Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

27-10-2010, 20:48   #1
Sharkey 10

Brooklyn brewery

Ive heard and seen good reviews about there beers but the only one i think ive seen in Ireland was the Brooklyn lager . Ive heard that they are using brewing methods that were used before prohibition and that they are vastly superior to most of Americas beers.
Has anyone tried their beers? What places stock them?
Advertisement
27-10-2010, 20:55   #2
JnarF

There's a lot of their different beers available in Ireland now. Think I even heard someone mention their lager is for sale in some SuperValu's?
I've had a few different ones. Thought they were all very good. Their 10% Chocolate Stout was very tasty but not for abusing! You can get a lot of their range on www.drinkstore.ie , used it myself a few times. Great service.
27-10-2010, 21:40   #3
BeerNut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkey 10 View Post
Ive heard that they are using brewing methods that were used before prohibition
Every brewery does

Quote:
and that they are vastly superior to most of Americas beers.
Wouldn't go that far, but they are mostly very good, especially the lager and the Black Chocolate stout. You'll get them in most any decent beer offy or pub: the green and yellow pins on this map.
27-10-2010, 21:42   #4
Technocentral

I had a few Brooklyn East India Pale Ale's a while ago from Redmonds in Ranelagh, they were absolutely outstanding.
27-10-2010, 21:57   #5
Sharkey 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerNut View Post
Every brewery does

Wouldn't go that far, but they are mostly very good, especially the lager and the Black Chocolate stout. You'll get them in most any decent beer offy or pub: the green and yellow pins on this map.
wherever i read the thing about prohibition i got the impression thst there were a lot of changes in american beers before and after prohibition
Advertisement
27-10-2010, 22:01   #6
BeerNut

Quote:
wherever i read the thing about prohibition i got the impression thst there were a lot of changes in american beers before and after prohibition
There were certainly a lot fewer breweries. But I think the marketing people for the bigger, older, craft breweries (like Brooklyn) use it as a way of saying "we don't make Bud-style light lager".
28-10-2010, 13:22   #7
goldencleric

I buy up a load of Brooklyn lager when it goes on special in my local Supervalu (which it is now ) and i really really like it, so on the recommendation of BeerNut I headed out to drinkstore and picked up some Brooklyn Chocolate Stout which is absolutely amazing!

Got the IPA as well which was quite nice!
28-10-2010, 16:53   #8
MANUTD99

[
Quote:
QUOTE=goldencleric;68727381]I buy up a load of Brooklyn lager when it goes on special in my local Supervalu (which it is now )
Can I ask which Supervalu you have seen it on special? The nearest one to me would just be off O' Connell St!
28-10-2010, 16:59   #9
BeerNut

Aston Quay had it on special when I was in last week.
Advertisement
28-10-2010, 18:14   #10
goldencleric

yeah I get mine in Swords so Aston Quay is probably the best place
29-10-2010, 00:50   #11
Focalbhach

I picked some up in Aston Quay today (Thursday) - the label on the shelf said that the €8.99 offer is valid until 30th October (Saturday), after which it reverts to €10-odd.

So get movin'!
29-10-2010, 20:37   #12
MANUTD99

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldencleric View Post
yeah I get mine in Swords so Aston Quay is probably the best place
Got it, drinking it and liking it.

Happily surprised with the great selection of beers available in Supervalue although I didnt see much Irish beers except the normal ones. Slightly annoying sometimes people think its nicer just because its foreign!!

Rant over,, back to my Brooklyn now!!

Last edited by MANUTD99; 29-10-2010 at 20:55.
29-10-2010, 20:57   #13
BeerNut

Quote:
Originally Posted by MANUTD99 View Post
I didnt see much Irish beers except the normal ones. Slightly annoying sometimes people think its nicer just because its foriegn!
It's more a distribution issue, I'd say. The Irish micros supply direct, not through a wholesaler, so it's a lot more work for a supermarket to get them in. Especially a supermarket that's owned by a wholesaler, as I believe SuperValu is.
29-10-2010, 21:07   #14
MANUTD99

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerNut View Post
It's more a distribution issue, I'd say. The Irish micros supply direct, not through a wholesaler, so it's a lot more work for a supermarket to get them in. Especially a supermarket that's owned by a wholesaler, as I believe SuperValu is.
I understand what your saying. Just a pity we don't see some more Irish beers in there. Hopefully in the future as I think we have some excellent beers available.
29-10-2010, 21:10   #15
BeerNut

Quote:
Originally Posted by MANUTD99 View Post
Hopefully in the future as I think we have some excellent beers available.
Absolutely. And I should counter the above by pointing out that Superquinn have always gone the extra mile for Irish craft beers. I remember buying Finian's, Biddy Early and Dublin Brewing Company in there, they stuck with Carlow all the way through and now they've added Porterhouse and (am I right here, noby?) Dungarvan is on the way.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion