound like a pr**k here, but should a 16 year old with obviously no shooting experience or knowledge not be looking at something other than a pump-action shotgun as their first gun?

Maybe some tuition from more experience shooters and some direction as to the safe use of shotguns would be a good starting point. Some clays or accompanying experienced lads out in the field, with an sxs or o/u may be a better place to start?
I have been shooting guns of all types since I was about 10 as my dad and uncles always had guns but when they applied for their licences things were different so im just trying to get my facts right now before I get a gun of my own as I love clay shooting and hunting.
11-11-2010, 17:58   #15
jap gt

can i ask why a pump action, i fired one once and hated it

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion